• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking TB's Notorious Smoked Salmon

Here 'tis kids. Final batch out of the smokers...

You can smell the sweet smoky goodness.

IMG_1660.jpg

Here's the vacuum factory pic in The Blues Kitchen pumpin' out product.

IMG_1661.jpg

Not a bad haul...

IMG_1662.jpg

You can see the fish oil in the bag here with the smoked fish. Omega-3 fish oil and tasty tasty.
You don't want to miss a drop!

IMG_1663.jpg

Been a fun long week doin' this batch and hope I 'splained everythang' well enough for ya'll to give it a shot for yourselves.

Cheers!

Im doing this as soon as i get my hands on a smoker! Cheers TB and as you say...

Step back and kiss yo self two times!!

I am here Nova merely to serve. Give this stuff to your friends and you will have the respect of men.....and the love of women!

Holy Mother of God! Just look at all that golden goodness!

Now I just need to change my shirt for all the drool has it soaked. :lol:

very impressive TB. I'm very jealous of your setup.....I look forward to tasting nova's attempt at this but I know it won't be as good as yours....:P

How the hell can you know that when you haven't tried TB's you skirt wearing poor excuse for a man!!

I kinda agree with though.......

Looks great and i have the same brand smoker - I have not had smoked salmon for years. Nice vacuum sealer i picked one up on a big sale and the damn thing didn't work well at all would have had better luck sucking out all the air with out a straw.

$35 with bags i guess you get what you pay for - The one you use seems to do a good job anyway i could get price and model number off ya if it doesn't have any problems been looking for one for some time.

Nice post love all the pictures! :)

TB - the salmon looks very very damn tasty!!!!!!!!
BTW costco is not always the cheapest for some things, you might of been able save some money buying the salmon elsewhere.
& having the skin on 1 side is not a big deal = another cost saving deal, major fish smoker around here leaves some skin on, no big deal throw the skin in the dog bowl.

Pepperfreak said:
TB, that is some fantastic smoked salmon. I have never tried it before, but yours looks absolutely outstanding. How much would it cost to send a sample my way?

you've never tried smoked salmon ? :shocked:
IMO smoked salmon is far better than salmon cooked in any other form!!

Hophead said:
Looks great and i have the same brand smoker - I have not had smoked salmon for years. Nice vacuum sealer i picked one up on a big sale and the damn thing didn't work well at all would have had better luck sucking out all the air with out a straw.

$35 with bags i guess you get what you pay for - The one you use seems to do a good job anyway i could get price and model number off ya if it doesn't have any problems been looking for one for some time.

Nice post love all the pictures! :)

foodsaver brand is a nice vacuum sealer! you can buy them at walmart. I have an older model (something like 5-10 years old) & it still works nicely.

Hey y'all.

Last week I had to make a trip down to Fort Worth to visit some dude with the initials A and J.

I knew a few days before hand that I was going but I just couldn't go empty handed. What to do?

Then it hit me that the local TryNSave had some very nice fish on sale. $8.99 a pound I believe.

IMG_3753.jpg

All prepped up.

IMG_3754.jpg

Now normally I do a marinade much the same as I have posted earlier in this thread. This time I went a different route. I had a big ole' jug of Yoshida's Teriyaki Sauce that I got a while back at Costco that I haven't used near as much as anticipated. So I poured a heap of it into a stainless steel bowl, along with several spoonful's of Huy Fong Garlic Chile Sauce and a small can of pineapple/orange juice.

Whirred and stirred and on to the fish for about 18 hours.

IMG_3755.jpg

Next I yanked it from the 'nade and got it on some racks with a fan going to get a nice pellicle.

IMG_3756.jpg

The Luhr-Jensen Mini-Chief remains my number one go to smoker for fish.

IMG_3758.jpg

And here is why...

IMG_3759.jpg

A big ole pile of goodness.

IMG_3761.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

And my favorite way to eat it.

On a flour tortilla with a schmeer of cream cheese and green onions.

IMG_3764.jpg

The stuff totally rocked.

Much obliged scovie_deville for your fish post reminding me to post this.

Well here it is! shoot man, I didn't even think to search for Smoked Salmon, as I type I'm saying DUH to myself.
I just posted in the DC about the Chief Smokers, HA! I haven't seen one in years.

That is a site to behold! I swear I would eat that whole plate in one bite. You dare me? HA!
I never would have even thought to marinate in Yoshida's. My ToDo list is growing.
$8.99 lb? Dude that's awesome! You're getting some beautiful fish from that TryNSave place, impressive.
Are you a fan of Salmon tartar? Me too. That fish in the first couple pics looks worthy.

Yes. Yes. and Yes. This thread gets Scovie's 10 Gold stars approval. oolala!

Mucho obliged Scov.

I felt it only fitting to dig up this old thread and post my latest here.

And it came about after I saw your post of your smoked salmon.

Once the weather cools off some, I'll be smoking fish more often.

I have several people I owe some friendly "debts" to and don't feel comfortable shipping the stuff in the heat of summer.

Once I had some mustard in a plastic jar shipped to me in the summer time. When I opened the box upon arrival, the stuff had 'sploded in the box and was still pretty warm to the touch.

Got the same mini, and finished up smoking Kings just 2 days ago that I caught last week out of Brookings, OR.
Gave them a virgin brine---just salt brown and white sugar and some garlic.

Bigs got 6 hrs for smoked salmon, smalls got 8 hrs for salmon jerky.

Lunch the last 2 days was made from a smoked salmon salad sandwich mix.

Almost as virgin.
Salmon
onion
olives
mayo
1/2 tsp of paste I conjured from the Box O' Mixed from Bakers I got on Thursday .

Just enough flavor to accent, but not overpower the smoked salmon, and just enough heat to add body to it.

Got the same mini, and finished up smoking Kings just 2 days ago that I caught last week out of Brookings, OR.
Gave them a virgin brine---just salt brown and white sugar and some garlic.

Bigs got 6 hrs for smoked salmon, smalls got 8 hrs for salmon jerky.

Lunch the last 2 days was made from a smoked salmon salad sandwich mix.

Almost as virgin.
Salmon
onion
olives
mayo
1/2 tsp of paste I conjured from the Box O' Mixed from Bakers I got on Thursday .

Just enough flavor to accent, but not overpower the smoked salmon, and just enough heat to add body to it.

Dude I respectfully request you post some pics of that feesh.

Quit teasin' and start pleasin'.

We love pics!

After all those mouth watering pix you wants more?
Gluttony, pure gluttony. ;)
But if you insist, I'll take pix when I mix the next batch, but it's really just about as plain and unadulterated as smoked salmon can get, put on a sammich.

TB - I'm going to take one of those salmony tortie non-wrappy thingies for lunch tomorrow!!!!

Which ought to make my Monday most glorious!!!!! Thanks for the pic/idea!!!! :clap:

Back