smokers THE AUSSIE BUILD A UGLY DRUM SMOKER SMACK DOWN! MOYBOYvsCHILLIMAN!

THE BURN
001.jpg

THE TRAIL RUN !
019.jpg

011.jpg

This was MAX (APP 90 degree), min was around 70 degree - Average 75 degree celcius! (BOTTOM TEMP IS INSIDE SMOKER)
lol - TEMP mount ! And rain shelter!
020.jpg

Still have to paint-
I used the charcoal chimney as coal basket and worked GREAT ! Was still warm at 11.30AM this morning when I got up -
We only put 30 pieces of coal and 4 hand fulls of hickory over the night !

After cutting the top out I left 5mm all the way around the inside which my grate fits into beautifully ! I know it is messy!
009.jpg

But here is some food ! 6 hrs for the snags and about 12 hrs for lamb ! AND LOTS OF TURKEY!

BHUT SAUSAGE !
021.jpg

LEG LAMB -
022.jpg

It tasted a every bit as good as it looked !

At it again tonight !
Going to install spit - next week!
Plan to experiment a lot with this thing !!

On menu tonight !
Pork sausage and Chicken pieces with the CHILLIMAN CHILLI SPICE rub.

;) still practise will do cook off dish when MOYBOY finishes !
Get photos up tomorrow!

The weekend wasn't very kind to me so I didn't get anything done with my UDS, and yesterday was much to windy to burn the drum out......

I hope to find time to play with it through the week and maybe burn it out over the weekend...

Its all good you still have time !
Ill just practise cooking for the cook off !

NO kidding - It took us 10min to make ! It took us longer to light the fire in the drum than it did to make it !
1 hole in bottom - cut the top out - that was it !

CAn you post a pic of your basket and ash tray..

I'm still struggling with that.....I promise I woun't use the same design.....Bwarhahahahahahahaha

I cheated the first night, and found that it works great ! So I kept it !
This is a pic from google but mine is similar - from BIG W for $20
chimney%20starter.png

I have placed a TIN roast tray on top with a little water and hickory chips as well.
I fit around 30 pieces in there and will sit around 75 degrees for 12hrs ! held 50 degree for 24hrs
For how easy this is - I dont know if I want a basket ! Easy to light, move around etc

finally got to work on this a little bit today..now its raining and cold.

finding any weber replacement grills are impossible here without spending $40 + shipping, so i built them..not totally round....total cost later..lol

2cftzcy.jpg

still have to make the bottom grate for the charcoal basket but its just about done

oumiyh.jpg

cost so far

drum - free
cost to make charcoal basket & racks - $9.04
bolts for legs & grill supports - $3
intake parts so far - $9.29
3 thermometer - $16

Where do I go to find the ungalvinized steel mesh for making charcoal baskets? All I've been able to locate so far is the galvanized stuff:(

POTAWIE said:
Where do I go to find the ungalvinized steel mesh for making charcoal baskets? All I've been able to locate so far is the galvanized stuff:(

i got mine at a local metal fab shop... ask them if they have any "drops and pieces" they will know what you mean... if not you can find them at home depot... they look like this when you buy them...

They have two styles, 1/2" and 3/4". The 3/4" came in 24X24" sheets usually

i would strongly recommend finding a place that makes trailers, etc etc..they always have the good stuff and is cheap..i paid $2 for both of my pieces...my basket is 2 pieces 8 inches X 43" welded together to make it 12" high

042509_11531.jpg

got a little more done today..just about ready to cook on it..

coat of primer(most dont prime it but i had it down to bare metal..it needed it) plus intakes installed
2ldc20k.jpg

charcoal basket all done ready to go..

akimtv.jpg

all the hardware in place (the stuff on the inside of the drum is cooking spray not paint.lol)

24ew2mu.jpg

tomorrows jobs...finish coat(if it doesnt rain..if it does i am seasoning it tomorrow). clean up the lid, install thermometer..fire it up

picked up one of these today for $14.99
-!Maverick%20ET%20808C%20Digital%20Roasting%20Thermometer%20and%20Timer--144714452.jpg

Nice thermo ! Thats what I have been looking for ! Mine is mostly plastic and I have to put in and pull out.

Thats a huge coal basket ? I only use the little one and it is heaps !

How hot do you get it ? Mine is more of a slow cooker & 75-95 degree celsius. ?

are you extra inlets with caps for more air when needed ?

LOOKS MUCH more pro than mine !

But I have run mine at least Dozen times so far !

I LOVE THESE THINGS !!!! ESPECIALLY FRESH FISH -
going to take mine away to setup on side of river while camping, so I can have fish in and out all week end !

One thing is for sure different wood different taste, and the length of time in there also !

chilliman said:
Thats a huge coal basket ? I only use the little one and it is heaps !

How hot do you get it ? Mine is more of a slow cooker & 75-95 degree celsius. ?

my temps are low same as yours, i just get more burn time..say 12-14 hours minimum @ 250*F... you dont light the basket all at once..just light the center of it and let it catch itself on fire...

chilliman said:
are you extra inlets with caps for more air when needed ?

yup thats what they are for..when you open them, your temps go higher, ideal for Q'ing poultry

IMG_0029.jpg

Back