• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat The beginning of the end for Jalapeno?

A good jalapeno is a thing of beauty
Yep. Still growing this old heirloom from Mexico it's the universal pepper fits every dish.
1710619908606.png
pepper.

Commercially grown jalapenos are a disgrace. I don't really mind that they selected the heat out of them (plenty other options for that) but in this process they also made the flavor disappear and it's exactly that unique flavor that makes a good jalapeno in my opinion.
Will be growing a lot of jalapenos this year, hoping to find a winner!

Those Chile Rayado look nice though (added to wishlist! :D)

Last edited:
that's what I'm doing Sulsa - growing some of the others out that I've accumulated, hopefully we'll find something good :D
In the meantime I'm looking at those Chile Rayado as well

Just remember the Chili Rayado. We can always cross it with the Mild wimpy Jalapeno's.
They will realy melt yer face right off. This is not your fathers Jalapeño. :fireball:
1710520878230.png
Just remember the Chili Rayado. We can always cross it with the Mild wimpy Jalapeno's.
They will realy melt yer face right off. This is not your fathers Jalapeño. :fireball:
1710520878230.png

Good afternoon
This morning I went to compare some chillies I have growing in a corner and realized that it is Chilli Rayado. I found a nice ripe one, the first I have seen, and promptly devoured it there and then. To my surprize I got a fire in my mouth like I never had. Even my ears were tingeling.
That stuff is hot! I eat chillis every day, but that is almost too hot. Did not last long.
I will save seeds and plant again in the spring.
Any info on this variety would be welcome.

Good afternoon
This morning I went to compare some chillies I have growing in a corner and realized that it is Chilli Rayado. I found a nice ripe one, the first I have seen, and promptly devoured it there and then. To my surprize I got a fire in my mouth like I never had. Even my ears were tingeling.
That stuff is hot! I eat chillis every day, but that is almost too hot. Did not last long.
I will save seeds and plant again in the spring.
Any info on this variety would be welcome.
I can't help but laugh, the Chili Rayado is :mouthonfire:HOT as hell with fuzzy branches.
It was a hotter Jalapeño I wanted like I had in my youth, well my first bite of a nice red ripe pod
& I salivated like a mad dog. A Scotchie is easier to eat than this :flamethrower: Jalapeño.

If you just look at the plant with that unique color & fuzzy branches it look Toxic & that should be a
warning to Beware me I'm hot. They make great Pickled :hot:rings, only not for the faint at heart.

I can't help but laugh, the Chili Rayado is :mouthonfire:HOT as hell with fuzzy branches.
It was a hotter Jalapeño I wanted like I had in my youth, well my first bite of a nice red ripe pod
& I salivated like a mad dog. A Scotchie is easier to eat than this :flamethrower: Jalapeño.

If you just look at the plant with that unique color & fuzzy branches it look Toxic & that should be a
warning to Beware me I'm hot. They make great Pickled :hot:rings, only not for the faint at heart.
I was surprized. My wife was giving me worried looks. I like the taste an will use them for sure. I have about 10 plants there with fruits and lots of flowers.
I am trying my hand at crossings. Have you done some?

The only conclusion I can arrive at is that the Chile Rayado is a very old cross between Goat's Weed and a Jalapeno of sorts that was stabilised way back when and has become an heirloom.

Let me explain. The Goat's Weed, apparently originating in Venezuela, was considered unique (before we were exposed to the Chile Rayado) for a Capsicum anuum in that it has fuzzy stems and grey fuzzy leaves. In the words of the late great Beth Boyd "it is a handsome plant". It is C. anuum var glabriusculum - typical wild anuum. If you've ever looked at a tepin or Bolivian Rainbow or Chile Rayado you will see that the pedicel has a crook neck with the little white flowers facing outwards. The ripe fruit are erect ("facing heaven")
Now let's consider the Jalapeno as a general representative of C. anuum var anuum. The leaves are dark green and glabrous. The flowers are large and the pedicel curves at the base and the flowers face downwards. The ripe fruit hang downwards.
Now. Chile Rayado. The plants resemble the Goat's Weed in the fuzzy stems and grey fuzzy leaves but are not stiffly erect (bad choice of adjectives with Tinkerbelle around :shocked:) like the Goat's Weed but has a more open branching habit like a typical anuum var anuum. Also Chile Rayado has typical anuum var anuum flowers.
Heat-wise it is more along the lines of anuum var glabriusculum - the very aggressive rasping heat similar to a C. frutescens.
So there you have it - my dissertation proving it is not a Jalapeno but a genuine heirloom cultivar that is most likely a very old Goat's Weed x Jalapeno selection.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that because it isn't a Jalapeno it is not worth growing. On the contrary. It is a fantastic unique chili that deserves to be more widely grown. It was originally introduced as the Farmer's Market Jalapeno - do a search for the original post. When I acquired seeds I did more investigation as it just didn't look like a Jalapeno. And that's when I discovered Chile Rayado - it was in a pdf book someone posted on THP. Unfortunately in Espanol so me no capable of reading it. But I found Chile Rayado in it.
I find it to be one of the best for sauce making - very meaty (hence bulk) but with a fantastic flavour and heat.

