food =[ the failures ]=

Great thread topic. My contribution to failed recipes is Kimchi and white rice. That combination tastes like Shit.

I made a really simple and pretty tasty recipe a couple of weeks ago for some ground beef and kimchi fried rice. It was very good and we all ate it up.
bibimBap.jpg

http://www.kingsasian.com/bibimBap.html

Last week I tried to save time and tossed the rest of the kimchi into some steamed rice hoping for a quick snack. That crap went in the garbage.

Ok, Jeff, I love the story, but in the spirit of the thread, from now on, I think we need only pics of the disasters, no the ones that worked. :lol:

ok, ok, ok ... so, the other night ...

D used a technique that was such an aesthetic failure, that she couldn't stomach eating the same thing after making mine ...

here's what happened ...

B37457C1-2EC2-40BD-949E-16FADC98BB6F-3414-00000D1A5BA0E899_zpsab840d38.jpg

she made some hella tasty baked onion soup home fries ... but she tried to scramble eggs INTO the large chunks, and the egg coat tightened up and the potatoes busted through like The Hulk ...

rooster make-up ...

7D15A88A-C7E8-44FA-BFFC-04168DDB5B2B-3414-00000D1A57B4BE1A_zpscce69193.jpg

ever increasing ...

26810D99-F235-49B7-B25F-5FC94FE4300F-3414-00000D1A53E667B4_zps53a87de9.jpg

not the best meal evar ;) ... still totally appreciate the effort, though!

♪♫ "Bring it on down to Veganville!" ♪♫

Was just the sauce alone from TJ, or the whole meal with noodles, chicken and all? It looks like something you'd get from a campbell's soup can.

Photos of microwaved pizza and corn dogs coming this evening.....

I CAN'T believe I'm in Norfolk....where the seafood is amazing and the she-crab soup is worth killing for.....and I'm stuck in purgatory.

Oh sure, the dude is stuck with hot pockets and you're rubbing in how wonderful the fresh seafood is there that he can not have.... Real classy there JHP :P

"chow"
[font=Lucida Grande']This term for food is a clipping of the older [/font]chow-chow[font=Lucida Grande'], a Chinese-English pidgin word of unknown origin meaning food or, in particular, a mixture or medley of foodstuffs.[/font]
[font=Lucida Grande']In 1857, the Viscountess Falkland, wife of the governor of Bombay, published a journal of her stay in India titled [/font]Chow-Chow[font=Lucida Grande']. The following January, the [/font]Bombay Quarterly Review [font=Lucida Grande']summed up the use of the term nicely in a review of her book:[/font]
The word chow-chow is suggestive, especially to the Indian reader, of a mixture of things, “good, bad, and indifferent,” of sweet little oranges and bits of bamboo stick, slices of sugar-cane and rinds of unripe fruit, all concocted together, and made upon the whole into a very tolerable confection…
By 1886 it was being clipped to simply chow.
[font=Lucida Grande']The name of the breed of dog appears as early as 1886 and is probably unrelated to the word for food. The name of the dog comes from the Chinese word for dog, kou (or gou in Pinyin). While apparently unrelated to the word for food, there is the possibility that the word for food comes from the mistaken belief that the Chinese used them as a source of meat, much like our hot dog gets its name from the jocular belief that sausages contained dog meat.[/font]
Just sayin...

Chow mein's etymological origin is actually 炒面 (chǎomiàn), which means "fried (wheat) noodles" in Chinese. Nothing quite so interesting as appears here. :rofl:

Here it is....in all it's glory......I shall call this "THE FINAL FAIL":

Here in a hotel room at NS Norfolk....with nothing more than a couple boxes of incredibly nasty processed food and a bottle of *sigh* Tabasco* sauce....here is the final meal before I go full into my training:

The hotel was nice enough to give me a paper plate (but no napkins). Unfortunately, I've had to use the SAME PLATE (and my last napkin) for 8 days:

IMG_4784_zps5e3317c2.jpg

Here are the ingredients for my feast:

IMG_4785_zpsaf90ac88.jpg

-STEP ONE: Liberate the corndogs and pizza from their cardboard cocoons:

IMG_4786_zps1d3e4d12.jpg

-STEP TWO:

Slice the......er....corn dogs open to accomodate the Dorito stuffing:

IMG_4787_zpsb31c8511.jpg

-STEP THREE: Place unseasoned pizza between two microwave heat trays in hopes it will fake an oven-baked crust.....and shove corndogs in old, used Hot-Pocket sleeves........microwave for 3 minutes:

IMG_4788_zps2d6ad1d0.jpg

-STEP FOUR: Plate the "food" on the backside of nasty plate and take pictures:

IMG_4789_zpsbb44afa4.jpg

IMG_4790_zps8e719af2.jpg

IMG_4790_zps8e719af2.jpg

-STEP FIVE: Take one bite....spit it out....and promptly toss entire meal in the trash:

IMG_4793_zps6497f901.jpg

-STEP SIX: Go out on balcony and enjoy a cold beer and watch the sun go down....

IMG_4798_zps535ee7cd.jpg

......good thing I have Chips Ahoy and milk. ;)

PEACE OUT!

PK's a hero amongst men and has gifted us ... "Non sibi sed patriae" ...

I'd probably eat most any of those things individually #truth ...

Best wishes and thanks!

Oh sure, the dude is stuck with hot pockets and you're rubbing in how wonderful the fresh seafood is there that he can not have.... Real classy there JHP :P
Yep, super classy. I'd walk to places to eat the seafood there, in fact one of my top 3 sushi places is there! Thread jack alert!

549360_4303400347601_1295493566_n.jpg

225271_4303332745911_873680981_n.jpg

P2K, man I feel sorry for you having to even look at the meal you prepared! I'll be there this weekend, not helping you now however.

Back