• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Tell me about Boise, Idaho?

My wife is in the final round of interviews (down to two people) for a big position in Boise, ID.  We have lived near Portland, OR (about 7 hours drive) for the past 10 years and am tired of the gloom and rain. We will probably know about the job mid-December, so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible.  I will have to relocate my practice, and two girls in elementary school.  I plan to visit Boise with my wife during the final interview in about 2 weeks.  It will just be a day trip though.

Boise looks like a nice place - colder in the winter/hotter in the summer, but much drier!  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated (including pepper growing).  Thanks!

ralph.png

"I'm Idaho!"

I like Boise a great deal. The winter`s can be a bit snowy and cold, especially in the hills surrounding the city, but it really is a lovely place. Dry and hot in the summer, but not so bad. I think of it as a mini-Denver. It isn`t a mile high, but I think it`s 2500 feet or so above sea level. Lots of good golf courses, too  :P

Tons of outdoors activities in summer and winter. Rafting on the Salmon river in northern Idaho, hiking all over the place, hunting if you`re into that sort of thing, skiing in winter, either cross country or downhill. 

Downtown Boise is small and very nice. Good restaurants, bars, music. 

I have good friend who was born and bred in Idaho and just moved from Boise to Halley. My friend`s parents like just outside Boise in the Hills, which is beautiful.

The police say can't drink in the bar, what a shame.
Why don't you come upstairs girl, and have a drink of champaign.

But seriously, Treasure Valley is a bananna belt---good for growing.
And if you like the outdoors---lots of it around.

Not fond of the state income tax, though---and having to buy your spirits from a state store.

Edit to note----you will get used to the smell of onions and potatoes in the fall when the wind blows east.
Some large processors to the west.

Been there a few times. One of my best friends lives there. Fun town. Good little underground art & music scene. Some nice camping/fishing out there too. I liked it there. :cheers:

Gotrox said:

Edit to note----you will get used to the smell of onions and potatoes in the fall when the wind blows east.
Some large processors to the west.

Beats the smell of Reed College girls and most the East Side . . . 

Seriously, we have state run liquor stores too.  While Oregon has no sales tax, they make up for it in income tax (up to 10%) and property tax.  So, the tax issue is probably a wash.

I'm glad to hear it's a good growing area!

I lived in Northern Idaho and went threw So Idaho in the winter and it was the Wind that Drove me nuts Down there, there's cold but with the Wind it was Cold x2, Idaho IMO is the Best State of them all if you don't live in the south Idaho LOL  So much to do in South or North, and build a Hoop/Greenhouse would be my first thing to do...     

This probably warrants more research on your side, but Idaho is very low (like- #48 out of 50 states) for education and schools.  If you have kids in school, research that and be prepared for that. 

salsalady said:
This probably warrants more research on your side, but Idaho is very low (like- #48 out of 50 states) for education and schools.  If you have kids in school, research that and be prepared for that.
That's a big consideration, and I have been looking a bit. From what I can tell, the better neighborhoods in the Boise area seem to have well ranked public schools.

Boise is a nice place to live there is hardly any crime there are lots of out door stuff to do. 1/2 hour from a nice ski resort. there is a pretty long grown season. I love living in boise i

Thanks. It's confirmed my family will be moving there - probably the end of February or March. That will make my growing season difficult. I may have to cut back this year because it'll be difficult to move new seedling, plants and overwinters - and probably too late to start fresh. It's just a 7 hour drive but that's a lot of extra stuff.

Mr. Hill said:
 Idaho IMO is the Best State of them all

gotta love when people say their state is the BEST or is GOD'S country..... :rofl:
whoever says this PLEASE pull your head out of your ass cuz first off your state ain't nothing special! no matter what state!  each state is unique & special  in their own way compared to other states. 

chilehunter said:

gotta love when people say their state is the BEST or is GOD'S country..... :rofl:
whoever says this PLEASE pull your head out of your ass cuz first off your state ain't nothing special! no matter what state!  each state is unique & special  in their own way compared to other states. 
 IMO your  FN Head up your ass so far you wouldn't know a good state if you lived in one. so Shut the F up.  

Boise is nice.  My wife and looked at relocating there twice, once the job wasn't offerred, and the second time it was but other circumstances arose that kept us from moving there.  Both times were early 2000's.  We didn't visit in the winter, but loved it in the Spring and Summer when we visited.  As others have said, it is prime growing regions for sugarbeets, potatoes and onions which means that you should have good soil and growing conditions for your home garden.  Heck, buy an acreage and put up peppers in a big way!  Good luck with the move, and look forward to seeing how your personal grow goes.  Maybe there is someone on here that wants to plant a few extras for you in the area...

Back