• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Fluorescent Grow Challange...

UPDATE...

Just got them potted up into 5" pots...We shall see how they respond...

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

To Be Continued....

Sorry for the delay all... I kept forgettin the cam in the wife's truck... Anyway heres the update pics, better late than never I suppose.
004-9.jpg

All 4 have buds but the 2 still can't seem to shake the yellow :?: Same everything... I still have 2 in the original small starter tray , and there noticeably smaller...
003-6.jpg

:beer:

Sorry for the delay all... I kept forgettin the cam in the wife's truck... Anyway heres the update pics, better late than never I suppose.
004-9.jpg
All 4 have buds but the 2 still can't seem to shake the yellow :?: Same everything... I still have 2 in the original small starter tray , and there noticeably smaller...
003-6.jpg
:beer:
Wow, nice, Those plants can speak for themselves..........."They're Talking a Good Show"

Greg

Awesome plants Tupperware! Mine are still tiny. I just bought a 85W (300W equivalent) CFL off of Amazon for $16.95 and got free shipping on it. I'm going to put a few plants under it and see if the growth accelerates a lot. Photos to follow shortly.

Here's where my plants are at today. I moved my best challenge plant (upper left), my smallest challenge plant (bottom right) a red trinidad scorpion, a bhut indian carbon and a small scorpion under the 85W CFL; the other two challenge plants are under the 32W Fluoro lights. I'm going to see if the added light gets them to grow a lot faster. I put some aluminum foil around the fixture to try and concentrate the light onto the plants. On a side note, that ab roller that has been sitting around gathering dust for a few years is finally getting some use ;) If anyone has used a similar strength CFL, does it provide enough light to keep blossoms from dropping from a mature plant? If so, how many mature plants could one CFL that size accomodate?

IMG_7285.jpg

IMG_7281.jpg

IMG_7288.jpg

Good looking plants guys! Makes me feel purty good seeing my plants the same size as s.s. tupperware's plants. Just my flowers are a bit more developed. Its weird though cause im not using an air pot. Maybe it is all the lighting I have?

I just have one 6 bulb 4 ft t-8. It grows them well, I have more red to keep my plants a lil more compact since i don't have a huge area probably 12 sq feet. What lights are you using? Mine are maybe 5-6 in from the bulb. I am going to start figuring out what i am going to plant next year. I have a couple water bed heaters i will make into a heat bed for seeds. i guess I will build a box outta wood, fill with play sand and bury the heater in the sand. Probably make a foam box to go around it. :beer:

I love this thread. Given the inverse square law and how close you can get CFLs to the plant I think they have/will surpass HID lighting. Couple that with the lifespan, lower capital costs and lower heat I think they are the best choice for the hobbyist. I can't wait to see what set up the winners have and the first fruits.

This thread will prove how good your plants can get.

So, my update, late as usual hehe. Nowhere near as big or bushy as SS or ggm but I'm happy with them.

PC150374.jpg

my set up for the 4 biggest

PC150375.jpg

The leftovers

PC150376.jpg

The setup for the rest of the plants, whats left of them after being treated for aphids. On the bright side, I think I have mostly taken care of the problem. I just bought the center flourescent, its a 40w t5, I have to redo my lighting eventually.

PC150378.jpg

Lastly, a close up of devils tongue from seed from spongey (thanks again) in the white cups, naga morich (right), devils tongue (center) and ghost pepper (left) from the pods sent from the ebay guy I had an issue with.

PC150377-1.jpg

and Im also growing garlic in the hopes of fending off aphids.. it might work :-)

I just have one 6 bulb 4 ft t-8. It grows them well, I have more red to keep my plants a lil more compact since i don't have a huge area probably 12 sq feet. What lights are you using? Mine are maybe 5-6 in from the bulb. I am going to start figuring out what i am going to plant next year. I have a couple water bed heaters i will make into a heat bed for seeds. i guess I will build a box outta wood, fill with play sand and bury the heater in the sand. Probably make a foam box to go around it. :beer:

I am running 6 CFL lights with about a half-half mix of 2700k and 6500k spectrums. My total wattage is 150 real watts inside a pretty small grow box. I have my challenge plants right under a 2700k CFL which promotes flowering so maybe that is why? Im not sure. I also have a brain strain in there in a cheap dwc bucket which is growing way faster than I expected. Going to have pods all winter :)

Quick safety tip from "spark-ette"-

That's a good idea to wrap the bulb and socket in foil or with a pie tin to get more reflection. That will also trap heat around the base of the lamp and socket. I'd suggest poking a few holes in the foil to let the heat escape and avoid overheating the bulbs and sockets. You won't loose much, if anything, in reflection, but the added air flow will be a "very good thing" for safety.

And the plants are looking nice and healthy. I don't kow why mine didn't even get past phase 1, but it's all part of the fun.

SL: Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely going to poke some holes in that tin foil. I guess it would be a good thing to confine the fire to the peppers, and not share it with the house!

Well It has been crazy for me and my peppers the last ten days or so. I have been gone for long hrs and twice for 48 hrs at a time and I had another pepperhead mouse lurking in my house. Dam cat I have tries to eat the birds and leaves the mouse alone. It was another Deer mouse that I finally caught in a trap. Anyways it over a several night period mowed the leaves off one hydro plant and half of the other hydro plant before moving on and eating every single unless I missed one of my Manzano pepper pods. That being said I took pics of the plants tonight and am happy to see them rebounding with new growth. I do not think I will have pods by the 6th of next month but with luck I may get flower buds still.
DSC06941.jpg

DSC06942.jpg

DSC06943.jpg

The first pic is about 4 days after this pic I am adding now showing what was left after the feast by the mouse.
DSC06909.jpg

Well that sucks... I'll get a pic up in a lil while... cam is charging.... I might have an open flower this morn, yesterday sure was close. The ones with a lil yellow have shook it for the most part... There lookin good.

Back