• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

TB '09.

chillilover said:
I was wondering because I bought a plant last year from a nursary that was suppose to be a super chilli but looked like your pics after. Mine were thinner walled and lighter green than Jalapenos. Also some were in wierd shapes.

that definitely is not a super chili...here's three super chilis...from July 2008

072808SuperChili.jpg

AlabamaJack said:
that definitely is not a super chili...here's three super chilis...from July 2008

072808SuperChili.jpg

No, I knew that it wasn't a super chilli, I just didn't know what it was since it didn't really look like a Jalapeno either but when TB said his were in the pic I was thinking it could have possibly been?

Here's an update ya'll for today...

Some orange habs..

0186-1.jpg

Just look at this golf ball sized hab monster!!

0185-1.jpg

I have several of these killers amongst the habs. I've seen them fight each other over territory. They kill everything. Don't know what they are...some sort of mantid maybe...I call them The Green Manalishi...

0191-1.jpg

More to come...

Pretty habs all in a row..

0189-1.jpg

Another angle..I just added the cages and the plants are diggin' the whole Iron Maiden Chile Bondage...thingy...

0190-1.jpg

Pequins..and some more habs on the left. One in the very back to the left is the mutant 'peno that snuck in..

0187-1.jpg

Cheers ya'll, TB.

caroltlw said:
Looks very similar to my assassin bug when it was a wee thing. Different color though.

Definitely looks like the assassin or a variety thereof. The largest one I have is green/yellow and a about a 1/4 inch long.
The smallest about half that. Rather odd but they don't lurk on the pequins...only the habs. I fancy myself lucky to have them as I have no bad bug issues.

Cheers, TB.

AlabamaJack said:

072808SuperChili.jpg

Those are some fantastic looking Super's AJ. Mine aren't nearly as big, but they sure are putting out the peppers compared to all my others.

One in a pot

SuperChili001.jpg

One in the ground

SuperChili002.jpg

Same one in the ground with the leaves moved aside to see more of the chili's

SuperChili003.jpg

chillilover said:
I was wondering because I bought a plant last year from a nursary that was suppose to be a super chilli but looked like your pics after. Mine were thinner walled and lighter green than Jalapenos. Also some were in wierd shapes. Heres a pic.
018.jpg

thats like the super chili i bought last year they looked pretty much like that :P

AlabamaJack said:

072808SuperChili.jpg

I believe the super chili hybrids I grew were a lot longer than AJ's version and different transitional colors. Probably more like Blister's pics

The pack says that the peppers grow to 2 1/2" x 1/2" and ripen from light green, to orange, then finally to red. I can't wait to try them

Got some better pics of the bug after I got home from meeting Philliperv. I actually got a pic of the adult killer...

1st is the nymph....

0191-1.jpg

And an adult...definitely the Assassin bug and a cold blooded killer!! Behold...killer and dinner..

0201-1.jpg

0202.jpg

I also caught a glimpse of a subadult about twice the size of the nymph and all red. Each of my 14 hab plants have at least one killer on them and some plants 2. Lucky me...

Cheers, TB.

Yeah, I started seeing them about 2 weeks ago and then over the last couple of days they have really come out. They are masters of concealment much like six legged ninja's. Funny, ladybugs abound on a patch of grass in the backyard. I tried putting a few on the chile plants but they quickly flew away. I'm liking the current class of snatch and grab kung fu killers. TB WIN!

Cheers, TB.

Very nice plants, seems youre having a good grow season. What happened to that mutant offspring. Its interesting with chilis coming out weird looking, who knows their might be a possibility of starting a new cultivar!? :P

lavish said:
Very nice plants, seems youre having a good grow season. What happened to that mutant offspring. Its interesting with chilis coming out weird looking, who knows their might be a possibility of starting a new cultivar!? :P

The mutant 'peno's started to rot before getting any good color so I cut them and the plant back. It continues with its mutant ways and refuses to bush out...mutant indeed..I also have a mutant habanero which I trimmed back and it is doing well with about 20 chiles and another 30 on the way. It is indeed a mutant also with the largest hab on it as big as a golf ball!!

Silver_Surfer said:
Great pics, if those assassins run out of prey you can give em my addy. :)

They are rather elusive. The nymphs and the subadults I rarely see eating other bugs but the adults...every time I see one they are feasting on a fresh kill! Stealthy and deadly!

Cheers, TB.

Back