• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Tap water conditioner?

Neither lime nor lemon juice will control Ph for longer than about 20 minutes. Phosphoric acid works well and will last.

compmodder26 said:
Not sure why you would want to buy citric or lactic acid when humic acid will do the trick plus provide something beneficial to your plants?  Humic is pretty cheap to buy as well, and you don't need to use much to neutralize the chloramine.  This site says you only need 1 tsp of humic acid to treat 100 gallons of water:

http://www.natureswayresources.com/resource/infosheets/chloramine.html

Edit: Unless you are referring to trying to drop the PH of the water, then yeah I can see going with citric acid.

Edit2:  Well I just learned something new about citric acid today.  It apparently can chelate minerals bound in the soil to make them available to the plant, so it too can prove to be very beneficial to the plants.
http://www.growthproducts.com/pdfs/NAIH_Why_Citric_Acid.pdf

Isn't that number the amount of time it takes to remove half of the chloramine by boiling, or did I read the wiki article wrong?
Rebelgrower is right, i read the article wrong. That's way too long to be boiling something simply to remove chloramines. Thankfully enough there's enough alternate ways of doing it.

That's a good article on citric acid btw, thank you for linking it. i started using it this year, i guess i'll just run with it.

I'm just starting to try to get more organic with my plants, so removing chlorine and chloramines sounds like a very good idea for my plants. Which form of citric acid is the best for removing them? Could I just use the lemon/lime juice concentrate? Also, would anyone know what ratio to mix it with tap water? The largest bucket I have available is 5 gallons.

MeatHead1313 said:
I'm just starting to try to get more organic with my plants, so removing chlorine and chloramines sounds like a very good idea for my plants. Which form of citric acid is the best for removing them? Could I just use the lemon/lime juice concentrate? Also, would anyone know what ratio to mix it with tap water? The largest bucket I have available is 5 gallons.
Can't remember where i read it, but the liquid form takes only a teaspoon to work on XX amount of gallons (i remember it took very little).

But if you don't want to proceed using guesswork then check out the next quote:

Ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate completely neutralizes both chlorine and chloramines but degrades in a day or two, which make it usable only for short-term applications; SFPUC determined that 1000 mg of Vitamin C (tablets purchased in a grocery store, crushed and mixed in with the bath water) remove chloramine completely in a medium-size bathtub without significantly depressing pH.

^^^ 1000mg of Vitamin C tablets is enough for a bathtub full of water. A 1/4 dose would be more than enough for a 5 gallon bucket.

Off topic but people with skin problems, like eczema, should take note since chlorine/chloramines are your skin's worst enemy. They even sell special Vitamin C shower filters for this.

Jetchuka said:
Can't remember where i read it, but the liquid form takes only a teaspoon to work on XX amount of gallons (i remember it took very little).

But if you don't want to proceed using guesswork then check out the next quote:

^^^ 1000mg of Vitamin C tablets is enough for a bathtub full of water. A 1/4 dose would be more than enough for a 5 gallon bucket.

Off topic but people with skin problems, like eczema, should take note since chlorine/chloramines are your skin's worst enemy. They even sell special Vitamin C shower filters for this.
Awesome. Thank you very much! Will have to get some vitamin C tablets at work tomorrow. 

Back