• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

That first bite of a fresh pod

Couldn't wait any longer. I was counting pods like usual and heard this tiny whisper, sounding so much like "eat me". Nobody but me around so I ignored it. I kept hearing it "eat me" over and over so I finally decided to see where it was coming from. I took a couple of steps and it got louder, "EAT ME" came the voice. I stopped right in front of a Tabasco plant and there it was, standing straight up in the air, an unripe yellow Tabasco pepper.

I looked at it and said dude you ain't even ripe why would I want to eat you? "EAT ME" came the reply. Nope, I ain't going to eat a half ripe Tabasco pepper. "CHICKEN SHIT!" Calling out my manliness and machismo now. So I picked the rude SOB, popped it into my mouth and started chewing. Ten minutes later the heat is gone.

It was about an inch and a quarter long and about as big around as a #2 pencil. Little turd was hot too.

Hope I didn't bore anyone.

Hehe :) i was thinking i could handle a lot of heat due to hot sauces, but i tried a store-bought green jalapeno raw and it knocked me on my butt!

I'm going to die horribly when my superhots grow :D

The tabasco is a great chilli to eat raw as it gives that instant 'slap in the face' kind of heat that is so much fun.....What till you get a fully ripe one!!!!:)

I have my first Fresno's growing up right now. Both are about an inch long. Might be ready in a week or two?, I guess. But I'm already having those same feelings every time I check my plants out. The pods seem to grow daily. I hope I can wait for them to ripen...

I was suprised at the heat from one of my green tobascos I ate the other day. Especially since Tobasco brand suace has no heat at all.

I thought Tabasco peppers were in the same neighborhood as jalapenos. Silly me. Checking the many Scoville charts on the WWW the Tabasco is in the 30,000 to 50,000 range while jalapenos are in the 3,000 to 8,000 range. That will teach me to rely on my own memory.

MoyBoy you're absolutely right, as soon as I crunched the heat was on. Surprised the heck out of me. Kind of fun.

My Thai hots at around 100 000 scovilles are about my limit whole. I've tried half an orange hab both ripe and unripe and I thought I was gonna die. No milk though.:)

You got me beat chillilover. I'd probably be rolling around on the floor wondering what the hell I just did to myself.

My arms and legs tingled with the half of hab........I though I was dying. What a rush though....I know why Neil does it.:lol: If I put fresh peppers in food that is hot temperature wise, its way worse. I made the mistake of trying a red savina in a bowl of chili and a Naga in my spagetti.... It was like drinking boiling water.

I'm scared to eat a superhot! The naga has scarred me for life!

3n23m33l0ZZZZZZZZZ94o118aac072a3a13.jpg

Excellent Pat! I had the same experience today... Twice! Was checking out my Thai Hot (you hearing this chililover?) and saw the first red ripe pod nestled down in the middle of all that foliage.

These little things are my favorite garden snacks ever, and last summer I ate them like candy, so I got all giddy for a sec and popped it in my mouth. just as tasty as I remember, sweet and nutty with a nice flash of heat that made my eyes water a good bit.

So then I move over to my mystery hab, which had recently come out of the closet as being orange. There was one smallish pod in the center of the plant about as big around as a nickel that was turning ripe over the weekend. Today was indeed the day, and it was shiny and orange like a gumball ready to be chomped.

I cut it in half just to check out the glands on the placenta. True to my expectations, there were only 3 seeds inside, but a ton of glistening orange resiny goodness attached to the bearer of those seeds. So I popped both halves into my gullet and remembered why I grow these things in the first place. Fruity to the max, smokey, and all of a sudden the back of my throat is goin off in awesome. That little pod whopped my ass for a few minutes, and even burned the roof of my mouth for the next 5 or so minutes! Awesomeness!

The only bad part was when I forgot I'd let the damn thing roll around in my hand after I'd cut it in half and wiped the sweat off my forehead. Burned like hell, and looked like I'd been caned in the face for a good while there.

Congrats Patrick! I shared in your first pod splendor today, and it was a glorious moment in the sun.

Now for the Fataliis and Bhuts!

Hey Patrick if you like the Tabascos you will like the rats turd too i think. It's hotter than the 'bascos but smaller. For some reason my plants looks all "spastic" for lack of a better term.

Carry on!

Right on 5*. It was a glorious moment. Been waiting over six months for a taste of home grown heat. Damn fine moment.

Rat's turds Nova? You got seeds?

Hey guys. Look at my little girlfriend eating a tiny Red Savina fruit.
Her name is Lena (Helen), she's 23 and she's really cool chili eater.
There's nothing to afraid but tears and ass burn a day later.

Nothing wrong with eating an unripe pod. Especially Tabascos. I believe they actually pick tabascos in that stage for pickling... i.e. you know those restaurants (Steak n' Shake comes to mind) that have the pickled hot peppers on the table? I believe those are tabascos. I've been munching on yellow tabascos for about a month now, while I wait for the peppers to start turning. Some have finally started turning in the past week. I also finally gave in getting impatient waiting for my Caribbean Reds to turn and picked a medium sized one of those green and ate it. That was good... and tons of heat even being unripe. I've been told by a friend that a lot of pepper growers will pick and taste unripe peppers in various stages to make sure the heat and flavor is developing properly, but he may have been BS'ing me because he wanted to see how hot the Caribbean Reds were getting as much or more than I was.

Just curious. I have thought about getting Tabasco peppers but there is something stopping me. Do they taste like that god awful sauce? I know some people think it taste good and all but I think it taste like sh*t. So is it the pepper or the "fine" recipe of other ingredients in the sauce?

The problem with the sauce is the overwhelming amount of vinegar in it. The peppers are actually nice and tasty, and QUITE hot compared to the sauce. They're also very prolific. You can make your own version of tabasco sauce with them that will be much tastier than the one in the store.

Jah I couldn't believe the stuff your girlfriend was saying! Made me laugh my butt off. She's a keeper for sure.

crazy8, I didn't get the real flavor of the pepper since it was unripe. Grow some, see for yourself.

Back