• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The chemicals that give us the burn????

It may have been discussed before but i can't find it anywhere.

The burn that you receive from a type of chilli comes from Capsaicin and several related chemicals, collectively called capsaicinoids as we all know.

The burn you get from different varieties is different...

Example: Tabasco is an instant heat that gives you all it has to offer straight up, but Naga type chillis as we know can take up to a minute to fully develop the truly scary heat...and there are hundreds of others in between.....

Also from what i have heard and read, different chillis can affect you in different ways in regards to where the heat is felt the most.

So my question is: Do different varieties produce a different chemical structure to produce different heat????

I would say it does!! and has anyone ever broken down the struture to see what different chillis are doing???

Is this how extract is made???

Cheers

Good question!

I'd also like to know if different chillis burn in different ways, or is it just relative to their SHU's?

For instance, after stillmanz' party, I woke up in the middle of the night and I had pain radiating out from my lower intestine, and also a similar, probably related pain in my wrists.

Other times, just a hot mouth, and/or, er, after effects the next day.

I didn't do research about it but I compare it to what happens in pharmacology. First of all the different varieties may have different ratios of the various capsaicinoids. And then the "galenics", the way the substances are packed and set free may vary between the varieties. In pharmacology the same substance can be released quickly from standard pills and there are sustained release pills which slowly set free the substance for the whole day. Maybe variing cellular structures of different peppers have the same effect somehow?

I started a thread very similar to this this past January (08) and am very interested in this subject too. This all has to do with what I call the "perfect" burn....lips to down the throat. The idea is to mix different peppers that have the different capsaicinoids creating the different burns so there is an even burn all over...I am getting there with my chili....not quite there yet tho...

there is some information on a few peppers in the link...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=4139&highlight=dihydrocapsaicin

holy crap AJ, great info, im hitting the internet now to see what i can find out about my favorite hotties (intentionally ambiguous)

AlabamaJack said:
I started a thread very similar to this this past January (08) and am very interested in this subject too. This all has to do with what I call the "perfect" burn....lips to down the throat. The idea is to mix different peppers that have the different capsaicinoids creating the different burns so there is an even burn all over...I am getting there with my chili....not quite there yet tho...

there is some information on a few peppers in the link...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=4139&highlight=dihydrocapsaicin

It certainly works the mixture and just discovered 7pot with pimenta de neyde is awesome as a mixed powder and mixed pickle :mouthonfire:

Back