• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The BUM is back for 2016

Hello Ladies and Germs it's good to be back.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to the following members who helped make this years grow possible, Sorry if I left anyone off

Fiogga
Scorched
Moruga welder
Romy6
GM
Silver surfer
Pic1
wayright
ignite
prodigal son
winland
jcw10tc
TC1010
chiltepin
Kingdenniz
Bluesman
smileyguy697
stc3248
mojo peppers
mpicante
Jamison
GIP
semillias
SL

Trident chilli said:
Very intresting on the mushroom theme .... this time of year in the UK we see the large field mushrooms which are great to eat ... totally agree that a little knowledge can be dangerous as eating the wrong species can be fatal

The Scotch Brain long was it an unintentional cross
The scotch brain long was from seeds romy6 sent me, he had grown the scotch brain and had a really bumpy long pheno express itself. Mine are not as bumpy as his were but the pods are much larger- and the plant is a monster. Pic taken today, 5 gal bucket for size reference. they taste just like the other proper SB pheno to me only not as hot. I will continue to grow them out along side the other pheno of Scotch Brain. I also crossed them with a really nice yellow BBG plant just for fun. 
20161016_125900.jpg

20161016_124648.jpg

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Very healthy mycelium there! Those mushrooms look delicious. Are you using straw as your substrate?
Thank you sir, and yes organic pasteurized straw. That variety pictured is Grey dove and they are excellent. I some really nice Italian oysters also popping right now I'll snap a pic of later they are my favorite of all the oysters. Cheers

Trident chilli said:
Well you and Romy6 have created a great hybrid of the ScotchBrain .. I am sure Greg - PIC1 would be impressed ... can't wait for your SB x Bubblegum crosses roll on 2017
Thanks John I'll send you a few iso scotch brain long seeds to grow out. it's a very nice pepper and a fun one to grow, hopefully the next generation keeps its shape.

I'm looking forward to the scotch-bubbles next season hopefully something fun pops up. I made the following crosses

Scotch brain x yellow bbg
Scotch brain x peachgum tiger
Scotch brain x peachgum tiger V2

Scotch brain long x yellow bbg

MOA x orangegum tiger
MOA x yellow bbg

TFM x orangegum tiger
TFM x yellow bbg
TFM x peachgum tiger V2

BAHA Goat x yellow bbg
BAHA Goat x orangegum tiger
BAHA Goat x peachgum tiger

The peachgum,orangegum,and peachgum V2 I used for pollinators were very dark purple plants with large calyx.

Cheers

tctenten said:
Do those straw bags continually produce mushrooms?  What is the length of harvest time?
You can get a few flushes from them with a little tlc. Meaning you can pick them and they will grow back 1-2 times more but usually smaller then the first picking.  Easy to do if you decide you wanna try your hand at growing them, it's a fun little project and they make a great risotto  ;)

Cheers 

Trident chilli said:
Gob smacked by those bonnet crosses I wish you success and tip my hat to you .... thank you also for the kind offer of some ScotchBrain Long seed ....
Thank you, I've seen your love for Scotch bonnets so I am glad I could help.  Cheers 

Very intrigued by the mushroom farm. Awesome pics.

Looks like you've been busy crossing. Some good ones.

Those are some huge pods and the plant as well. I'll be stepping up my ground plants next year. If they get half as big as that, I may need to rethink my spacing.

Congrats

PaulG said:
Just had time to check out the last two pages - awesome mushroom sequence.
Looks like you have it down pat!

Looking forward to browsing your grow log when I get another minute or two.

Thank you sir,all the best.
OCD Chilehead said:
Very intrigued by the mushroom farm. Awesome pics.
Looks like you've been busy crossing. Some good ones.
Those are some huge pods and the plant as well. I'll be stepping up my ground plants next year. If they get half as big as that, I may need to rethink my spacing.
Congrats
Thanks. It was a really good year for peppers here,with hot dry weather. I really think the solar mulch helped tremendously to get the plants where they are. Cheers

Grass Snake said:
Where should I buy mycelium if I wanted to start some Oysters?
Well if you know what your doing you can use a oyster mushroom purchased from the store to start. Or if you want to make it as easy as possible while your learning the ropes I would order from field and forest.com they have a great selection and the prices are very good.

Cheers

FreeportBum said:

Well if you know what your doing you can use a oyster mushroom purchased from the store to start. Or if you want to make it as easy as possible while your learning the ropes I would order from field and forest.com they have a great selection and the prices are very good.

Cheers
Already experimenting a little bit but yeah, definitely wanna get a jump start on something. Think finely shredded hardwood mulch will be suitable for oysters? As a landscaper I always have this stuff on hand, and often see some bags already full of mycelium. Peep my Glog http://thehotpepper.com/topic/59508-grass-snakes-2016-grow/?p=1374292

Back