• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial The Comprehensive Guide to Over-Wintering

spicy.curry said:
If there are some random warm sunny days in mid winter, bring the pots back outside? 

You can't just throw plants out willy-nilly once you've started the OW process.  They have to be hardened off again, just like a seedling.  Any new growth will have never experienced outdoor conditions, and most likely, won't fair very well.

spicy.curry said:
1.) What weather conditions mark the moment to end the outdoor season and bring the peppers indoors for the rest of winter?

2.) Does the daily high matter just as much as the low?    Last week here, we had a few nights with high 30's at night, 70s in the day, and the peppers plants seem as healthy as ever.

3.) Is it good to extend the outdoor season by bringing the plants indoors if a frost is expected, and then outdoors again the next day once it warms up
4.) If there are some random warm sunny days in mid winter, bring the pots back outside? 

5.) Is the "first frost date" in my area a good date to bring them indoors for good, or wait for the first actually forecasted frost?
1.) A hard freeze is a period of at least four consecutive hours of air temperatures that are below 28 degrees Fahrenheit (-2°C). Many plants can survive a brief frost, but very few can survive a hard freeze.

2.)In my experience lower than optimal daytime temps will cause pepper plants to "stagnate," i.e.-slow growth & fruit ripening.

3.) Yes

4.) This is very similar to 3.

5.) My experience in New England Zone 6a has been you can't set your gardening calendar by it! Additionally, I've noted that a high pressure area moves in and we get a few nights of frost followed by a low pressure area with warmer temps,....

Speaking of which, do you know yours? (USDA Hardiness Zone Map with ZIP Code finder )

Fantastic thread.

Central South Carolina

When I was a pepper growing n00b (way back in Early May lol ) I planted Jalapeno and Habanero pepper plants 3 to a container. The containers are about 2 feet tall and 22 inches across at the top. Maybe 30 gallons?

The plants have resisted all my efforts to kill them and have done fine producing a fair number of jalapenos and frankly more Habaneros than I know what to do with.

I want to try to overwinter them. The wife and I are empty nesters now and I have the ok from her to use one of the spare bedrooms for this project.

I've read thru this thread and i think I've got the gist of it, but I haven't seen this question asked.

Should I separate the plants into individual containers, either for overwintering purposes or just in general going forward?

Pics of habanero plants
3e816e001b7893c89b718bacf12a30fa.jpg
4525874010e33c3221f91f943bbacd6b.jpg

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

southcarolina said:
Fantastic thread.

Central South Carolina

When I was a pepper growing n00b (way back in Early May lol ) I planted Jalapeno and Habanero pepper plants 3 to a container. The containers are about 2 feet tall and 22 inches across at the top. Maybe 30 gallons?

The plants have resisted all my efforts to kill them and have done fine producing a fair number of jalapenos and frankly more Habaneros than I know what to do with.

I want to try to overwinter them. The wife and I are empty nesters now and I have the ok from her to use one of the spare bedrooms for this project.

I've read thru this thread and i think I've got the gist of it, but I haven't seen this question asked.

Should I separate the plants into individual containers, either for overwintering purposes or just in general going forward?
I have no experience with your exact circumstance but I have overwintered.

1I9TwZc.jpg

No I didn't overwinter it outside, Note it's in a 5 gal. pail with handle for easy transfer outside from the indoor growing area.

OK, questions.....

Can you easily move that 30 gal. container in and out of the home and then the room?
Will there be any issue with runoff when watering?
Unless there's an awfully large amount of sunlight streaming in you have a lighting plan?

_

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Can you easily move that 30 gal. container in and out of the home and then the room?
Will there be any issue with runoff when watering?
Unless there's an awfully large amount of sunlight streaming in you have a lighting plan?

_
Thanks for the response!

Yes I can move the containers in and out. They are heavy but not too heavy.

I have some plastic lids from rectangular containers I can use. I'm on the lookout for something better but in a pinch the rectangular lids should work.

