• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The C.eximium Project

I wanted to start a separate Glog just for this project. Sorry Jamie, not photos yet.... :party:

I love wild Capsicum species, but C.eximium is one of my favorites. For 2014 I wanted to find as many C.eximium as I could and grow them all out.

My hope is to examine the flowers in detail, using a dissecting microscope. It is possible that I may also be able to get some DNA sequencing done, but that is not certain for now.

Here`s the list of what seeds I have so far. 

CAP 500
CAP 1491
CAP 1530
CGN 19198
CGN 21502
CGN 24332 (not buforum)
C.eximium from the UK (maybe CAP 500 or CGN 21502???)
C.eximium (www.semillas.de)
C.eximium from Bolivia (Tarija region)
C.eximium from Bolivia #2 (La Paz region)

The only one I don`t have that is rare, but found among some people in the chile community is CAP503. If you have this one please let me know. If you can share, I will endow you with dozens of seeds from all over the world  :P

C.eximium tomentosum has been redescribed as the new species C.eshbaughii and isn`t available. 

There are also 5 eximiums in the USDA database that are unavailable.

PI 645681 
Grif 15935
PI 596051
PI 596053
PI 596062

Nigel said:
 I actually killed all my lanceolatums and rhomboideums trying to remove helmets. 

Hi Nigel,

I'm sorry for you. Last month, i've lost my CGN 21502 like this way  :evil:  
Pffffft...  I am angry at not being able to release him without damaging it.....  

If you need, I still have ten C. rhomboideum's seeds from my harvest 2013. I can send them for you.
I love this wild pepper, with these yellow flowers delicately scented ! Once germinated, it grows very fast and is easy to grow and overwinter. 
It supports very well be cut when it becomes too high (mine was over 2 m.)

I wish you good luck with the others.

Hi Nigel sorry about the lost of your Lanceolatums and Rhoms, We need to come up with a better way to dehelmet the little ones, when I get a helmet head they are on their own as I will kill them if,  I so much as look at them cross eyed. I do mist them with a water and peroxide and hope for the best. :pray:  I can tell you everybody North East and South of Missouri better hold onto their hats, we had very  high winds  and A 45 degree drop in Temps luckily I got mine in on time. My Praets are doing well along with my galapagoens thankfully.  My Chacoense and 4 of my Buforum didn't make it Loesing the chacoense was bad enough, as I really wanted to grow a couple different varieties of it , but the real loose for me was the Buforums all 4 seeds were floater and so were the chacoense, but they were old and had been mishandled when I had moved, so I almost have a full list of wants in my wild list some like the Buforum will be a little hard to find and although the buform seeds came in a trade I would hate to ask the person again as they where gifted along with the other seeds I traded for, I don't need them right away now, so I will wait till fall and see who might have some for sell of trade. I would like to find some C. flexuosum maybe I will get lucky and some one might have some for sell, as its getting harder and harder to have something for trade that others do not and I don't have any contacts over seas so I'm up the creek there. I guess I should start introducing myself arround to see just who just pop up with a friendl smile.

Svetlana said:

Hi Nigel,

I'm sorry for you. Last month, i've lost my CGN 21502 like this way  :evil:  
Pffffft...  I am angry at not being able to release him without damaging it.....  

If you need, I still have ten C. rhomboideum's seeds from my harvest 2013. I can send them for you.
I love this wild pepper, with these yellow flowers delicately scented ! Once germinated, it grows very fast and is easy to grow and overwinter. 
It supports very well be cut when it becomes too high (mine was over 2 m.)

I wish you good luck with the others.

Thank you so much for the offer of rhomboideum seeds, that is very kind of you. I grew it last year and have saved seeds, plus I over-wintered my plants which are currently flowering! 

Argghh, losing CGN 21502 is a bad loss for your growing season! Hopefully we can both germinate a few more seeds!!!
wildseed57 said:
Hi Nigel sorry about the lost of your Lanceolatums and Rhoms, We need to come up with a better way to dehelmet the little ones, when I get a helmet head they are on their own as I will kill them if,  I so much as look at them cross eyed. I do mist them with a water and peroxide and hope for the best. :pray:  I can tell you everybody North East and South of Missouri better hold onto their hats, we had very  high winds  and A 45 degree drop in Temps luckily I got mine in on time. My Praets are doing well along with my galapagoens thankfully.  My Chacoense and 4 of my Buforum didn't make it Loesing the chacoense was bad enough, as I really wanted to grow a couple different varieties of it , but the real loose for me was the Buforums all 4 seeds were floater and so were the chacoense, but they were old and had been mishandled when I had moved, so I almost have a full list of wants in my wild list some like the Buforum will be a little hard to find and although the buform seeds came in a trade I would hate to ask the person again as they where gifted along with the other seeds I traded for, I don't need them right away now, so I will wait till fall and see who might have some for sell of trade. I would like to find some C. flexuosum maybe I will get lucky and some one might have some for sell, as its getting harder and harder to have something for trade that others do not and I don't have any contacts over seas so I'm up the creek there. I guess I should start introducing myself arround to see just who just pop up with a friendl smile.
Hi George. Yes, working on tiny seedlings needs some work! 

Were your C.buforum CGN 24332? That was given out by CGN as C.buforum in around 2009. Iturned out not to be buforum, but another form of C.eximium. C.buforum has black seeds, whereas the CGN seeds are straw coloured, like C.eximium. Currently, I do not know anyone who has the true C.buforum. 

Which varieties of C.chacoense were you growing? I have a small number of seeds for 3 or 4 different types and I`d be happy to send you a few.

As for C.flexuosum, well, a few folks in the USA are growing it this year. If their plants do well, maybe seeds will be available in the fall?

Hi Nigel, I guess the Buforum, I received were not Buforum as the seeds were tan. So I guess that other than losing a Eximium Sp. I didn't lose a rare Sp. like Buforum, so I'm not too disappointed over that. As for the the C. Chacoense Its wrote down as PI 639652-Grif 15050 Paraguay In my booklet But If you have a couple of seed you can spare I will take whatever you might have. I will keep my eyes open for when the Flexuosum shows up maybe I'll get lucky and get a few seeds of it. I'm keeping my eyes open for a Lanceolatum, and If Chris has good luck with his Cardenasii, I might be able to get a couple of seeds from it this fall.  I'm trying to get stocked up on the wilds as I plan to do a grow out on them next year and not grow any of the super hots for awhile.

Nigel said:
Thanks, I appreciate it very much!!! I should probably add my Rocopicas here, as well. 

I`ll leave this GLOG for C.eximium, Rocopica and C.cardenasii, but I have a number of other wilds doing well. I guess I`ll put these in my main GLOG. 

I'll post the one type of eximium I have growing and the rocopica. I plan to try to cross capsicum baccatum with capsicum eximium, and I'll post how that does here.

wow... some old post, but wow!

your project Nigel, that's pretty much exactly, what I'm doing this season.

My current plant-list:
cgn 24332 (eximium)
cap 1491 (eximium)
cgn 19198 (eximium)
ulupica from la paz (eximium)
wild pepper from bolivia (seems to be eximium)
cgn 20497 (cardenasii)
unnamed (c.cardenasii)
ulupica xl f3 (pubescens x eximium, looks very pube-like)

another "ulupica" just went into germination-box and cap 503-seeds are on the way atm.

And if there's still question about, what type of eximium the one sold by semillas is: it's pretty sure, that it's cgn 19198, since peter (semillas) mentioned this some time ago.

Back