• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Talk to me about your potting mix

I've been transplanting into a 5-1-1 mix of "pine fines" (partially composted pine bark), coir or peat, and pearlite, respectively. I mix in a handful of dolomitic lime powder and a handful of Fox Farms fertilizer meant for vegetative growth. I water that mix thoroughly for several days before planting. The PH of this mixture seems to fall between 6-7 at the time of planting.

Several of my pepper plants, which were tremendously healthy before, have wilted and died within days of planting them. I'm planting in several different things; 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom, smart pots, and typical 5 gallon nursery pots. The type of container doesn't seem to have any effect.

I did harden them off before transplant. People on the gardenweb forums SWEAR by this mix and say it's the best for containers. No one else seems to have problems. I'm interested in what you all use for your potting mix. I've done a bit of searching but I'm getting so many results, and very few of which are what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

Mark

I use peat and manure and thats all. Well, a little bit of perlite and they are good to go. One big bag of peat moss, a couple bags of composted cow manure and a couple bags of composted chicken manure and my plants love it. Have a look at the "Pinned" thread at the top of this section.

2 parts sphagnum peat moss

1 1/2 part compost

1 part perlite

1/4 part chicken manure

1/4 part worm casting

granular mycorrhizae(per directions but more is better)

bone meal(per directions for quantity of soil)

This is what I did this year from recommendations from members here and LGHT's pinned post on soil

So far so good, everybody seems to be happy, but I'm a new grower too.

I don't really have anything to add to this thread, but I think it's a good one. I've always used a potting mix with a few "extras." This year I will be making my own potting mix from scratch, and although the pinned thread is interesting, there is too many options to pick one. I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A POLL FOR THE BEST POTTING MIX FOR PEPPERS! I don't even know how to do a poll, otherwise I would.

Thanks for the input so far. Not sure how I missed the pinned post, but as was mentioned, that thread is a bit overwhelming!
For example. I always see "COMPOST" listed as an ingredient. What type of compost? I see so many different kinds at the Nursery (cotton burr, mushroom, etc.)

Did you wash your Coco Coir? I was advised to wash it out 3 times before use, as it is usually very salt laden. I did as told, and didn't have any problems. course if there was no additional salt, I wouldn't have had any problems anyway...

Did you wash your Coco Coir? I was advised to wash it out 3 times before use, as it is usually very salt laden. I did as told, and didn't have any problems. course if there was no additional salt, I wouldn't have had any problems anyway...

I sure didn't! Hmm, good to know. Mine was hydrofarm and came in a compressed cube. So, I had to soak it in water to expand it, but other than that I didn't rinse it. Good to know for next time.

I've always used MG I had good results. This year I found a store that sells Promix BX in my area & I'm giving it a try. I've had them in in for just under 2 weeks & they are growing like crazy. I wish I would have bought a bag of MG & put a few in it to compare the 2, but didn't think about it until I had them all potted up.

I think you need to take a step back and try and find the best mix for your specific growing conditions and area. The sticky is a bit overwhelming as far as the options available, but you have to keep in mind that every ingredient listed is meant to address a specific need for your plants.

For example if your in a hot area like TX or AZ where the temps are 120 plus and your plants get full sun all day your going to want a mix that retains a LOT of water to avoid having the plants dry out and die. You may also want to add some mulch on the top of your soil.

Now if your in a cold area and the plants only get full sun half the day you want a mix that is just the opposite. You want something that will drain good and not retain a lot of water because peppers don't like wet "feet" meaning you don't want your plants sitting in bucket of wet soil for days at a time.

As far as what compost you use if any at all is always going to be a matter of opinion, but basically your giving your plants a boost of natural nitrogen and other beneficial bacteria in the soil to help the plant grow. You can bypass the compost and just fertilize the soil as the plant grows if you want as well. Again no right or wrong just a matter of preference.

I have read some guys doing great with MG and I have read horror stories about how MG ruined an entire years crop.

I personally prefer a complete controlled environment so I know what goes into the plants soil and can control how much ferts to give the plant and when. That's the main reason why a lot of people like Pro Mix because it's a good balanced soiless mix that allows them to setup a fertilizing schedule as they want.

I use Coco Cori with a little neem cake fertilizer added in all my 5 gal buckets and two raised beds 4' X 10' and 3 X 10' works great for me. After placing plants in the beds or buckets I water good after 1 week I add calcium,sea weed,fish fertilizer ,lacto and Mycorrhizal all home made have never lost a plant, and all growing well. good luck in finding what work for you. Alex

Back