There is a window in the room I am planning on using, although it is facing north. I plan on buying some sort of grow light to supplement the window in the next few days.

Thanks for the response!

Yes I can move the containers in and out. They are heavy but not too heavy.

I have some plastic lids from rectangular containers I can use. I'm on the lookout for something better but in a pinch the rectangular lids should work.

There is a window in the room I am planning on using, although it is facing north. I plan on buying some sort of grow light to supplement the window in the next few days.

Out of interest how did it go?

Out of interest how did it go?
I guess i would would rate my success as moderate

I overwintered a bell, a jalapeno and a habanero plant. I battled aphids a couple of times but for the most part the plants stayed pretty robust for most of the winter. Right towards the end of winter they all started to show a little stress, but they got to spring mostly intact.

Whenever there was a stretch of days with night time Temps above 45 or so I brought them outside. One benefit was that a lot of times when the Temps got warm it brought rain. So they got some nice fresh water. Everything seemed to be going fine.

Once the spring hit for real I brought them outside for good and...

Nothing.

They took forever to get started. They dropped leaves. They didn't blossom. Just nothing until well into June. And even once they got started their production was significantly less than last year. I would estimate I got half the amount of jalapenos and two thirds the amount of Habs. The bells have never been very productive, maybe 20 golf ball sized peppers both years combined.

I'm not going to bother with overwintering anything this year. The amount of work I put in for a head start that never materialized isn't worth it. Plus the room I used is currently occupied by a wayward child who returned home a couple of months ago with "no place else to go" lol

It was an interesting experiment. But I doubt I will ever try again. Last winter I also built myself a seed growing station and I will go that route from now on. *If* I ever tried overwintering again (and thats a huge if) I would go the cut down to the main V and force dormancy method versus trying to keep the plants alive.

I guess i would would rate my success as moderate

I overwintered a bell, a jalapeno and a habanero plant. I battled aphids a couple of times but for the most part the plants stayed pretty robust for most of the winter. Right towards the end of winter they all started to show a little stress, but they got to spring mostly intact.

Whenever there was a stretch of days with night time Temps above 45 or so I brought them outside. One benefit was that a lot of times when the Temps got warm it brought rain. So they got some nice fresh water. Everything seemed to be going fine.

Once the spring hit for real I brought them outside for good and...

Nothing.

They took forever to get started. They dropped leaves. They didn't blossom. Just nothing until well into June. And even once they got started their production was significantly less than last year. I would estimate I got half the amount of jalapenos and two thirds the amount of Habs. The bells have never been very productive, maybe 20 golf ball sized peppers both years combined.

I'm not going to bother with overwintering anything this year. The amount of work I put in for a head start that never materialized isn't worth it. Plus the room I used is currently occupied by a wayward child who returned home a couple of months ago with "no place else to go" lol

It was an interesting experiment. But I doubt I will ever try again. Last winter I also built myself a seed growing station and I will go that route from now on. *If* I ever tried overwintering again (and thats a huge if) I would go the cut down to the main V and force dormancy method versus trying to keep the plants alive.

Very interesting thank you for the response.

I've three that I plan to over winter as they were started way too late and I'd like something from them after gifting/eating others I had outside.

Purchased as c.annums although I doubt it, I've had potential thrip issues on one and thrown that back outside. It'll thrive or die of its own accord in a quiet corner.

Had them inside for just over three weeks or so now as the weather threatened cold night time temps yet the sunshine and temps back up today.

I think the one that's outside will give me a good idea of where the limits at for future seasons.

Thankfully the warm spell has confused some ladybugs and I've managed to capture four to introduce inside which I wasn't expecting in October.

I've been toying with keeping them going yet your attempt doesn't fill me with confidence so a little more research needed.

The glogs from Panama seemed to suggest perpetual harvest was an option in ideal conditions.

Torn between leaving them and dropping temp/light versus cutting back to the v.

I'm sure I'll work something out it's a long time before they'll be going out.

