• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial The Comprehensive Guide to Over-Wintering

Ok. Well, #1 air pruning containers are pretty cheap. Its just about my "go to" container anyway. The fabric allows the root tips to grow through and become pruned by the air, creating a more fibrous root structure. No circling, more laterals, and very kind to transplanting come spring. If youre working with some good light, then be safe and go fabric.

So my plants have been inside my home for about 2 weeks now. I've watered them just once. I did prune them back before bringing in the house. Now they are starting to develop new growth on the main stalks.

Do I continue Pruning if need be?

Some leaves are turning brown and drying and crumbling. Does this mean they are dying or just ready to go dorment? Basically will dorment plants stay green or are they supposed to go brown eventually and have 100% leaf drop?

Just finished my 2012 setup last night, 15 pepper plants in total. Caribbean Red Habanero is now 2 years old and produced 13 pounds of pods this year, crazy.
Carribean
53588_521229781240545_811747181_o.jpg
177002_521229441240579_736069868_o.jpg
664523_521232797906910_1953436832_o.jpg
615808_521233041240219_1511278599_o.jpg

My overwintered bhut and tabasco plants seems to be doing well. The bhut started flowering, and I got excited and tried to pollinate with a q-tip. Over the past couple of days though the plant dropped the flowers and both of the plants have been dropping leaves that have been coming up. I am not concerned about the flower drop because the first set of flowers outside also dropped. But the dropping leaves have me a bit concerned that they are not getting enough of something. I've been trying to keep watering down as recommended, and am giving each plant a cup of water every 5-7 days. Is this enough?

So my plants have been inside my home for about 2 weeks now. I've watered them just once. I did prune them back before bringing in the house. Now they are starting to develop new growth on the main stalks.

Do I continue Pruning if need be?

Some leaves are turning brown and drying and crumbling. Does this mean they are dying or just ready to go dorment? Basically will dorment plants stay green or are they supposed to go brown eventually and have 100% leaf drop?
Once inside, I allow the plants to grow without pruning. So the plants that are showing new growth also have leaves that are dying?
My overwintered bhut and tabasco plants seems to be doing well. The bhut started flowering, and I got excited and tried to pollinate with a q-tip. Over the past couple of days though the plant dropped the flowers and both of the plants have been dropping leaves that have been coming up. I am not concerned about the flower drop because the first set of flowers outside also dropped. But the dropping leaves have me a bit concerned that they are not getting enough of something. I've been trying to keep watering down as recommended, and am giving each plant a cup of water every 5-7 days. Is this enough?
Dropping leaves mean one of three things. Too much root prune, not enough light, or not enough water. You said you are showing new growth right? To me it sounds like not enough water. Check your soil saturation. How is it?

They are pretty dry. I was continually warned to avoid overwatering, so I think I went overboard in the other direction. No harm done, this can be corrected easily.

Once inside, I allow the plants to grow without pruning. So the plants that are showing new growth also have leaves that are dying?
Dropping leaves mean one of three things. Too much root prune, not enough light, or not enough water. You said you are showing new growth right? To me it sounds like not enough water. Check your soil saturation. How is it?

what is the easiest way to check soil saturation? Is there a device or tool that you use? I'm not sure where I read this but if I remeber correctly we want the soil saturation to be around 20-25% during the over-winterization? I'm not sure how to know what my soil saturation is.

I have an electronic moisture meter. I'm not going to say it is totally useless, but my finger and my judgment are better.

Big Mike
Visit us Online: www.knot2worry.us

Very nice post. Here in nebraska we get our first freeze early. Our growing season is do short. How long does it take for pod production after you put them back out

The new growth was looking very leggy, so I trimmed it back. A week later, I have no leaves and the green woody stems are now brown. Did I kill my plant or just knock it into full dormancy?

Thanks for any help.

-Gerry

Back