• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Texas people where you at?

Oh boy, ok I'll be in a faded red button down with khaki slacks. I'd rather be wearing purple and gold to rep LSU!!!! just messing with ya AJ. see you there.

cool man...hey...I don't hate LSU unless they are playing Auburn...they are my second love of the SEC...F*** Alabama, Florida, and Georgia...

From Lubbock here. WEST SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDEEE  :dance:

Completely different growing conditions here than DFW area, but you gotta love the Texas heat. I stay in touch with many Texas growers on here. Great group of chiliheads around these parts. This area is known for growing green chilies and jalapeno's but I'm trying to be cool like Wes Lane and growing jungles out of super hots. I've failed to produce big numbers many of years but I'm getting better at it every year. Got some naga's that are catching me on fire this year...  :fireball:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:  :fireball:

Welcome to Tejas!

AlabamaJack said:
cool man...hey...I don't hate LSU unless they are playing Auburn...they are my second love of the SEC...F*** Alabama, Florida, and Georgia...

Hahaha, I can get with you on that to an extent. I can tolerate Florida myself because I've lived in Florida and I had family go there.

I actually had a friend who played football for LSU as a walk on. He was so good that they tried to get him to transfer to Auburn, he's a Auburn boy who grew up in Alabama, with guaranteed playtime.

I also just traveled to the Auburn campus back in early may and really enjoyed it. It was a beautiful campus in an amazing area but not too much around I have to say.

spicy_echo said:

Completely different growing conditions here than DFW area, but you gotta love the Texas heat. I stay in touch with many Texas growers on here. Great group of chiliheads around these parts. This area is known for growing green chilies and jalapeno's but I'm trying to be cool like Wes Lane and growing jungles out of super hots. I've failed to produce big numbers many of years but I'm getting better at it every year. Got some naga's that are catching me on fire this year...  :fireball:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:  :fireball:

Welcome to Tejas!

Ha! It seems like the west side is where it's at.

Yeah it's a big difference out here then back in Louisiana as well. It's sooooooooo dry. I hear people complaining about the heat and I barely notice. It feels good to me for the most part.

kooo Jungles eh? Well shoot if you have growing advice then please share. I'm not sure how to account for the big difference in climate yet. I have only four plants, two of which are naga's, that survived the trip and they are really struggling but alive. I wish you the best in your endeavor growing them out!

Thank you!

LS929 said:

I also just traveled to the Auburn campus back in early may and really enjoyed it. It was a beautiful campus in an amazing area but not too much around I have to say.

The campus has changed a lot since I went to school there...I go back every couple of years and visit a good friend of mine that is from and lives there...you are right...not much around...when you go to Auburn, you go to learn a way of life on top of getting a great education...if you like the woods and fishing...Auburn is the place to be...I could be in the woods on my stand within 15 minutes of my apartment that was just off campus...lot's of things to do for the outdoorsman...

by the way...it was good to meet you this evening..

<<<<<< Jealous!

Hope you all had a grand time at the festival, or are going to have, if you haven't gone yet. 

Just sign me,
Lost Texan  ;)

AlabamaJack said:

The campus has changed a lot since I went to school there...I go back every couple of years and visit a good friend of mine that is from and lives there...you are right...not much around...when you go to Auburn, you go to learn a way of life on top of getting a great education...if you like the woods and fishing...Auburn is the place to be...I could be in the woods on my stand within 15 minutes of my apartment that was just off campus...lot's of things to do for the outdoorsman...

by the way...it was good to meet you this evening..

Oh nice, I'm glad you visit it because if I went there also I'd have to as well. It really is a great place to be and that college lifestyle honestly sounds amazing. To be able to go hunting and fishing anytime you felt like would be incredible.

It really was a pleasure and I hope you found everything you needed. Like I said, if you need anything even some free man power to get the set up going feel free to ask. I'd love to help.

geeme said:
<<<<<< Jealous!

Hope you all had a grand time at the festival, or are going to have, if you haven't gone yet. 