For many growers alike, the growing season starts at the seed. Its an all too familiar feeling; the smell of the seeds as we sort through them, looking for the "one" that will morph into the towering giant of our dreams, acquiring the perfect soil mix, temperatures, and saturation. Its one of the most addicting parts of our season in this culture. This time of the year is when we have that "fire" inside that burns and screams "This year, will be the year. The year where I will make everything right, and learn from all the mistakes made in the previous years." Think of it as a grower's right-to-passage, if you will. Even I myself, will admit that I thoroughly enjoy witnessing all my love and work break the top of the soil in the form of hooks, spread their baby wings, reach for the warmth of the sun and grow into beautiful young plants. There is something very enlightening about watching this whole event take place. This is one of the most primal processes of earth. Its nature's way - organic, raw and very special.

While seeds will always remain at the beginning of our culture and passion for growing, there are a great many cultivators, including myself, that have also begun to experience the benefit of taking things to the next level. Knowing your plants at the fundamental level is something that is often times over looked as prerequisite for growing a crop each year. Most people just do what they know and what works for them, without ever really knowing the plants themselves and/or why their habits produce certain results. Sometimes old habits die hard and your product suffers because if it. Sometimes we skate by on the fly and have an extended period of time I like to call "beginners luck." Then we learn, we progress, and we become educated through experience that builds up over time.

This plant we all love, just so happens to belong in a class of plants called "perennials," which directly translates to "through - year". What does that mean? It simply means, that if kept in the right conditions, pepper plants will continue to grow forever. Unlike another classes of plants i.e. Annuals and Biennials, peppers will continue to grow and flower simultaneously throughout all parts of the year regardless of photo period change. This is good news for us gardeners! Instead of cultivating "within the box" of the status quot and treating them as annuals, the enlightened grower can begin to expand his knowledge and base of experience.

One such way to honor our work and research of these beautiful plants is through "Over Wintering". If you're in a climate where the temperature rarely drops to or below freezing then this won't directly apply to you. For all the other grower's, I say stop letting your hard work go to waste each winter! Start Over Wintering! If you have the space, time, desire to extend your season and like the sound of getting one hell of a head start on next year, then this is for you. The benefits of starting to include this practice in your repertoire, far outweigh the cons of choosing not to. All you're doing is allowing the plant to continue to live just the way nature intended. Since I have started overwintering, I can attest to the garden mojo that occurs each year. The energy is better, the plants become huge and pump out hordes of pods, the experience is much more rewarding. The plants thank me for it, the bugs thank me for it, reptiles, birds...so on and so forth. Everyone's happier :) What's not to love about that?

"So how do I experience this magical world of plant-human symbiosis," you say? Its simple. In just a few easy steps, one can ascend to the next level of garden zen. Here we go:

Choose your plant. I chose a small first year plant for the purpose of the tutorial. All you will need is a container, pruning shears, and a shovel.

6251077654_6b4153a3f9_b.jpg

Start by pruning back most of the foliage to the main branches that formed as the plant grew. You will want to start with a rough trim at this point. A more detailed pruning will be in order depending on how much root system you remove during transplant.
6250550717_4805b3d5ae_b.jpg

up close example of initial pruning on a plant this size going into a three gallon container
6250550837_0dbea23d0e_b.jpg

Here is a time lapse of the Fatalii Mother cutback. Enjoy while I add more to this.

Next we will add a little Guru mix to our container. You can use any medium you prefer.
6250550933_3321ab69f1_b.jpg

Example of how much root system would be ideal for a cutback like this going into three gallon.
6251078076_61a0f0bf37_b.jpg

Add a little soil to top off the container and pack lightly
6251078184_4020c45ac3_b.jpg

Detailed prune to remove any remaining flower or fruiting tops. This will promote new top growth at different nodes.
6250551251_b50c545665_b.jpg

After a good watering in, I like to set them in a place that has diffuse sunlight for a while, so as not to induce shock.
6251078380_8252710868_b.jpg

Under the back deck works great for me.
6251078456_5970048cdc_b.jpg

October in Atlanta is usually still a great time for pod production and the days remain fairly warm enough to get some substantial harvests. I can take my time over the next few weeks getting things prepared for winter, but for those of you in crunch time, I made sure to get this out sooner than later.

