• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Tablespoon of Ghost Pepper Powder Challenge

Epic stupidity. Unbelieveable stupidity. Incredulous stupidity.

Edit: Have to, I just don't get this. What did you think was going to happen? You ever read other folks reactions when they eat a single pod? There was a post around here recently that linked to a study that said three pounds of peppers converted to powder would kill a person. How many tablespoons do you think three pounds of peppers make, two maybe three? Good thing you spit it out, This is more than stupid, it's dangerous.

Just to clarify for you, the article said "three pounds of dried powder", not three pounds of peppers dried and ground. It would take approximately 25 to 30 pounds of fresh peppers to make three pounds of dried.

I don't get the whole "sport chili" thing, but I don't think anyone alive could ingest enough fresh OR dried peppers to be lethal.

Extracts? Different matter... :)

Go back and read the article again. it does say three pounds of chili in dried form. Not three pounds of powder.

Here I went back and got it for you. " "A research study in 1980 calculated that three pounds of extreme chilies in powder form — of something like the Bhut Jolokia — eaten all at once could kill a 150-pound person."

Got it?

"A research study in 1980 calculated that three pounds of extreme chilies in powder form

It's a bit ambivalent.

Three pounds of chilis in powder form, or three pounds of powdered chilis. Says the same thing, means two different things. But I do agree with your concerns. Even a tablespoon of something like powdered sugar could cause extreme discomfort.

Sorry for stepping on your toes. You can be right.

Got it?

I'll butt out.

Still don't get the whole "sport chili" deal.

No worries Naga Chomper, hope you didn't take my comment as rudeness. I agree it would work better if they had slipped a coma right in behind the word "chilies".

I just wanted to let it be known that eating a tablespoon of powder from any superhot pepper isn't the smartest thing to do.

So please feel free to "butt" right back in. :halo:

So this is the most recent video I did. I thought some of you may find it entertaining. The tablespoon of cinnamon challenge? Pffftttt step aside for the Tablespoon of Ghost Pepper Powder Challenge :hell: .

best idea is to make a paste with tiny bit of water first then u wont breath it in

Hey guys after reading some enlightening posts. I have decided to delet this
I shall return with a few true reviews. Pictures and stuff of some delicious Heartbreaking Dawns stuff I have gotten.
Steele

Can someone clarify - Do the peppers themselves kill, or does the victim die from the side effects?

I know the side effects are similar to anaphylactic shock - constricted throat, difficulty breathing & increased heart rate - all circulatory systems speed up & respiratory systems shut down making for a potentially lethal combo.

I'm just curious if there's info about what actually does the killing - the capsaicin or the subsequent impact on the human body. Anyone know?

Can someone clarify - Do the peppers themselves kill, or does the victim die from the side effects?

I know the side effects are similar to anaphylactic shock - constricted throat, difficulty breathing & increased heart rate - all circulatory systems speed up & respiratory systems shut down making for a potentially lethal combo.

I'm just curious if there's info about what actually does the killing - the capsaicin or the subsequent impact on the human body. Anyone know?

I've looked quite extensively for any case of anyone dying from capsaicin ingestion to no avail. There's been one death attributed to it, but the actual cause was a heart attack, not actually anything caused by capsaicin itself. Since needing to eat three pounds of Buhts to hit the lethality level of capsaicin, would be a feat nigh onto impossible.

Of course that might translate into 2 pounds of Douglahs. But who the hell wants to do that? LOL

Yeah, I kind of suspected that. My Ag-Hort teacher once told me that lettuce is also mildly toxic but you cannot eat enough lettuce to actually die from it.

And as you say - who'd want to try? :rofl:

Morel Mushrooms are poisonous as well, but you cook the poison out. Heck water can kill you if you intake too much at one time without letting your bladder out.

Yeah, I kind of suspected that. My Ag-Hort teacher once told me that lettuce is also mildly toxic but you cannot eat enough lettuce to actually die from it.

And as you say - who'd want to try? :rofl:

Didn't know that about lettuce! I don't like it anyway. Now I can tell my wife why... As for poison being good fopr you, add apples, cherries, rhubarb, and of course nightshades like tomatoes, potatos, and our beloved peppers:D

Yep - eggplant too.

If you've ever seen a hemlock plant it looks exactly like the carrot - white root, black flower (umbel I believe?) and the carrot is white flower orange root.

I think about early man's trial & error in discovering what food was and marvel at how many humans must have died eating the wrong berry, mushroom or root. Amazing.

Back