Just sign me,
Lost Texan  ;)

It's happening for two weeks up until the 20th. It shuts down around four everyday just so you know. It's pretty low key.

spicy_echo said:

Welcome to Tejas!

whats it like out there? all this talk about auburn makes me second guess not accepting an offer i got from texas tech. w/ a scholarship too... lol. 
you guys still in super drought mode?
i heard its fairly rural, painfully so... according to so many folks.

did you inquire about Auburn Q?....I don't think you would ever regret your decision if you chose them....of course, depending on what field of study you are in....when I chose AU back in the late 70s, my goal was to become a wildlife biologist...I knew I wanted to stay in the Southeast so I compared all the SEC schools wildlife programs...as it turned out, AU's wildlife management program was under the department of Biology while all the other school's was under Forestry...well, it just didn't seem that you would get that strong of an education when you are in a department that has it's main focus on trees...anyway, that's why I made my decision besides all the beautiful surrounding countryside...lot's of lakes within 50 miles...gulf 250 to the south...the "loveliest little city on the plain's " as it is called sits on the border between the piedmont and coastal zone's referring to soil type...south is coastal zone, north is piedmont...west is black belt....mighty good inground grows come from the coastal zone...the loamy sandy soil is very very fertile... 

anything you want to know about AU, ask...if I don't know the answer, I know where to get it...that's all a bachelors degree does isn't it....you learn some basics but problem solving is what you really learn...

queequeg152 said:

whats it like out there? all this talk about auburn makes me second guess not accepting an offer i got from texas tech. w/ a scholarship too... lol. 
you guys still in super drought mode?
i heard its fairly rural, painfully so... according to so many folks.

We've had a very mild summer this year which is nice seeing how we are pulling out of a 4 year drought/heat wave. Early this spring was looking very bad. We had over double or triple the amount of dust storms year to date early on this year than ever been recorded. Once summer hit though we've had some good rain (for this area) and very mild temps ranging in 90-95. It is fairly rural around lubbock, but lubbock itself is a growing beast. They are predicting by the year 2020 that Lubbock will double in size. That's 250k + 250k! The oil boom is making it's way up here so it's getting there pretty quick. 

You listen here... SEC is the devil you hear!? TTU is where it's at!

;) AJ

AlabamaJack said:
did you inquire about Auburn Q?....I don't think you would ever regret your decision if you chose them....of course, depending on what field of study you are in....when I chose AU back in the late 70s, my goal was to become a wildlife biologist...I knew I wanted to stay in the Southeast so I compared all the SEC schools wildlife programs...as it turned out, AU's wildlife management program was under the department of Biology while all the other school's was under Forestry...well, it just didn't seem that you would get that strong of an education when you are in a department that has it's main focus on trees...anyway, that's why I made my decision besides all the beautiful surrounding countryside...lot's of lakes within 50 miles...gulf 250 to the south...the "loveliest little city on the plain's " as it is called sits on the border between the piedmont and coastal zone's referring to soil type...south is coastal zone, north is piedmont...west is black belt....mighty good inground grows come from the coastal zone...the loamy sandy soil is very very fertile... 

anything you want to know about AU, ask...if I don't know the answer, I know where to get it...that's all a bachelors degree does isn't it....you learn some basics but problem solving is what you really learn...

no i didnt look outside the state. Trying to not rake up more debt than i needed to.  i ended up with A&M. Everyone i talked to shit on TT, saying it was a party school etc. etc.
i suspect its all bullshit tho. 

understand the debt thing...it used to be that if you went 4 straight quarters, you could become a resident and therefore an in state student which the tuition was a lot less...don't know how it works now

spicy_echo said:

We've had a very mild summer this year which is nice seeing how we are pulling out of a 4 year drought/heat wave. Early this spring was looking very bad. We had over double or triple the amount of dust storms year to date early on this year than ever been recorded. Once summer hit though we've had some good rain (for this area) and very mild temps ranging in 90-95. It is fairly rural around lubbock, but lubbock itself is a growing beast. They are predicting by the year 2020 that Lubbock will double in size. That's 250k + 250k! The oil boom is making it's way up here so it's getting there pretty quick. 

You listen here... SEC is the devil you hear!? TTU is where it's at!

;) AJ

dust storms! damn thats incredible.

good to hear you guys are pulling out of that crap.  in houston too, we are getting huge rain this summer. i havent had to water the lawn one time since like may.

Dang Chewi,

Somehow I managed to stumble my way back into the forum when I saw you picked it back up.

I haven't been active in some time and not planting this year for me. How have the plants done this year with all the crazy rain and storms lately?

LS929 said:
Dang Chewi,

Somehow I managed to stumble my way back into the forum when I saw you picked it back up.

I haven't been active in some time and not planting this year for me. How have the plants done this year with all the crazy rain and storms lately?

Ah man you thinking about growing anything next year? I've been lucky with the weather. Looks like 100's later this week though. Brutal!

150 miles west of you old school BrainStrain,Lava, Starfish,Biker Japs and 4 strains of Thai are rocking(3-4'plants)
Kept my shit tucked up from the crazy weather,they are out in shaded sun and loving good drinks of well water
87 plants total
Chewi said:

Ah man you thinking about growing anything next year? I've been lucky with the weather. Looks like 100's later this week though. Brutal!

Back