• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

support peppers

How do you support your peppers?
a stake (or spiral) or a cage
What is the most handy?

Pictures are always welcome.
I'm figuring out what I should do.

Stakes and some nylon string can go along ways. I just bought some dowel rods @ Lowe's the other day for mine. I used some thinner ones last year and towards the end of the season they were snapping/breaking due to them being so thing and getting wet off and on.

IMG_20120608_00753.jpg

I see most people use stakes, as do I.

I don't think there is much need for a cage for a lot of pepper varieties. The branches never get so overloaded they need supporting. At least for me.

I use a bamboo stake on the plants that need help standing up straight.

I see most people use steaks, as do I.

I don't think there is much need for a cage for a lot of pepper varieties. The branches never get so overloaded they need supporting. At least for me.

Ditto.... they won't get so laden with fruit that their branches will need support like tomatoes. Stake will do just fine

I see most people use stakes, as do I.

Some of mine do. It is usually chinense types with multiple pods per node. They get super heavy and can droop 3-4 feet and need to be tied up.

The bigger the plant and pods, the bigger the stake. Rocotos/Manzanos will break branches and split down the center from the weighted pods. The Rocoto in the foreground has support stakes on each branch. The two further back have 3 stakes a piece with twine and white plastic hangers to support the main stem. I have had a number split from the weight. You can always add them as needed.
test12001.jpg

Good to know! I have a bunch of chinense seedlings now. I've only succesfully grew annuums in the past, besides one half ass'd hab plant a few years ago.

I have 3 spanish peppers in one coontainer.
Each of them makes at least 6 different stems.
Should I let them grow?
And if those stems grow pretty large...how can I support such a bush?

sam2599e.jpg

The bigger the plant and pods, the bigger the stake. Rocotos/Manzanos will break branches and split down the center from the weighted pods. The Rocoto in the foreground has support stakes on each branch. The two further back have 3 stakes a piece with twine and white plastic hangers to support the main stem. I have had a number split from the weight. You can always add them as needed.
test12001.jpg

you need to post MORE pictures.....beautiful growing area

Thanks Armac. New place I have more room.
This one was 8 and a half ft across, but did not need staking. Small peppers.

douglahpods0141.jpg

This was in Dec. This plant got a bit out of control. Staking, propping up etc. I think I left it at the old place. Super hot pods though.
2ndhalf1035_zps0019c7a0.jpg

Late season big Douglahs
2ndhalf1012_zps3884fa50.jpg

B. Hats going into late fall. These are all organically grown.
oct21008_zpsf01c5360.jpg

Nice plants!^ I've never gotten one to grow that big but this year i have a bunch of Chinese I'm growing so we will see what happens! Here's a Caribbean red i grew and i staked it with a dowell rod. I should have gotten a thicker one tho cause the weight of the plant bent it and had one break. Then i used fiberglass rods we use for electric fence for my others. That worked a lot better cause the wood bend when wet.

This is in fall right when i brought it on for the winter
CAM00001_zps6ebc7504.jpg

This its after she lost her leaves inside.
CAM00182_zps25ac8f84.jpg

And a couple pods that ripened indoors after she came inside

CAM00141_zps12157613.jpg

Here in Belgium, the growing season is not that long,
They can go outside from mid May to the beginning of October.

What kind of fertilizer do you give for these plants?

Various. Fox Farm, kelp, some fish goo, but I hate the smell, Cal/Mag, loads of good organic compost, some other odds and ends if a plant needs it.

Back