I have a shit ton of seeds. If someone can figure out a way to get them outside of South Africa (our Post Office along with every other State Owned Enterprise is fuct and we rely on courier services to move packages around the Country). DHL is an option. If there's a central address I can send to I will (helluva expensive for us with our piss hand currency but not so much if Euro or dollar).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that because it isn't a Jalapeno it is not worth growing. On the contrary. It is a fantastic unique chili that deserves to be more widely grown. It was originally introduced as the Farmer's Market Jalapeno - do a search for the original post. When I acquired seeds I did more investigation as it just didn't look like a Jalapeno. And that's when I discovered Chile Rayado - it was in a pdf book someone posted on THP. Unfortunately in Espanol so me no capable of reading it. But I found Chile Rayado in it.
I find it to be one of the best for sauce making - very meaty (hence bulk) but with a fantastic flavour and heat.

I have a shit ton of seeds. If someone can figure out a way to get them outside of South Africa (our Post Office along with every other State Owned Enterprise is fuct and we rely on courier services to move packages around the Country). DHL is an option. If there's a central address I can send to I will (helluva expensive for us with our piss hand currency but not so much if Euro or dollar).
I would love to find the PDF as I am fluent in Spanish. Not native but better than my English. Afrikaans is my language.

Back to the description of the plants. I do not see the fuzyness on my plants. I will have to take pictures and post it. At the moment there are no ripe ones left.
The day here in Argentina is breaking. When there is enough light I will take pictures.
Thanks for the info.

The only conclusion I can arrive at is that the Chile Rayado is a very old cross between Goat's Weed and a Jalapeno of sorts that was stabilised way back when and has become an heirloom.

Let me explain. The Goat's Weed, apparently originating in Venezuela, was considered unique (before we were exposed to the Chile Rayado) for a Capsicum anuum in that it has fuzzy stems and grey fuzzy leaves. In the words of the late great Beth Boyd "it is a handsome plant". It is C. anuum var glabriusculum - typical wild anuum. If you've ever looked at a tepin or Bolivian Rainbow or Chile Rayado you will see that the pedicel has a crook neck with the little white flowers facing outwards. The ripe fruit are erect ("facing heaven")
Now let's consider the Jalapeno as a general representative of C. anuum var anuum. The leaves are dark green and glabrous. The flowers are large and the pedicel curves at the base and the flowers face downwards. The ripe fruit hang downwards.
Now. Chile Rayado. The plants resemble the Goat's Weed in the fuzzy stems and grey fuzzy leaves but are not stiffly erect (bad choice of adjectives with Tinkerbelle around :shocked:) like the Goat's Weed but has a more open branching habit like a typical anuum var anuum. Also Chile Rayado has typical anuum var anuum flowers.
Heat-wise it is more along the lines of anuum var glabriusculum - the very aggressive rasping heat similar to a C. frutescens.
So there you have it - my dissertation proving it is not a Jalapeno but a genuine heirloom cultivar that is most likely a very old Goat's Weed x Jalapeno selection.
Great info. Thanks. I will hsve to pay more attension to detail. When it gets light I will do so.

I would love to find the PDF as I am fluent in Spanish. Not native but better than my English. Afrikaans is my language.

Back to the description of the plants. I do not see the fuzyness on my plants. I will have to take pictures and post it. At the moment there are no ripe ones left.
The day here in Argentina is breaking. When there is enough light I will take pictures.
Thanks for the info.
Do your pods have considerable corking green or red?
1710935181367.png

The flesh of ripe pods is crisp & :mouthonfire:

1710935329477.png

The plant is beautiful. :deadhorse:

1710935620921.png

4 plants filled this bowl a least 3 times, 1 bowl = 10 pounds a lot for 4 pants of any thing.

1710935832843.png

Back