• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Telling a Butch T and a Bhut Jolokia Plant Apart

Other than the peppers themselves, is there any way to tell a Bhut Jolokia plant from a Trinidad Scorpion plant?

Yeah, the Butch T plant has a tag that says, "Butch T" on it, and the Bhut has a tag that says, "Bhut Jolokia" on it. :rofl:

But seriously, I currently have one of each in my dining room overwintering, and I have a hard time telling them apart by the leaves. My scorpion seems to have a lot more branches on it, but that could have been due to summer growing conditions more than anything. The Bhut was surrounded by tall plants, so probably had to drop some branches and grow higher to get adequate sunlight. The scorpion is shorter, branchier and leafier, but again that may have just been the summer growing conditions.

I guess I took some pics when I brought them in. These might help. Can you guess which is which?

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

Im no expert on the sub. But the Bhut plant should have larger leaves and larger fruit on itwhen it produces.Hope this helps

As megahot said.. There's really not any way to tell until it fruits. I can tell the difference from a habanero and a bhut plant, but not my scorpion n bhuts, they look the exact same. Besides, the plants are going to look alot different depending on where they're grown, inside, outside, climate, etc. For instance, my bhut/scorpion plants look completely different than midwestchileheads do.

I notice my Jolokia plants have longer thinner leaves and the little baby Butch scorpions for small chililings have some fat leaves.

Bhuts usuaully have skinnier leaves with jagged margins, scorpions have wider, fatter leaves and often have gigantic fan-like lower leaves.

I guess he told you, Nova ;)

So, can you picture folks tell me why my pics are sideways? They came from my phone and I uploaded them to photobucket. On photobucket, I rotated them before posting, but they still show up sideways. WTF?

Bhuts usuaully have skinnier leaves with jagged margins, scorpions have wider, fatter leaves and often have gigantic fan-like lower leaves.

That would make sense. The plant that I think is the Bhut has the narrower leaves, where the Scorpions have much wider leaves.

So, can you picture folks tell me why my pics are sideways? They came from my phone and I uploaded them to photobucket. On photobucket, I rotated them before posting, but they still show up sideways. WTF?

you have 2 properties for a picture, the one stored with the jpeg file and the one stored in the viewer you are using. photobucket is adjusting the viewing aspect for the properties and not the jpeg properties.

so, to rotated your picture, you can go back to your phone, load the picture, go into edit/properties or something similar and rotate the picture and save it. then reupload. you can rotate the jpeg properties from within your PC but you have that 2 step process of sending to your PC, then using a program like Paint to rotate the picture, then save it. but this fudge the image quality.

i am not sure with a smartphone if rotating how you view the phone(turn the phone sideways) if this will save the picture in portrait mode(versus landscape,which is what it is saved as right now for you). your phone may have a master setup for how pictures are stored and you may have to set that setting to portrait mode.

You can actually see the lone "Bhut" pod on the bottom plant.....That's the 1st thing I noticed yesterday...

Greg

Actually, I think there is a way to tell. Bhut plants have purple on their branches, where scorpions do not. I notice this on my plant that I believe is a bhut, where my scorpions do not have this. The stalk on the seedlings are also purple.

dsc00248lt.jpg

The TS plant.

dsc00249kd.jpg

The proposed Bhut

dsc00250km.jpg

The rogue seedling which popped up on my Bhut pot, which I also believe is a Bhut. Note the purple on the stalk.

Back