• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Fluorescent Grow Challange...

If I may...

How many of you WON Science fairs in school?
I never did, and I could guarantee back then that this would not fascinate me, well here I am... fascinated.

Just wanted to point out a little irony in my world.

....Carry on...

I have never won anything like a "Science Fair" in my life...but i hope this may be a first time for me!! Theres a first time for everything they say! :)

If I may...How many of you WON Science fairs in school?I never did, and I could guarantee back then that this would not fascinate me, well here I am... fascinated.Just wanted to point out a little irony in my world.....Carry on...
actually......I did...8th grade.....AND...(oh my, I just remembered this) it was for a sprouts demonstration! I had a display of alfalfa sprouts at various stages of germination.

I still remember how begrudging the principal was to give first place to me. I was a bit of a...shall we say..."a thorn in his side" in 7th and 8th grades.

And in all honesty, it really wasn't much of a science fair for those who excel at science. It was more like "every student must make a science project and display it at the Science and Arts Fair".

Aw well, it was worth it seeing the principal have to give me first place. :flamethrower:

Ok I soaked cubes in water with ph adjusted to 6.0 for 2 hours. Then put the cubes in the try on heat pad set to 80F and dropped in the seeds. Six in rockwool and six in oasis cubes. Put on a dome and wait to see how many pop.
DSC_8487.jpg

DSC_8489.jpg

Nice froggy... do ya find the horticubes seem to go slower in the beginning... I do but maybe it's just me... I will be putting a couple in some so we'll see. They do produce a pretty shade of green though...
001-6.jpg

3 seeds have cracked/germed... man that was fast just a lil over 48 hours...

008-5.jpg

I went to the hydro store to get a bottle of Ph down, and while I was there right before my eyes are the liter air pots, he finally got them in, and not a day too soon, epically after checking my challenge seed.

005-3.jpg

So I took a Brazilian Starfish that needed to go into dirt, and put in in the airpot... awww ain't it cute?

006-5.jpg

I like how the bigger ones are working out, and they also had some a lil bigger than a 5 gallon bucket. I'll probably plant up 2 challenge seeds into airpots, one in a plain plastic pot, and one in a DWC since I'm not too experienced in Hydro, i don't wanna risk more than one. Now it has officially begun... :beer:

Hey SS I guess I haven’t noticed one being slower than the other. But now I will be looking to see if that’s the case. The oasis cube I have to plant out sooner as the root start showing. As soon as I start seeing root on the outsides and bottom I plant them out. I will be putting a few in soil and a few in hydro. May be in water farms or aero system have to see what happens.

There fast lil SOB's 7 outta 10 for me, probably more since I looked earlier. Since it will be only four to grow, I think I will put one in a pot, and put it out with the others and see how it fares... it will be 45 days or so til first frost, maybe even longer... :dance:

3 seeds have cracked/germed... man that was fast just a lil over 48 hours...

008-5.jpg

I went to the hydro store to get a bottle of Ph down, and while I was there right before my eyes are the liter air pots, he finally got them in, and not a day too soon, epically after checking my challenge seed.

005-3.jpg

So I took a Brazilian Starfish that needed to go into dirt, and put in in the airpot... awww ain't it cute?

006-5.jpg

I like how the bigger ones are working out, and they also had some a lil bigger than a 5 gallon bucket. I'll probably plant up 2 challenge seeds into airpots, one in a plain plastic pot, and one in a DWC since I'm not too experienced in Hydro, i don't wanna risk more than one. Now it has officially begun... :beer:

Update... 6 sprouted now, and 5 in soil, one in a horticube. Eventually I will start 2 in horticubes and pick one for the DWC bucket...

Got all 4 of my seeds popped and they're working their way into little tiny sprouts

There fast lil SOB's 7 outta 10 for me, probably more since I looked earlier. Since it will be only four to grow, I think I will put one in a pot, and put it out with the others and see how it fares... it will be 45 days or so til first frost, maybe even longer... :dance:

Dang guys! Slow Down! lol I know Im only 18 hours behind you all but Im all excited now! Im gonna be looking all night long now...thanks a lot~! :lol: Fast little guys...4 days flat? Eager little guys aren't they?!

Ok, I'm running a little behind but here are the starting pics. I was late getting started on sunday and the seeds didn't get set up until 7 at night but they didn't seem to mind after all. The second pic is my setup of lights (and the plants I am overwintering) for now. I will modify it a little more when I get some time. Third pic is the lights I am using not including the main light which is a 150w (eq) 6500k cfl. Fourth is tonights pic of a couple sprouts. You can't quite see it but there are at least 2 more just barely peeking out, so it shouldn't be long before I get actual plants. This should be fun!

PB060355.jpg

PB090362.jpg

PB090364.jpg

hmm not really clear but the first are 6500k 100w 1450 lumens (x2), the second is 2700k 150w 2720 lumens and the third is 2700k 100w 1650lumens (x2). I'm using 5 lights plus the main overhead. Question; do the lumens and watts add up giving me 550w and 8920 lumens?

PB090363.jpg

Yep there going to be quick remember it had them listed as 56 days from transplant for peppers. Most of mine have sprouted there hooks too.
DSC06682.jpg

DSC06681.jpg

DSC06683.jpg

With these it should be no problem seeing changes every 5 days for the pics.

OF1 clean your nails...I have some vermin in my box... yeah not that kind, i am hoping a lil of this won't cure...
003-3.jpg

So once it's douched out, I'm ready, plants are given away or put outside.... Clean slate so to speak... I now have 8 of 10 germed... I cut a tray in half to save room and fit on the tray for bottom watering. Since I'm not growing hunderds and the strong will survive thing, I like to make a dent and use a cover fill to let me know when a spot is planted... closest bucket was Coir. If i was standing a lil to the other side, it would have been vermiculite.
004-7.jpg

9/10...

007-1.jpg

:hell:

Ya SS you caught me, I had been digging and planting before I took these. Filled 2 outdoor seed boxes with garden soil and seeded them with 38 red flowered horse chestnut. They will germ once the weather warms in spring after chilling all winter. Just had time to wash hands take pics then off to parent teacher conf then here to post the pics.

Update....

Not much going on here yet...above the surface anyway ;)...I know just out of sight things are starting to happen...Lets wait and see...Day 4

IMAG0827.jpg

had one tail sticking out and by the time I got the seeds into the soil the tail was in the bowl. Don't know if it will survive, but I put the seeds into the potting soil, on top of a muffin tin, on top of the marble hot plate as I couldn't find the hot plate with the adjustible temp.

Have pics, will post tomorrow-

Just had time to wash hands take pics then off to parent teacher conf then here to post the pics.
Must be something in the water this year. I've been to two parent/teacher conf already! lol My five year old is having a time adjusting to social/school life. Poor little guy. He's so smart but wants to make his friends laugh I guess. He's been getting into a little trouble over the past couple of weeks. :( Kindergarten isn't how it used to be! :lol: How old is your kid OneFoul? Or are you the the teacher?

Back