• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Swingtop Canning Processing

I've been working on a habanero/ghost pepper sauce receipe and have previously been canning using heat fill plus waterbath processing but with the l2-piece lidded ball mason jars in 1/4 & half pint.

But now, I'd like to start giving the sauce as gifts while I'm still working the recipe, and was interested in the swingtop bottles. I'm not sure that the rubber gasket is what I want to put in contact with the sauce and if the swingtops can be successfully waterbath-processed.  Maybe there is a swingtop with a poly gasket?

Or, is would I be better to go with a woozie and a metal lid. Can you heat process those and get the desired vaccum seal?

Any advice is welcome!

-Linda

Hi Linda,
 :welcome: to THP!

Using swing top bottles for your sauce is a great idea!

The lids used for regular mason jar canning also have rubber seals, I wouldn't worry about the sauce coming in contact with the rubber.  They are designed and used for tomato sauces and other acidic sauces (including pickled products) all the time. 

As to using metal lids and poly gaskets on woozies-
I don't known of any woozy bottles that come with metal lids, all I've ever seen have plastic lids with some kind of a poly liner.  The plastic lids are not designed to be pressure canned or hot water bathed.  The usual process is hot fill/invert/hold.  It's detailed here.

I think the swing top bottles can be successfully hot water bathed but I can't find a whole lot of info about that from a reliable online source like an extension service.  if you have an extension service in your area, Call them and ask!  My feeling is that they would work great, but it wouldn't hurt to find out. 

This is all assuming your sauce has a good (ie below 4.0) pH, and if you don't have pH meters etc, at least make sure it has some vinegar or other acid in it. 

If you find out about the bale jars, please post back.  I'd like to know.  THanks~

Have fun and post pics if you do some sauces in the bale bottles.  We Love Pics!  :) 

salsalady

Thanks so much. I'm still checking this out. If the rubber gasket is food-safe (a likely thing), and the stopper is plastic, I'm a bit concerned about heat-processing. However, I might buy the stoppers in ceramic from elsewhere.

Back