• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

T5 question

Patrick what type of T5's do you have? I think it varies by type. No? HO vs regular T5? I'm also new and so far it's going good mine aren't leggy either. I really can't tell you yet because I'm still adjusting.

,Vegas

Patrick what type of T5's do you have? I think it varies by type. No? HO vs regular T5? I'm also new and so far it's going good mine aren't leggy either. I really can't tell you yet because I'm still adjusting.

,Vegas

Millman brought up a very good point--temps. The room my plants are in is 72 ish during the day and 62 ish during the night. I know that is having an effect on growth rate. My local hydro shop has a Bhut Jolokia plant growing that was given to them. They had it sitting in front of a window this winter. It wasn't doing real well, yellowing, small leaves. Found out the temperature right next to the window was in the 50's. They moved it to a warmer spot in the building and put some lighting on it and it responded very well. I have three over wintered plants that were doing OK in my tarantula nursery with a 150w HPS light with temps in the low 80's. I had to move them and they're now in a window with temps in the low 60's and they have pretty much went dormant.

Vegas my lights are 4' 54 watt HO T5's. There are four of them in a reflector. If your plants aren't leggy and they're growing I'd say you're doing just fine.

hey patrick, my Chocolate Habaneros look just like what you've got going there. Small compact little plants. Except mine are in peat pots.

A gazillion variables like others have mentioned. There is no way in heck -with my t5 light- that I could have leaves touching the bulbs.If the back of my hand or arm rub up against one I am swearing!!! A lot of folks are buying cheaper "shop light" models without proper reflectors and no HO bulbs. That may be the way to go for the versatility,and $. They definitely supress the vertical growth. At 12" exact,this is what happens to 65-70% of my seedlings. It doesn't affect their growth so I leave them go.

DSCN1240.jpg

There's two things to directly consider when setting light distance, the intensity and the coverage. Light intensity decrease's quickly, square the distance and divide by the number (ie. @ 2' it's 1/4 as strong as @ 1', @ 3' it's only 1/9th), so the closer without burning the better. The closer lights get the less area they'll cover and as plants can only use so much light depending on how much; water, co2, ferts, etc are available, there is a point of diminishing returns.

So the just of it is, every garden is different and to get the most out of your space you need to pay attention and adjust to the conditions (which change over the year unless you have a really fancy, totally climate controlled space). For fluorescents I'd generally say 4-6" is a good starting point, from there try it higher to see if they stretch, lower to see if the leaves crinkle from heat, etc.

Some will get great results really close, usually they'll have lower temps and higher humidity which reduces water stress so even seedlings can use the higher light levels. Right now at my place I'd give them a lot more space as it's hot and dry from the furnace running, so they'll already be stressed without any heat from the lights. Which is why you'll see such contradictory answers, neither is right or wrong, only right for their conditions. My best suggestion to new indoor growers is to learn as much as possible about how the environment effects the plants. Control the climate and you control how the plants grow as they're solely reacting to the conditions around them.

Well said Monkey Hunter. People need to learn to do things for themselves. Too many nowadays want to be spoon fed all of the right information to grow perfect plants.

I'm new to this whole jazz, and let me tell you it's not hard. You just have to be motivated to learn and use common sense. I never grown anything in my life til like 4 months ago when I decided to do a LED panel and attempt to grow peppers. It was just an experiment and I was just amazed and just kept getting addicted. I bred quails before from egg and I had nearly 150 quail and 5 different types. Guess who taught me how to grow peppers or breed quail? I just have a friend, and his name is Google. Here's a peek at my seedlings.

IMG_20130302_104537.jpg

IMG_20130302_104514.jpg

The light is a T5 HO from hydrofarm 4 feet, 4 bulb and you can see the distance from the light to the seedlings, room temp is 75°-80°. Take a look at my plants under LEDs too. I'm not bragging I just want to say if I can do this anyone can. I'm just a new Guy who started growing about 4 months ago.....

IMG_20130302_105533.jpg

,Vegas

I'm new to this whole jazz, and let me tell you it's not hard.

I always say gardening isn't hard, it's just complicated to master. It's important for beginner's growing any new plant to realise that, like babies, they won't break all that easily. They'll adapt their best and do everything they can to live, just like any organism, so don't over-think and micro manage minor things until all the major requirements have been met. The more experienced and knowledgeable you become, the more you'll fine tune the garden and increase production.

@ Patrick: You have no idea how true that is, there was always endless customers willing to spend lots of money on toys for growing but would never spend 20-50$ buying a book to learn what they're doing. With all the contradictory info on the web, based on different experiences due to different conditions, most end up more confused then anything and trying to return it all 6-8 months later... It's almost funny other then having to answer the same questions endlessly.

Those look real good Vegas congrats.

You nailed it too MonkeyH. I'm also into keeping and breeding tarantulas. Been on one particular website for eight years and I can't tell you how many times I've answered the exact same questions. Hope you don't lose your marbles.

I'm gonna have to say Monkey Hunter has the best answer here. Sorry if I came of like a douche, and I'm figuring out everyone does things different and usually get the same results. Nice plants everyone in this thread, keep doing what your doing!

Jamison that's extremely cool of you to say that. Don't give it a second thought man.

Vegas you're most welcome, you earned that compliment.

I know one guy who's kind of into orchids, just starting out. He was telling me about a local show, it seems people are very proud of their flowers. Haven't seen very much serious competition between pepper growers other than normal, who's is biggest/hottest ones. Doesn't really matter what others grow to me because mine are the best. ;) Always the biggest, hottest, fastest growing, best looking, best smelling peppers in the land. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :P

I strongly feel that if you want to better yourself in a certain field (no pun intended) you surround yourself with people who excel in that particular area. If you grow peppers THP is the best place to be ;)

Back