• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Boy's 14th Birthday Party

So it's a barbecue and grill celebration for the boy's 14th. The uncle wants to grill the wings with Louisiana hot sauce. Which seems like a tragedy to me. OK, the sauce will do in a very serious pinch. But when there is planning involved that's what he goes to? Whatever, his redneck ways are not as refined as my own. So, I'm doing the burgers. I have 30 pounds of grass fed beef. Not the kind you get from the store but the real kind. Straight from the farm. Good stuff. Very lean and juicy. The flavor of the meat mostly speaks for itself. Sure I could selfishly add my sauces and wow the crowd. But I thought I would save those for finishing sauces. Since the meat is so delicious on its own, I do not want to tamper with it too much. But since The Captain is grilling the burgers it seems necessary for me to leave a signature. Here are the choices before me. A very slight hint of the following.

1. Straight dehydrated ground Douglah's. Just a sprinkle. Just enough to let people know that fairy dust is up in the burgers.
2. Smoked Habs and then deydrated and ground. They were smoked with mango, apple and tangerine. The flavor is something else. I was thinking about convincing the uncle to use this dust on the wings.
3. Douglah's marinated in Coconut aminos and brown sugar. Then smoked with cherry wood. Then dehydrated. Powdered. It's like chocolate candy to be honest. Hot as hell and sweet as hell.
4. Delightful ghost powder with a few stragglers of sugar rush and trinidads, just freshly made.

I know not everyone is for heat. But that is not my concern. They are sinners.. I'm talking to fellow chileheads. Which sprinkle would you use before grilling the burgers?

Ooooo...Nice! A two-fer! The salt makes it hotter and more drunkery!

Yes, drunkery is a word! I just made it up and added to dictionary, its official!

Ashen said:
Squid cheese has returned. :)
IMG_7485.GIF

It really boils down to the audience/consumers in my opinion.Whom are you trying to please? Culinary prowess is one thing, but kids are another. I've made dishes that adults love, but the kids would rather have a PB&J sandwich...  Such as it is. I would strike for mass appeal even if it falls below personal liking. Offer options like others have said. The spicy folks know what's up, they will look for the sauce, peppers or powders.

Serious note and with all respect, sometimes it's not "what" you say, but the manner in which you "say" it. That's the reason for the chides here. Do choose your words carefully. Perhaps "I" am a redneck and would take offense. By some definitions certainly I am. I am not offended, but just use caution that in "here" are folks of all stripes. No need to walk eggshells, just be mindful that everything posted will be read to and fro.

Paraphrasing from memory, but a quote I hold dear - "A smart man knows what to say, but a wise man knows when and if to say it."
Perhaps I'm neither, I won't pretend otherwise.

At any rate, I believe your heart is in the right place. You can't see it but glass of "Pluff Mud Porter" hoisted. Cheers  :cheers:

WarrantMan said:
It really boils down to the audience/consumers in my opinion.Whom are you trying to please? Culinary prowess is one thing, but kids are another. I've made dishes that adults love, but the kids would rather have a PB&J sandwich...  Such as it is. I would strike for mass appeal even if it falls below personal liking. Offer options like others have said. The spicy folks know what's up, they will look for the sauce, peppers or powders.

Serious note and with all respect, sometimes it's not "what" you say, but the manner in which you "say" it. That's the reason for the chides here. Do choose your words carefully. Perhaps "I" am a redneck and would take offense. By some definitions certainly I am. I am not offended, but just use caution that in "here" are folks of all stripes. No need to walk eggshells, just be mindful that everything posted will be read to and fro.

Paraphrasing from memory, but a quote I hold dear - "A smart man knows what to say, but a wise man knows when and if to say it."
Perhaps I'm neither, I won't pretend otherwise.

At any rate, I believe your heart is in the right place. You can't see it but glass of "Pluff Mud Porter" hoisted. Cheers  :cheers:

I understand. To me, Redneck is not a derogatory term at all. I live in the south though. A city boy from the West Coast (Yo) living out in the country. And the boy's uncle is all Redneck. From fixin' stuff to ridin' dune buggies to muddin'. Lots of fun.

I think Salsalady is right. I'll just bring a few different shakes and give folks the options. Take care and have a wonderful day!

To me context is everything. You dissed his "redneck ways" because you are more "refined". Could care less if you use the word. But sounded again like one of your threads where you are better, is all. 

Give a big :bday: to the little guy for us and let us know how it goes.

The Hot Pepper said:
To me context is everything. You dissed his "redneck ways" because you are more "refined". Could care less if you use the word. But sounded again like one of your threads where you are better, is all. 

Give a big :bday: to the little guy for us and let us know how it goes.

Well, I would never drink Miller Light, especially from a can. So...yeah. I'm a more refined redneck. The party went well. All had a blast. The food was fantastic. My friends are awesome cooks too. Everyone brought a dish. It was great. Thanks all.

Back