• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Superhot Leaf Comparison of Seedlings

Purple is usually high levels of light producing anthocyanin pigments. Anthocyanins have been shown to act as a "sunscreen", protecting cells from high-light damage by absorbing blue-green light, thereby protecting the tissues from photoinhibition, or high-light stress.

POTAWIE said:
Purple is usually high levels of light producing anthocyanin pigments. Anthocyanins have been shown to act as a "sunscreen", protecting cells from high-light damage by absorbing blue-green light, thereby protecting the tissues from photoinhibition, or high-light stress.
You have the scientific reason, and I just noticed it while experimenting growing methods. :cool:

QuebecFire said:
Aj purple leave and branch are normal dont worry ;) all my super hot have purple branch .....but if the leave stay purple it could be because you watering them to much !!

Good thing to know QF...thanks...

GrumpyBear said:
well i have no doubt in my mind that AJ has better lit plants then me so i think that explains it...

Yeah and it is costing me....am expecting my electric bill to increase about 150 this month and next....then I can turn most of them off and use good ol' Texas sunshine....

Omri said:
Under what light source are you growing them?
I had the same type of plants, from the same source. The ones under poor winter sunlight stayed green, and the ones under bulbs turned purple.

EDIT:
GB, he sure has. the plants are getting first class care.

Thank you again Omri...

No they don't. My seeds are directly from Frontal Agritech so perhaps a bit different strain? As everyone said, it could just be due to lighting differences as well.

I even noticed a difference between pods on Bhut Jolokia-CPI and Bhut Jolokia-Chile Seed Company. Supposedly, they came from the same source! Who knows???

Chris

AlabamaJack said:
Cmpman...do your Bihs' have the purplish tinge around the leaf edges?

Will be interesting this growing season to "compare notes" on like-similar plants huh....I am so very thankful for stumbling across this site last fall....thanks to all of you I am learning to grow peppers...

Omri said:
Well that explains it. :lol:
My guess is that the plants aren't very bushy, right?
Well compared to the some of the others they're actually doing quite well. We have had a sunny week though, cold but sunny.

rainbowberry said:
Well compared to the some of the others they're actually doing quite well. We have had a sunny week though, cold but sunny.
Oh sweet! we're starting to get some sun as well. :)

POTAWIE said:

I totally missed this post Potawie.....so does that mean I am giving my plants too much light and should increase the distance from the plants?

They look healthy to me, I wouldn't worry about it. Are the purpley ones getting any different light than the others?

nope, exactly the same....matter of fact, all of the seedlings are getting exactly the same....each fixture has a 4100K and a 6500K bulb in it....

hmmmmmm, I can't remember off the top of my head, I will have to look when I get home....should be in a couple of hours...I am leaving in about 2 hours.

It really doesn't matter, all my by best lit plants had it (like I mentioned before).
Also if you keep them away from light, they'll turn green again.

AJ, I also have this purple tint on several bhut jolokia and scotch bonnet plants. I think it is a sign the plants are happy and receiving all the light they need. I was hoping this purple was a strain and would continue through out the plants life. Guess not. It seems this is more common with the super hots than the fast growing annuums.

usually from what i've read it's also if the temperatures are slightly low at night or in the certain time when it develops the purple color. plus some varieties are prone to purple without any prior warning.

Well I got several with purple on the leaves...and I like it...lol

i was just worried i had the wrong seeds, now i'm convinced we both have the right seeds yours are just better lit. and therefor healthier. kinda prettier. and maybe happier. but y'know, i talk to my plants so we have that one on one connection.

I talk to mine all the time and tell them how pretty they are...but then I threaten some of 'em and tell them "I brought you in and I can take you out" if you don't grow...

Back