• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

T12 vs T8... Advice...

So I have 3 shelves. Top 2 have 4' t12 shop lights with mixed bulbs 6500 and 5000. So 1 fixture per shelf with 2 bulbs per fixture. The bottom shelf has a double bulb t8 with same lighting. Now my question is this. Should I double the t 12s on one shelf and buy another t8 for the now empty shelf? I am just using this setup to "start" my plants until I get them under my 600w hps. Just looking for done advice.. Thanks

If I'm not mistaken T12's will be relics of the past soon, if not already...

I thought they stopped making them a year or so ago. There is just such a huge stockpile somewhere keeping them going.

How bout some pictures to see how they are doing? I started under T12s for a few years and had great results so don't fix what a'int broke. T8 will produce better results than T12 and T5 better than both. But again, if just going till plantout then T12s are fine.

For sure, but what in getting at, is if I upgrade one shelf to another t8, snd put 2t12s side by side(since I have them).

Q. Are 2 t12s (4 bulbs ) = 1 t8 (2 bulbs)
And let's say both with a mix of 5000 and 6500

I bought some T8's at Home Depot this year for my seed starting and seedlings. Noticeably brighter than the T12's I also have. I chose T8's as the bulbs around here are cheaper than the T5's are. $3.30 ea. in a 10 pack vs. $10 ea. My seedlings are doing real good under the 6500k Sylvania bulbs.

Relamp and retrofit your fixture with T5's . The T12s usually supply a 34w or 40w lamp. The T8s supply a 32w. The T5s use a 54w. Plus, the T12s can run off an old school magnetic ballast (ie. energy consuming whore), but about 3 years ago mfgs finally started making electronic ballasts. It'd be better for you to get the T5s (even though they're quite a bit more expensive) because they last an average of 20,000 hrs as opposed to its T12 and T8 cousins which only last an average of 10,000 hrs.

As for plant lights, over the years, I haven't sold too many of them. Most people grow well with regular fluorescents with 5000 or 6500 kelvin and do just fine. Now, with aquarium lights...the price on them is just outrageous. About ten years ago, as a specialized lighting distributor I paid $20 as my cost for just the 2 ft ones, but the aquarium stores were selling them for $40+. Personally, I don't know how well the aquarium lights work for growing plants but I'd give it a go if I could get the lamps for free. Although, keep in mind the kelvins are usually rated around 10,000, which is considered extremely blue in the colour spectrum.

Back