• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Szechuan pepper

I want to grow this as well now! *runs out to look for it* Wait, if you buy a bag it will be just the pods and not the seeds right? As you don't eat the seeds... I want seeds! hehe

Any of you have a good easy recipe with Szechuan?

I don't grow Hua Jiao, but I've been cooking with it for years. One bag of peppercorns will last a very long time so I'll probably never grow a plant. I'll post up a recipe for Sichuan cold beef and celery when I get it typed up.

ZanderSpice said:
I don't grow Hua Jiao, but I've been cooking with it for years. One bag of peppercorns will last a very long time so I'll probably never grow a plant. I'll post up a recipe for Sichuan cold beef and celery when I get it typed up.
I'm excited =)

I must admit I would grow it mostly for fun, I'm curious too, want to see how the plants look for lots of different stuff. Sowed black beans last year just to see the plant and pods, knew I would never get a lot of food out of it ;) I sowed some lemon seeds almost three years ago... still have a plant... have to post a pic of that in the "growing other" section... I'm rambling aint I? *stops*

One thing no one seems to have mentioned about the hua jiao peppercorns is that the plant they grow on is actually a TREE. A small tree, but a tree nonetheless (with bark, wood, branches, etc. etc.). So I'm not saying you can't grow one, but it might be a little more work than you expected. I remember several years ago the peppercorns were banned in the US (they are always being banned on and off by the USDA for like 6 month periods, because the pepper corns are sometimes found to have citrus canker, which would hurt US farmers apparently) and my wife and I actually came across one of the trees in a local park in the MD suburbs of DC. It had a plaque on it, that's how I knew what it was. We almost decided to pick some of the peppercorns and use them, but I wasn't 100% sure if the tree we were looking at was exactly the right species or not. Anyway, it was a short 7 ft tree alright.

Back