You see, over wintering can be a multiphase process depending on how you want to do things. Are you going to bring them in under lights immediately or leave them outside in their new containers for a a while? If you're lights are strong enough indoors then by all means, bring em in. For you the hauling around containers is over. For those of us confident in our temps for the next few weeks outside, our journey will continue a bit longer outdoors. We get more sun :) To be continued...
Guru--found your tutorial especially helpful. embarking today on only my 2nd attempt at overwintering my superchilis here in zone 5 of northeast ohio. realized a couple of errors I made 1st time. goal is for dormant plants til spring. last time i removed all dirt from root ball and then placed in medium..wrong-i now think. several questions..1) should any foliage remain if goal is dormancy? 2)if not and severely pruned-is any light necessary for success? 3) basement vs detached garage? basement-50-60 degrees-ambient light...garage-40-60 degrees--no light..4) what to expect over winter--any growth? how should the plant look? 5) fertilizer? i did last time--not sure I should have 6) watering? Was really disappointed this past spring when none of 11 plants came back after some effort...hopeful to do it right this time with better luck. soberdude

Thanks much for sharing your knowledge. I'm attempting to over-winter a pepper for the first time. The info will be a great help. Cheers!

I'm going to try something different this season.

1686135319957.png

1686135429531.png

In late fall I cut them back, water them & put them in the cool damp basement for a long winter nap.
Then in early spring when the buds start to swell I take them outside on nice warm days & back in again for the night.

I have an idea. Why not take summer cuttings & pot them in 6 inch pots? Over winter these light weight pots instead of buckets.
It takes 2 hands to hump these pots in & out every day, when you could carry 2 6" pots with your 2 hands instead.

It's my 71 year old back that needs a break. In winter your back is stiff anyway, & taking these large now watered buckets in & out
is too much like work LOL.

Anyone else make cuttings & pot them in small pots to over winter?
I don't know why I did not think of this earlier. :think:

I put my OWs into small pots, trimmed the roots with a pair of scissors, cut the plant back really hard topside and put them in the greenhouse.
Once spring started I potted the ones I wanted to keep into bigger pots, the others I wasn't so fond left them where they were and they're all doing fine :D

I put my OWs into small pots, trimmed the roots with a pair of scissors, cut the plant back really hard topside and put them in the greenhouse.
Once spring started I potted the ones I wanted to keep into bigger pots, the others I wasn't so fond left them where they were and they're all doing fine :D
So you trim roots & tops from ground grown plants then repot for winter?
I have always grown from seed, planted in containers then over wintered.

What is the survival percentage for plants dug & repotted, over plants over wintered in their own pots I wonder?

So you trim roots & tops from ground grown plants then repot for winter?
I have always grown from seed, planted in containers then over wintered.
yep that's about it.
I started with about 14 plants and 10 survived - I didn't read up on how to do it before I started, they had light and warmth (when the sun shone) and withstood freezing temps in a very rickety greenhouse - no watering until temps warmed up in Spring, I'm still not sure whether it's better to over-winter or start seeds afresh in Spring - it's an ongoing experiment :lol:

Just found this thread, so I couldn't think of a more appropriate place to post some pics of my Thai, Kusburnu, and Azteco plants coming out of hibernation. A bit like myself, really 😅. Just have to wait and see what happens now 🤞.

Attachments

• IMG_20240208_071413_319.jpg
    IMG_20240208_071413_319.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240208_071152_964.jpg
    IMG_20240208_071152_964.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240208_071052_185.jpg
    IMG_20240208_071052_185.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 22
my super hots didn't like my cold garage during last winter... it was a insulated garage (separate from the main house) but no central heating. Next year ill bring them in the house or take a clone?

Back