• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Sushi

Evening all,
We've just tried our second batch of home made sushi chez Shooty* (avocado and yellow pepper maki, getting good at the basics before moving onto fish).

Went a LITTLE overboard on the wasabi, apparently, which became apparent when Mrs Shooty* downed a glass of wine to cool down (but all credit to her, she tried some Sudden Death sauce yesterday with only minor discomfort. I was v proud).

Anyway, we wondered: any of you fine producers thought about a chili-soy sauce or similar? I know you can get them, but it's the soy equivalent of tabasco, innit?

Sushi rocks.

Shooty* said:
Evening all,
We've just tried our second batch of home made sushi chez Shooty* (avocado and yellow pepper maki, getting good at the basics before moving onto fish).

Went a LITTLE overboard on the wasabi, apparently, which became apparent when Mrs Shooty* downed a glass of wine to cool down (but all credit to her, she tried some Sudden Death sauce yesterday with only minor discomfort. I was v proud).

Anyway, we wondered: any of you fine producers thought about a chili-soy sauce or similar? I know you can get them, but it's the soy equivalent of tabasco, innit?

Sushi rocks.

Hey Shooty:

I mix equal parts of Blue's Carolina Pepper Sauce and pure molassass. The sauce takes the sweet out of the molassass and adds heat. It is what we use on our sushi instead of soy. It is really good with spider rolls and spicy tuna rolls.

Blue's

if it weren't for the sea food and sea weed...i'd probably like sushi. :P i've had sashimi before and it was alright...but i covered the piece in some brownish spicy sauce, so i think i liked the sauce more than the fish. :lol:

I a traditionalist when it comes to sushi...just give me soy sauce and wasabi and I'm happy.

Oh yeah, and some saki!

chuk hell said:
I a traditionalist when it comes to sushi...just give me soy sauce and wasabi and I'm happy.

Oh yeah, and some saki!
OH YA! Gotta have the saki. I went to an all you can eat sushi place here in LA (for all you can eat at $20, the sushi wasn't that bad) and ordered a large saki. That stuff is soooo good. Warms you from the inside out (unless you get cold saki that is).

Mexican Sushi:

SUSHI.jpg

This Mexican sushi is a chliaca stuffed with salchicha (sausage), cheese and herbs and put into masa to make a tamale.

Steamed for 1 hr and served with pickled jicama.

I am pleased with similarity of sliced tamale and sushi....also note geometric similarity....also note cultural difference, ie, Japanese use rice, Mexicans use corn.

Back