• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat The beginning of the end for Jalapeno?

The only conclusion I can arrive at is that the Chile Rayado is a very old cross between Goat's Weed and a Jalapeno of sorts that was stabilised way back when and has become an heirloom.

Let me explain. The Goat's Weed, apparently originating in Venezuela, was considered unique (before we were exposed to the Chile Rayado) for a Capsicum anuum in that it has fuzzy stems and grey fuzzy leaves. In the words of the late great Beth Boyd "it is a handsome plant". It is C. anuum var glabriusculum - typical wild anuum. If you've ever looked at a tepin or Bolivian Rainbow or Chile Rayado you will see that the pedicel has a crook neck with the little white flowers facing outwards. The ripe fruit are erect ("facing heaven")
Now let's consider the Jalapeno as a general representative of C. anuum var anuum. The leaves are dark green and glabrous. The flowers are large and the pedicel curves at the base and the flowers face downwards. The ripe fruit hang downwards.
Now. Chile Rayado. The plants resemble the Goat's Weed in the fuzzy stems and grey fuzzy leaves but are not stiffly erect (bad choice of adjectives with Tinkerbelle around :shocked:) like the Goat's Weed but has a more open branching habit like a typical anuum var anuum. Also Chile Rayado has typical anuum var anuum flowers.
Heat-wise it is more along the lines of anuum var glabriusculum - the very aggressive rasping heat similar to a C. frutescens.
So there you have it - my dissertation proving it is not a Jalapeno but a genuine heirloom cultivar that is most likely a very old Goat's Weed x Jalapeno selection.
I took a good look at my plants and fore sure does not look like Chilli Rayado. The fruits yes, but the plants are smooth.
I post some pictures.
The only conclusion I can arrive at is that the Chile Rayado is a very old cross between Goat's Weed and a Jalapeno of sorts that was stabilised way back when and has become an heirloom.

Let me explain. The Goat's Weed, apparently originating in Venezuela, was considered unique (before we were exposed to the Chile Rayado) for a Capsicum anuum in that it has fuzzy stems and grey fuzzy leaves. In the words of the late great Beth Boyd "it is a handsome plant". It is C. anuum var glabriusculum - typical wild anuum. If you've ever looked at a tepin or Bolivian Rainbow or Chile Rayado you will see that the pedicel has a crook neck with the little white flowers facing outwards. The ripe fruit are erect ("facing heaven")
Now let's consider the Jalapeno as a general representative of C. anuum var anuum. The leaves are dark green and glabrous. The flowers are large and the pedicel curves at the base and the flowers face downwards. The ripe fruit hang downwards.
Now. Chile Rayado. The plants resemble the Goat's Weed in the fuzzy stems and grey fuzzy leaves but are not stiffly erect (bad choice of adjectives with Tinkerbelle around :shocked:) like the Goat's Weed but has a more open branching habit like a typical anuum var anuum. Also Chile Rayado has typical anuum var anuum flowers.
Heat-wise it is more along the lines of anuum var glabriusculum - the very aggressive rasping heat similar to a C. frutescens.
So there you have it - my dissertation proving it is not a Jalapeno but a genuine heirloom cultivar that is most likely a very old Goat's Weed x Jalapeno selection.
My plants are smooth. This is something else. The fruits are like Chilli Rayado but the plants are not.
DSC_0419.JPG
DSC_0421.JPG

I took a good look at my plants and fore sure does not look like Chilli Rayado. The fruits yes, but the plants are smooth.
I post some pictures.

My plants are smooth. This is something else. The fruits are like Chilli Rayado but the plants are not.
DSC_0419.JPG
DSC_0421.JPG
Could we get a pic of the flower front & back? Thanks @ Linyera.

That looks like caterpillar damage to the leaves. Do the affect the pods?
As I do not use anything as far as pest controll I just live with some losses. My plants grow so much that I will have to lay the chainsaw in at the end of this season. The plants start breaking and dalling now after six years. I will cut them about 20 " above the ground an see what happens in the spring in September

As I do not use anything as far as pest controll I just live with some losses. My plants grow so much that I will have to lay the chainsaw in at the end of this season. The plants start breaking and dalling now after six years. I will cut them about 20 " above the ground an see what happens in the spring in September
Oh I forgot you grow pepper trees LOL. Envy 🙃 It gets pretty hard to save them when it gets down to the teens. I just heard that our area in Western NC has had 0 snow for a few years. WOW that's nice , I did live & work in Ohio in the 70s With real blizzards. Ugh!

That looks like caterpillar damage to the leaves. Do the affect the pods?
As I do not use anything as far as pest controll I just live with some losses. My plants grow so much that I will have to lay the chainsaw in at the end of this season. The plants start breaking and dalling now after six years. I will cut them about 20 " above the ground an see what happens in the spring in eptember
You can translate these into english. What a history this pepper has I like that.

Sure I can translate it. I have to force myself to sit down and do it. I do not like admin work.

As I do not use anything as far as pest controll I just live with some losses. My plants grow so much that I will have to lay the chainsaw in at the end of this season. The plants start breaking and dalling now after six years. I will cut them about 20 " above the ground an see what happens in the spring in eptember

Sure I can translate it. I have to force myself to sit down and do it. I do not like admin work.
I viewed them on YouTube, & chose english subtitles under settings.

Oh I forgot you grow pepper trees LOL. Envy 🙃 It gets pretty hard to save them when it gets down to the teens. I just heard that our area in Western NC has had 0 snow for a few years. WOW that's nice , I did live & work in Ohio in the 70s With real blizzards. Ugh!
Here we get snow sometimes, but it melts away in an hourr or two. Can get to freezing even. Normaly no deep freeze.
If the plants gets frozen a bit on top it will not kill them. The soil does not freeze. A good thick mulch keeps the roots an lower stems fine.

Please... ANNUUM. From the adjective derived from annus (year). Anuum, on the other hand, is derived from anus - luckily not from the chocolate factory - that would be a shitty capsicum - but from its meaning as "old woman" - imagine that, old women's weed! Linnaeus put it right next to nux vomica 🤡 (Species plantarum vol. 1 p188-189).

capsicumanus.png

Back