• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Superhot sauces

Look what I just got in the mail :woohoo:
superhot011.jpg

red bhuts, choc bhuts and trinidad scorpions (weird looking ones with no stingers)

I want to make some hot sauce from these, but I have never made any hot sauce before. I don't want use them all up in one sauce that is so hot it burns ur nuts off. Instead I'd like regular amounts of some different flavours that have enough heat to get you sweating but not put scar tissue in your mouth.

I've read through a few pages of threads here and gotten some good info on the methods of making sauce and pH and sterilising etc... but I need recipe ideas. Does anyone have a first timer basic recipe I can cut my teeth on, maybe using two or three pods before I start adding crazy fruits and different flavours?

I did find a link in here to a page full of hot sauce recipes but I can't tell one from the other. I just need a simple one to start me off. Thanks everyone.

I remove the seeds then simmer the peppers in a 50/50 Apple Cider Vinegar and water base, after a couple hours let em cool then puree them.
IMG_0711.jpg
, during this process I start chopping up produce to make a base stock, onion, garlic, chives, celery, ETC experiment cook it with olive oil and or Smart balance,
IMG_0712.jpg
I make the base stock taste good in fact you can cook just about any type of meat in it, just leave some pure stock for your hot sauce. After the base is done add your puree little by little till you like the heat, I split em up mild(the Base) med/hot
IMG_0719-1-1.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg
The puree is just plain wicked I cooked the scorpions down allot, the left jar is pure Peppers and cider/water base, middle is hot, right is spicy base stock, I strain some of the final product so a shaker bottle can be used.

Pretty neat trick there Prehensile, Looks like good stuff and I especially like the way you can add a lil or plenty heat from your jet fuel (puree) to the base to get the burn you desire. Man, gonna have to come back and visit this again when I am ready to make sauce. Thanks

The way you do it makes a lot of sense. I can totally see myself doing that. Thanks for posting with all the pics and stuff. :clap:

TY I would have some fun cookin those 3 types of peppers down and makin several distinct flavored sauces, you can play with your main base stocks contents over and over. I'm growing some "Spicey Basil" for a different twist soon. Imma thinking a lime/basil/brown sugar base stock.

TY I would have some fun cookin those 3 types of peppers down and makin several distinct flavored sauces, you can play with your main base stocks contents over and over. I'm growing some "Spicey Basil" for a different twist soon. Imma thinking a lime/basil/brown sugar base stock.

I have some lime basil growing in my garden, (and kitchen window), right now. Might see if I can do that myself.

I'm going to have to wait for two weeks before the house is empty of little ones. I cut up and deseeded the pods last night and the smell alone made me hiccup as though I had eaten a hot one!!

Back