The Best Thing I Ever Ate

Hey y'all. Recently I had a conversation with a compadre of mine and the subject of Filipino style tocino (cured pork) came up. I recalled that years ago when I lived in Alaska, one of my best friends, Manolo, a Filipino, would make up a batch of this tasty pork goodness. Manolo's family prior to moving to Alaska, had a butcher shop where they would take pork butt and slice it thin and then add salt, sugar, water, red food coloring, and a few other spices that were never revealed to me. Manny would make up a big batch and let it cure for a few days. Once done, he'd invite me over for some grilling fun.

Traditionally, tocino is boiled until the fat is rendered or grilled and served with rice and or eggs for breakfast. We never did it like that. It was always a late night affair with me showing up with the evenings session beers and he supplying the meat and trimmings along with the grill heating up.

After curing, the meat is a bright red/fuschia with almost a phosphorescent glow to it. We'd slap that on the grill, being mindful of flare ups. You'd want some char and caramelization but well short of being burnt. Once the meat was cooked and it came off the grill, we'd add it to warm flour tortilla's schmeared with cream cheese, hoisin sauce and green onions. It was all a man could do to resist the temptation to finger food the meat straight into your mouth before hitting the tortilla. But lemme' 'splain y'all...OH MAH GAWD!

Thinking about it now, it falls into that category of...

THE BEST THING I EVER ATE

Since that conversation, I haven't been able to get the thought of that tocino out of my noggin. I have to get a fix so I'm off to the store for some pork butt. I'm not down with the thought of using artificial red food coloring (made from South American ground up beetles so I hear) so I'll have to come up with a substitute. Wait! I have achiote paste in my cupboard!

So what y'all got?

What was the best ANYTHING you ever ate? Pizza? Red beans & rice? Deep fried oysters? It doesn't necessarily have to be loaded with heat and certainly not confined to one style, region, or ethnicity.

Bring it!

Pics are welcome!

So many things....

Right of the top of my head, when we lived on Whidbey Island in the middle of Puget Sound, we used to do beach bakes.
Dig a pit, in the rocky beach, build a fire in it, after an hour or so, let the fire die, cover the coals with some sand, layer on kelp, clams, mussels, crab, oysters, fish, puppy seals, or whatever we could scurry up that day.

Well, one saturday morning, my buddy went out fishing in Holmes Harbor in his 15' Lund, with a 15 hp outbord, as he did almost every Saturday.
Usually he would come back with some Ling, or Rock Cod, Flounder maybe, or even Surf Perch.
Well this particular morning, he struck fisherman's GOLD.
He hooked a 145lb. HALIBUT!
now, I don't know if y'all know what a bad combination a 145lb Halibut, a 15' Lund, by himself, with no gun, is, but to make a long story short, he wasn't about to let it go. After he got it into his boat with his gaff hook :crazy: it broke both of his fishing poles, smashed everything in the boat, and almost sent him overboard, he got it hog-tied, and back into the water. 5 hours later, he towed it back home.

He called me when he got back, and I helped him deal with it. We went right back out, and in about an hour, we had about 20 legal Dungeness crabs in the boat.
We invited all our friends over for a MASSIVE beach bake, and it was definitely one of the best meals EVER.
I can still smell the food, fire, and salt air that evening.

Thats awesome Scovie.

Up in Alaska while guiding out of 18' Lowe backtrolling kings, a guest hooked up with a 45# buck. He reefed on the rod and the king went flying right into the dudes lap, busting his glasses, his rod, ripping the line off my fuel tank, and flopping forward right out of the boat again. Big fish & little boats = bad juju.

Ain't nuthin' like fresh fish cooked up over a fire along a beach or shoreline.

Something that comes to mind... fish that I caught in Thailand... brought to an "on the sand" eatery where it was prepared for me by the chef. Eating fish I caught... Thai style.. toes in sand... good company... damn. Can't beat it.

The best thing I ever ate was when I was in Negril Jamaica. My wife made reservations to a French restaurant for the night that was on the resort. I had lamb medallions with this amazing wine sauce that tasted like heaven. Lets just call it the best meal I ever ate because the desert was this little pink and white layered gelatin thing that I thought I wouldn't like. I tried it anyways obviously and it was the creamiest tastiest square of goodness I ever had in my entire life!!!!!!! I dream of the day I go back to Jamaica, for that restaurant if its still there and of course Jerk chicken and pork, and beef patties galore, the next best things I ever ate.

