• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

sweet heat treat - red candy hot tamales

Great snack.  Grab a box of candy hot tamales from your grocery store, or a Valero or other similar store. The 3 Alarm version of the candy is better.   Have a jar of Slap Ya Mama red seasoning on hand and get a 2 oz. bottle of pure cinnamon extract.  I get my extract from a local Sur Le Table. Place a handful of the Hot Tamales on a paper towel.  Invert the jar of the extract over your finger tip, not spilling, and dab on the candies.  Do this a couple of times, dabbing on the candies at random. No need to worry about dabbing each piece.  Then sprinkle the Slap Ya Mama over, and  bundle up the paper towel and shake the candies to better coat them.  Then snack away.  They get spicier the longer they sit, however, don't make a batch to then eat on the next day, they stick togethe. 

Obviously alter the seasoning to your liking.  For a couple of years, I used powdered cayenne pepper over them, but now think the Slap Ya Mama seasonings (read salt) goes better!  This is my addiction dessert.  I'd add pictures but can't seem to figure it out (maybe you have to pay to be an Extreme Member).  Enjoy, and give it a try.   

Back