The Best Thing I Ever Ate

I heard Jay bought Montezuma.

No he's still ragging on me for the cheap Triple Sec I bought for making margaritas. They were out the "good" brand. I would never buy THAT cheap of tequila and I hate Mezcal. Back to the food, I sure could eat some of that ceviche again...

Boss, how come you have no sig.?

well, when I was in the Navy, there was this good looking nurse.................................................................................................

get your mind out of the gutter...

she made the best turnip greens, purple hull peas, cornbread, and fried pork chops I have ever had....pure ol' soul food...it's still my favorite meal today...

London (both meals)
prawn puri, garlic naan, chicken madras at a restaurant called Punjab, London's oldest Punjabi restaurant. Washed down with several Cobra beers.

St. John- everything was amazing, but I still dream about the bone marrow on toast with parsley salad

Its Fergus Henderson's restaurant in London, called St. John. Sorry I didn't make that more clear in my post.

http://www.stjohnrestaurant.com/more/fergus/

Henderson has been on the forefront of the movement of "nose to tail" eating for years now. I had to coax my new bride into agreeing to try it, but it was one of the all around best meals I've ever had.

Its Fergus Henderson's restaurant in London, called St. John. Sorry I didn't make that more clear in my post.

http://www.stjohnres...om/more/fergus/

Henderson has been on the forefront of the movement of "nose to tail" eating for years now. I had to coax my new bride into agreeing to try it, but it was one of the all around best meals I've ever had.

I believe Fergus was on Bourdain's No Reservations in an episode. He had much to say about how butchering of meat is becoming a lost trade. Very cool dude. I can only imagine what awesome meat dishes the guy can cook.

The Indian restaurant, Punjab, was so good we ended up eating there twice on our honeymoon. My wife had eaten there several times before when she was studying abroad. I ordered the chicken madras the first night and it was good. We went back our last night in London, which happened to be Thanksgiving. we were seated next to an older man who told us he's been eating there at least 3 times a week for over 20 years. got to talking about our love of all things spicy, and he explained to me that the chefs usually tone the dishes down because most diners can't handle the heat.
He called a waiter over, greeted him by name and said "bring my young American friend the same thing you bring me." Same chicken madras but on a whole different planet heat wise, and it was amazing. I think the added heat brough all the other flavors out of the dish. I spent the next hour or so sweating profusely, face flushed and sucking back Cobra beers as quickly as I could to keep the heat at bay....but God it was good. I have dreams about that food.

In regards to the thread starter and my post....

Filipino Pork Tocino!

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/31644-grilled-tocino/#entry641093

Another thread just reminded me.

The best Cuban sammich I ever eated.

Publix Market Deli.

Marathon, FL.

Better than Tony Montana's yeyo!

Bwahahahahaha. Publix?
The best things you ever ate are a fast food burger, and a supermarket Cuban. :rofl:

The best Cuban is on Collins they have them stacked up against the glass street-side and pop them in the press per order. Don't know the name of da place.

Bwahahahahaha. Publix?
The best things you ever ate are a fast food burger, and a supermarket Cuban. :rofl:

The best Cuban is on Collins they have them stacked up against the glass street-side and pop them in the press per order. Don't know the name of da place.

Think again ya damn yankee!

90 miles from Cuba.

Made by real Cubans.

Pre-made Cubans waiting for the press? They can go to HELL! :rofl:

And FWIW, the best burgers I ever ate are ones that I made.

I believe I referred to INO as one of if not the best fast food STYLE burgers I ever ate. Thomas Keller and Wolfie Puck, Tony Bourdain, Julia Child et.al., agree with me too!

I been to Publix. Winn Dixie an Piggly Wiggly too. Ain't nuttin 'bout dem sammies special. And the Cuban ain't from Cuba it be from Miami. Collins where it at.

I been to Publix. Winn Dixie an Piggly Wiggly too. Ain't nuttin 'bout dem sammies special. And the Cuban ain't from Cuba it be from Miami. Collins where it at.

I dunno'. Maybe it was the 1/4" thin pork steak they used or the bun.

For me on that day and everyday since, that was THE Cuban and I've eaten hundreds I reckon.

HAH! Yer'soooo busted for editing out the source of the Cuban in your last post.

Brought to Florida by Cubans Bucko! :rofl:

Hehehe!

Okay I'll try it. If down there.

I'm particular about my Cuban sandwiches. Gotta be real Cuban bread, fresh pernil NOT reheated on a flat top grill, ham, pickles, yellow mustard, NO GARLIC POWDER. Pressed.

And I don't believe wiki I think it originated in Miami, in its current form.

Bah!

Wiki is dubious at best.

I've seen variations such as the added garlic as well as the bread being anything to authentic Cuban to sourdough or Italian.

The main theme though is always roast pork, sometimes pulled sometimes not, ham, mustard, swiss, and pickles.

Some posers add tom and lettuce. Not a Cuban.

All this talk about sammich's makin' me hungry.

I want a Cuban.

No.

A reuben.

No Cuban dammit!

Fried bologny on white bread for you THP!! :rofl:

My pet peeve is they throw fresh, moist pernil on the fat top grill to heat it up before they press it, so the pork gets a greasy crust. Yuck. You really have to order a Cuban at a busy joint so the pernil is fresh. Like you said the pork is the main thing. But to me yeah it has ham, pickles, Swiss, yellow mustard and the bread has to be that Cuban bread... so good, and the Miami humidity keeps it soft with an ever-so-soft crust where in NY it would be more crusty.

Back