This is a great place for the stories, just like when we did the TD of this.

TB, that guy had a 45lb King land in his friggen lap? Holy S&%#*!$&@T!
He'll never forget that, and his buddies prolly won't ever even believe him LOL.!

I feel the same way you do about Vegas, but back in the day when the Rio was about a year old,
I had one of the three best steaks I've EVER had. A big 'ol Ribeye about an inch and a half thick,
coated in cracked pepper and garlic salt.
At the top floor of the Rio, at the VooDoo Lounge. God that thing was awesome.
Our table was right next to the floor to ceiling glass overlooking the strip. What a night.

Just got back with mrs. blues from In-N-Out Burger. Without a doubt the best fast food style burger I ever ate! I say fast food "style" because unlike real fast food ala BK or McD's, everything is fresh, never frozen, and they don't cook it until you order it.
A Double Double Animal Style will rock your world! Get some well done Animal Style Fries with griddled onions, melted cheese and INO Spread and you will see GOD!

I ain't lyin' y'all!!

Just got back with mrs. blues from In-N-Out Burger. Without a doubt the best fast food style burger I ever ate! I say fast food "style" because unlike real fast food ala BK or McD's, everything is fresh, never frozen, and they don't cook it until you order it.
A Double Double Animal Style will rock your world! Get some well done Animal Style Fries with griddled onions, melted cheese and INO Spread and you will see GOD!

I ain't lyin' y'all!!

This explains it... (if Wiki is correct lol)...

"There are currently 268 locations (as of January 2012) with no location more than one day's drive from a regional distribution center."

It's a national chain, run like a regional chain. They build ditro centers where they want to expand. Usually national is the nail in the coffin and everything is shipped in frozen and is garbage.

I'm surprised you went fast food in this topic though. Is it that good? Do you compare it to the best burgers you make at home, or at local joints? Or is this just a fast food comparison?

Fast food "style". Its a category of its own. Fast food ala BK & McD's where they pre-cook the "meat", use dehydrated onions, frozen fries, etc. Fast food style joints like INO are in the same realm but not really.

I think Shake Shack in NYC and Whataburger in Texas also meet those requirements as well although I believe they both use frozen fries. The meat and veggies though, always fresh.

Gator tail cut along each side of the tail and beat to hell with a meat mallet.Big long steak, six or seven inches by four or five inches wide. Make a cream-onion-garlic white wine sauce with bacon sauteed Poblanos. Take the beat thin 1/4-3/8 thick meat and "dust" it with cracker crumbs. Do NOT dredge it. Saute both sides in HOT bacon grease for about 40 seconds each side, dump on the sauce and eat it immediately. It turns to rubber when it cools.
Slaw or a Caesar salad makes a good side.

When gator was unavailable, I did it a few times veal cutlet double passed through a cuber..

I like Gator. On a stick. Wrapped in Bacon. Dunked in Ranch dressing.
NOT the best meal I ever ate tho, damm good.

There are so many places I could go with this one. Lobster steamed fresh at a roadside shack in Bar Harbor, ME, fresh raw oysters at Doc's Oyster House in Atlantic City, NJ, the 28oz NY Strip that I hand picked and watched them grill to a perfect MR in three minutes over a 1600F woodfire pit in Tampa, the Stripers I caught myself in the Chesapeake and pan fried 6 hrs later.... But, one of the best MEALS I ever had was with my buddy in teh big dry ditch. What a spread! All the booze and good times made it one of the most memorable meals of my life.

There are so many places I could go with this one. Lobster steamed fresh at a roadside shack in Bar Harbor, ME, fresh raw oysters at Doc's Oyster House in Atlantic City, NJ, the 28oz NY Strip that I hand picked and watched them grill to a perfect MR in three minutes over a 1600F woodfire pit in Tampa, the Stripers I caught myself in the Chesapeake and pan fried 6 hrs later.... But, one of the best MEALS I ever had was with my buddy in teh big dry ditch. What a spread! All the booze and good times made it one of the most memorable meals of my life.

Awww shucks man.

Themz wuz your fajita's.

I din doo nuffin'.

Special thanks and a shout out to Mr. Lee at Lee's Discount Liquors!

Yeah, you din doo nuffin' except ceviche, homemade guac and salsa, queso, and that awesome steelhead menuiere. Yeah, Mr. Lee deserves big thanks too. What a store.

Back