• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Thai Black Pepper

I was given some Thai Black pepper seeds. First time for me. Only two of my starts worked. They're still in large cups but are showing flowers. The strange thing is one has white flowers and the other purple. I've never grown plants with purple flowers ..... looks cool. For those who've grown these before which color of flowers should they have ?

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

TBwhite.jpg

TBpurple.jpg

I did a search but couldn't find anything about Thai Black Peppers...

If I had to guess i would say that the true one is the one with the purple flowers.
I say this because, in a quick search in the chileman.org, every variety with the word Black somewhere in its name has purple flowers like the ones you posted.

Lets see what other replies you get. :)

Bleash

I'm with Bleash, whenever there is a mention of black in the name, the flowers are purple.

But don't waste the other one, let it grow out and see what it is. Thats the beauty of peppers.

the one with the purple flowers will give you black / purple pods. the one with white flowers might give you red.

the one with the purple flowers will give you black / purple pods. the one with white flowers might give you red.

They'll probably all ripen to red. I don't think I've ever seen an annuum that ripens purple :)

This variety sounds to me like a fairly recent cross(unstable) between a thai chile and a purple flowered annuum(likely an ornamental type)
Save seeds from the plant with characteristics you like the best and you can try to stabalise them over time

the Thai black's real name is "Prik Kee Nu chinda dum" ...I got them when I was in Thailand 2 years back I think....
it should have white flowers and dark foliage, the pods start out green then turn black because of their sensitivity to the sun
but then they turn red, I think they originated from North East Thailand

Back