• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The back ah mah throat!

Does anyone else never get throat burn? The only parts of my mouth that ever burn are my tongue and lips, but mostly just tongue. I always see people talking about back of the throat burn but I've never had it, and I've eaten almost everything...bhut jolokia, Butch T, Scorpion, 7 Pod, Douglah, Morouga, etc. Maybe it's because I don't have tonsils or because of the structure of my mouth/throat or something, but it always seems strange to me to see that because it's pretty much just my tongue that burns. :confused: The lining of my mouth only slightly burns if I chew on the inside of my mouth (bad nervous habit) before eating hot stuff.

For some reason habanero powder burns my throught, but fresh habaneros do not? Some hot annuums burn the back of my throat a little too, but most of the time I don't get the throat burn.

I've never had the extreme throat burn that some people seem to get, but no matter what I eat, if it is hotter than a habanero, my tongue feels like someone is holding it to a flame :eek:

I personally chew on meh chiles very slowly and swallow even slower to enjoy the moment. that is mainly the reason to why my throat suffers quite often. I'm sure I could have spared myself the unnecessary pain, but swallowing chiles really fast usually makes me choke and it doesn't taste as good.

I get the throat burn, what I don't get is the ear ringing that some people say they get. I also don't seem to get bad lip burn either, maybe a little but that's it. Ironically the pepper that has given me the worst throat burn so far is the fatali, which is the least hot of the peppers I eat on a regular basis. Even a Yellow 7 didn't give me a throat and chest burn like the fatali did.

Try doing one of those bad boys on a video, I bet you'll find the back of your throat on a Douglah, 7 Brown or Jonah. Be fun to watch.

Try doing one of those bad boys on a video, I bet you'll find the back of your throat on a Douglah, 7 Brown or Jonah. Be fun to watch.

I'll pass. :oops: But yeah I did think about that, I think my toes would even be on fire eating a whole fresh Douglah. :eek: Maybe one day I'll eat a whole fresh super hot, but quarters are more than enough right now. :eek:

I usually do not get throat burn (I also have no tonsils) but I almost alway get the hiccups no matter what kind of pepper it is... If there is any heat to it at all, I will have the hiccups for a few minutes... Very aggravating.

Back