• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Thank you THP, for the Courage to Start Two Ferments

Been reading everyone's posts and both hot sauce 101 stickies like crazy. I'm a homebrewer, so very familiar with sanitation, pH, and ferments (Lacto & Sacch). Finally got the nerve up to do my first ferments, after successfully making a 'fresh' sauce with blueberry/raspberry/scorpions.

Both are 3.6% brine solution (distilled H20 + Canning salts), with 1 T whey starter. I do record all ingredients in grams for repeatability and tweaking. Yes, that jars are blue/green tint.

Thank you THP! I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Left: 15 Scotch Bonnets, 12 Peach Habanero, 1 yellow bell, 1 small vidalia, 3 cloves garlic, 1 inch ginger. Going to process with some grilled pineapple, lime juice, and white vinegar after 30 days.

Right:  9 CARDI Scorpions, 4 Peter Peppers, 8 7-Pot Bubblegum, 4 Fresno, 1 7-Pot Primo, 1 Red Bell, 1 Head Garlic, 1 medium vidalia onion. Going to process after 30-60 days with white vinegar, small amount of sugar, tomato paste, and splash of bourbon.

28822339396_f0a8a86ce0_b.jpg

Go for 45 days much better!  :P  In the fermenting game patience pays off. Love your mix sail&brew looks like a winner!! Just a suggestion instead of tomato paste try sun dried  tomatoes i have used T paste and have found the SD tomatoes give a much more complex flavor profile. giver a try my friend you wont be sorry.  :dance:  And next time try some wine for your brine really amazing.
 And WELCOME TO THE FERMENTING CREW !!  :onfire:

oldsalty said:
Go for 45 days much better!  :P  In the fermenting game patience pays off. Love your mix sail&brew looks like a winner!! Just a suggestion instead of tomato paste try sun dried  tomatoes i have used T paste and have found the SD tomatoes give a much more complex flavor profile. giver a try my friend you wont be sorry.  :dance:  And next time try some wine for your brine really amazing.
 And WELCOME TO THE FERMENTING CREW !!  :onfire:

Thank you for the suggestions, I did read many of our posts leading up to this. Sun dried tomatoes sound like a great idea, done.
Wine sounds very interesting as well, I'll have to do some more research and use that on my next ferment.

Looks like you're off to a great start.  You'll be amazed at the difference between cooked and fermented sauces.  Have fun and post some follow up pics!!  :)

SmokenFire said:
Looks like you're off to a great start.  You'll be amazed at the difference between cooked and fermented sauces.  Have fun and post some follow up pics!!   :)
Will do. I have about 30 plants this year, and have been saving my harvests in the freezer while I hone my fermentation skills. I have lots of white habanero's waiting to be used in RocketMans Theriac.

Many updates and photos to come!

Sounds great!!!! I'd probably use a different kind of vinegar though. White vinegar is very sharp to me. Too sharp for my everyday tastes. Rice wine vinegar. Champagne vinegar MMmmmmmmmm....

Your ferments look great and I know they will taste absolutely BANGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sirex said:
Sounds great!!!! I'd probably use a different kind of vinegar though. White vinegar is very sharp to me. Too sharp for my everyday tastes. Rice wine vinegar. Champagne vinegar MMmmmmmmmm....

Your ferments look great and I know they will taste absolutely BANGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good point about vinegar. I also have sugar cane, rice, and ACV. A taste test is in order!

Back