• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Test growing indoors

Last night I started some kind of a germination test indoors. I planted ten varieties to see if the seeds are good and if the setup works. I especially want to know if the transatlantic seeds survived transport. If they come out good maybe I keep them. I hope our overwintering guests, some lady bugs, will keep the aphids down.

That's the grow list and where the pods or seeds came from:

Bhut, Germany, Chiliac
Orange Habanero, Alabama, Highway 72, farmer sale
Cayenne, Alabama, Highway 72, farmer sale
Jalapeno, Alabama, Foodland
Anaheim, Alabama, WalMart
Serrano, Alabama, WalMart
Poblano, Alabama, WalMart
Rocoto red, Spain, Ebay
Rocoto canario, Spain, Ebay
Tepin, Spain, Ebay

I use a standard ESL bulb. I will need more light when they grow.

My friend im growing seed from about 20 country's this and next year,The ladybugs are fantastic allies but growing indoors can be without its problems here the aphids are gone its white fly and spider mites which are the problem now,Just keep a good eye on your plants and treat the pests asap when you find them..Lets hope those ladys do all the work for you and good luck :oops:

Good luck, you should be doing okay unless your plants get really infested by whatever. Better have some spray handy.
Keep us posted on your progress!

You can increase germination dramatically using a Pfr spectrum (660nm > 630nm-650nm). you don't need a "LED panel", just a few LEDs. spread the seeds evenly on a moist paper towel and lit on them overnight. put them all in the germination medium the next day.

This will take care of several problems, such as hibernation and long germination period.

Omri said:
You can increase germination dramatically using a Pfr spectrum (660nm > 630nm-650nm). you don't need a "LED panel", just a few LEDs. spread the seeds evenly on a moist paper towel and lit on them overnight. put them all in the germination medium the next day.

This will take care of several problems, such as hibernation and long germination period.

Indeed wise words my friend,A lcd and lights thread would be great from you as lots of us here are starting with lights for the first time..including me and would benefit from your knowledge on l.c.d and all forms of indoor lighting :shocked:

talas said:
Indeed wise words my friend,A lcd and lights thread would be great from you as lots of us here are starting with lights for the first time..including me and would benefit from your knowledge on l.c.d and all forms of indoor lighting :(
moi? :shocked:
I am sharing the little I know here and there, but it usually leads to an argument. :lol:

Omri was too shy to mention that there is some info about several kinds of lighting on his website (see signature) - so I decided to mention it for him!

Chiliac said:
Omri was too shy to mention that there is some info about several kinds of lighting on his website (see signature) - so I decided to mention it for him!

Yep Chiliac a link would have been nice,Its a great site and i learn t a great deal from it,Dont be shy on Good Knowledge brother Omri :)

Armadillo,

I haven't tried any of the high powered MH/SH lamps but have tried regular shop fluros, CFL bulbs and LED panels. They all work and each have their benefits and drawbacks.

The shop lights are probably the cheapest to buy unless you are handy at building fixtures. For $10 or so, you can cover 2.5 square feet with enough light to raise seedlings large enough to transplant. But most of them don't have enough lux so they have to be kept extremely close to the tops of the plants. Average cost to run them 16 hours a day for a month: $3.84.

Two 23-watt CFL bulbs will very adequately cover three square feet, especially if you use reflective material. The bulbs are anywhere from $2-5. If you need to build a panel to hold them, add about $3-4 per bulb, plus the lumber. They don't need to be kept quite as close, I kept mine about six inches from the top of the plants. They put out a little heat so they cannot be placed as close, plus I found I had to water the plants more frequently than with regular fluros. Cost per month - $2.20

LED - still relatively new and pricey. Have an advantage in that only spectrums plants use to grow can be produced. New panels now feature red, blue, white and yellow bulbs. High end panels allow one to actually dial what color lights they want to use. The costs though are still prohibitive. Panels or bulbs are going to set you back anywhere from $30-600, though I recently priced one that is $1,450 delivered.

With the exception of the "UFO" type, they produce very little heat and provide enough light, depending on the wattage to grow seedling to raising an entire garden. The basic 225 bulb, 14 watt panel will cover about 1.35 square feet, so the cost to light about 3 sq. feet for a month equals about $1.35. The panels are suppose to last for 50,000 hours-100,000 hours.

Fortunately, there is a source for hands-on testing and results for those interested in growing from seedlings to harvest: http://www.greenpinelane.com.

Mike

Omri said:

Waw Omri I've never heard of that !!!
Could you please be so kind as to enlighten us further ?
I read all your site but saw nothing about this ! :(

whocares said:
Waw Omri I've never heard of that !!!
Could you please be so kind as to enlighten us further ?
I read all your site but saw nothing about this ! :(

Omri (ChileLabs) said:
There is a group of pigments called 'Phytochrome' (P). the P's are only sensitive to red light. actually they're one of the main consumers of red light in a non-photosynthetic way. the P's can work in two modes - Pr (off) and Pfr (on). each is activated as a response to a certain wavelength (Pr peaks at 730nm and Pfr peaks at 660nm).

Like any normal person, you're probably asking yourself "what does it have to do with me?". well, apparently that besides the obvious qualities the P's have (that I will post another time as an article about the affect of light and the importance of a balanced spectrum) they are also present in seeds. in seeds the Pr mode basically means hibernation, meaning minimum germination. the fun thing about the P's is they work both ways. exposing your seeds to a Pfr spectrum will dramatically improve your germination rate and awake dormant seeds (isn't it fun taking so called "dead" seeds and force them to sprout?). for those who can't obtain a 660nm light source, 630nm and 650nm wavelengths are also effective.
It's basically the same mechanism plants use to determine if the shadow overpowering them is caused by lack of sun or another plant.

whocares said:
Thanks Omri :P
Which kind of light source would give the 660nm, 630nm or 650nm wavelengths?
Specific wavelengths? you'd need LEDs.
The pleasure is all mine.

OMRI: It's absolutely astonishing. Where did you learn all that? Are you a biologist or a professional gardener? Or is it just intensive research for your hobby?

Armadillo said:
OMRI: It's absolutely astonishing. Where did you learn all that? Are you a biologist or a professional gardener? Or is it just intensive research for your hobby?

As far as I know Omri is none of them, but he is a very intelligent young man. I thought he was more like a graphics designer but don't take any notice of me.

Armadillo said:
Just a simple person. working mainly with Graphics (good memory RB!) and computers. does a lot of "crafting" lately, but that's another story. I'm a just an overexcited hobby gardener who thinks there's no such thing as "too much knowledge".
rainbowberry said:
As far as I know Omri is none of them, but he is a very intelligent young man. I thought he was more like a graphics designer but don't take any notice of me.
*kiss*

Boah.... it's already THREE DAYS since I planted the seeds and STILL no germination... Am I too impatient? I wanted to harvest next week!!! :shocked:;)

Armadillo said:
Boah.... it's already THREE DAYS since I planted the seeds and STILL no germination... Am I too impatient? I wanted to harvest next week!!! :shocked:;)
Patience young grasshopper...

Back