• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tabasco

[Discussion from a thread in what I didn't at first notice is in the Ads section.]

. . . Tabascos have an amazing flavor!  A flavor that doesn't come through at all in the watered down vinegar Chile juice they sell.

That's very nice to hear.  I have a couple of foot-tall plants, so pleasant flavour surprises are welcome.
_____

This is an interesting, alternative-to-McInhenny historical narrative.  (If nothing else, one gets a glimpse of part of what it might've been like to be a chilehead in 1850.) 

"Petite Anse Sauce" sounds pretty cool, too.

Owing to its oleaginous character, Col. White found it impossible to preserve [Tabasco chiles] by drying; but by pouring strong vinegar on it after boiling, he has made a sauce or pepper decoction of it, which possesses in a most concentrated form all the quantities of the vegetable.  A single drop of the sauce will flavor a whole plate of soup or other food.  — http://www.montezumabrand.com/1st%20Louisiana%20Pepper%20Sauce%20Article.htm

From the 2nd ed. of the Times Picayune Creole Cookbook

Interestingly enough two recipes down is this (but no actual recipe, I guess you had to buy it).

Kind of begs the question, did the sauce used to be hotter?

Ancient wisdom on the oysters, (and a cravin' has been flung).

My mother makes tea "cakes"—cookies, actually—and she likes 'em crunchy.  One family wag has labelled them "hard tack".  Pretty funny.

Back