seed-train The annual Mega Seed Train 2020/2021

So I probably spent more time than I should have going over the past 2 years worth of seed train threads and wanted to clarify a few things for the new riders like myself. Please correct me if I have any of this incorrect.

If you can't find them at your local post office, free bubble mailers can be found here: https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-padded-flat-rate-envelope-P_EP14PE
However, I don't know if they will arrive before the seed train starts. Those in the middle of the train likely have a bit more time to get their mailers together.

All seed packets should be labeled with as much information as possible such as: contributor's name/handle, plant name, date harvested, pollination type (open, isolated), seed line origin, cross history, etc. Are there any other "must-haves" ? 

When it is your turn to select seeds from the train, in general, entire seed packets are NOT up for grabs, instead the intention is for riders to take a small portion of seeds from the packets. Riders will then add their own contribution of equal or greater value to the rest of the of the train and place it into a fresh bubble mailer.

That having been said, in the past some people have submitted pre-portioned packets of seeds for other riders to take. What are everyone's thoughts on marking pre-portioned packs of seeds to ensure only the correct packets are taken? It seems like in the past, there were a few instances of people taking bulk seed packets that were intended to be shared with the group. I can't tell whether that was out of selfishness or misunderstanding but this might be a way to help cut down on that in the future.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

"All seed packets should be labeled with as much information as possible such as: contributor's name/handle, plant name, date harvested, pollination type (open, isolated), seed line origin, cross history, etc. Are there any other "must-haves" ? "

Good idea but all of that aint gonna fit on some of the little ziplock packets that are in there.

My local Post Office has the Flat Rate Bubble mailers (free) in their lobby.  It's a help yourself thing.  

Tybo said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

"All seed packets should be labeled with as much information as possible such as: contributor's name/handle, plant name, date harvested, pollination type (open, isolated), seed line origin, cross history, etc. Are there any other "must-haves" ? "

Good idea but all of that aint gonna fit on some of the little ziplock packets that are in there.

Not saying my way is the right way to do it, but here is an example of what I put in my bags to keep track of all that. I did a mock up in Excel that fits a good portion of that information on there. These should fit in all but the smallest of the zippered bags without needing to be folded. 

Example Label.png

The sample spreadsheet can be downloaded here if anyone is interested. You may need to play with your specific printer settings but it can be done.

Harry_Dangler said:
My local Post Office has the Flat Rate Bubble mailers (free) in their lobby.  It's a help yourself thing.  

I'll amend my previous post to clarify. As you said, ordering them should only be necessary if you don't have access to them at your local post office.

Tybo said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

6400229e526d7b5ca7e36b3f1ab54957.jpg

Something like this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edaxflamma said:
When it is your turn to select seeds from the train, in general, entire seed packets are NOT up for grabs, instead the intention is for riders to take a small portion of seeds from the packets. Riders will then add their own contribution of equal or greater value to the rest of the of the train and place it into a fresh bubble mailer.

That having been said, in the past some people have submitted pre-portioned packets of seeds for other riders to take. What are everyone's thoughts on marking pre-portioned packs of seeds to ensure only the correct packets are taken? It seems like in the past, there were a few instances of people taking bulk seed packets that were intended to be shared with the group. I can't tell whether that was out of selfishness or misunderstanding but this might be a way to help cut down on that in the future.
Some people included individual packs of 10 seeds, I have however included packs of 100+. The intention is that each recipient count out 10 or so seeds of each variety. It would take up too much room to split them into individual packs. Plus it would take a lot more time for me to prepare them. I usually include a bunch of baggies as well.

It’s all about the honor system. Just try to keep it fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Jeffcontonio
2. Heatmiser
3. Midwestchilihead
4. Tybo
5. Harry_dangler
6. Pshngo
7. Sergeant pepper
8. RedHotChiliPeppers
9. Hardcore
10. Paul g
11. Sinn
12. Pepperfish
13. Edaxflamma
14. TexasHotPeppers
20. Hillbilly Jeff

I'm good for whenever. Do we want to leave space in the middle for late comers or was that too much of a hassle in previous years?

1. Jeffcontonio
2. Heatmiser
3. Midwestchilihead
4. Tybo
5. Harry_dangler
6. Pshngo
7. Sergeant pepper
8. RedHotChiliPeppers
—Open
—Open
—Open
9. Hardcore
10. Paul g
11. Sinn
12. Pepperfish
13. Edaxflamma
14. TexasHotPeppers
15.Hillbilly Jeff

Hillbilly Jeff, you will start off the B train. Please let me know your address in a private message. After you have made your selections you will send the package to texasHotPeppers.

Heatmiser, you are the first recipient of the A train. Please let me know your address in a private message. After you have made your selections you will send the package to midwestchilihead.

If at any point the seeds I have included begin to run low, or become completely depleted, please let me know and I will provide more.

Back