• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The General Taco thread. All things taco.

So, I've been wandering around the site trying to find a general taco thread. I'm sure it exists but the only thing I ran across was taco tuesdays and tex mex. I have tacos whenever I can. To hell with Tuesdays! So this is a thread to post your badass tacos. Recipe or not. Just put up a pic. All tacos welcome.

My dinner
slow cooked, dry rubbed, and smoked pork shoulder shredded and built with some of Salsa Lady's Chipotle BBQ!

bestia said:
2hwduo3.jpg

I just Face-Planted my computer screen.

I would fold that styrofoam plate in half, and eat that whole shizzz like a taco. 

(my doctor told me to eat more roughage. THAT would be the plate :rofl: )

I appreciate a man that keeps a clean kitchen and 'specially the stove top.

I see a spoon holder.

Beans done right.

Puerco too.

The homemade tort's look like they have a nice chew and thickness to them.

That's some for true hot blue and righteousnessessess!

Probably due to you bein' Texan n' all.

Chingon!

texas blues said:

Tortilla press or did you rollem' out with a pin?
Just a tapered French style rolling pin.  Thats why they come out with thick and thin spots and funny shaped goodness.  I have ALOT of respect for the people who can roll out nice round tortillas, I am not one of them.  As long as they are big enough to hold what I want to put in them, I'm happy.  Which is the nice part about hand rolling them... I make different size tortillas (from the same recipe) for different meals.  It all depends on what's going in them.  

I don't always make my own tortillas, but when I do, I use a tapered French pin.  :P

13655680135_f0fea276e2_b.jpg

And I hear you on that, TC. Making them nice and round is tough. Usually it's the very last one of a 12 batch that comes out the closest for me.

Dang, TC, I want that for breakfast now!

The only times I've seen perfectly round ones has been when they were made by machine. Heck, even at Ninfa's (Mex food place in Houston) they had a machine that first dropped balls of dough onto a flat surface then another flat surface came down and pressed them - no human intervention other than loading the dough into it in the first place. The place was always packed, so watching the tortilla machine used to help spend the time while waiting for a table….

geeme said:
Dang, TC, I want that for breakfast now!

The only times I've seen perfectly round ones has been when they were made by machine. Heck, even at Ninfa's (Mex food place in Houston) they had a machine that first dropped balls of dough onto a flat surface then another flat surface came down and pressed them - no human intervention other than loading the dough into it in the first place. The place was always packed, so watching the tortilla machine used to help spend the time while waiting for a table.
IMO Ninfa's tortillas are too small. I like to cram a bunch of beans, rice, beef fajita meat (with their "Durango" topping), pico and their red sauce in a tortilla. There is never enough room though :-(

The Count said:
IMO Ninfa's tortillas are too small. I like to cram a bunch of beans, rice, beef fajita meat (with their "Durango" topping), pico and their red sauce in a tortilla. There is never enough room though :-(
I hear you, but I'm ok with the size Ninfa's makes them, as I can't eat all that much, anyway. I usually don't even bother with the rice. That said, I'd love to have a Ninfa's or a Pappasito's or a Gringo's up here. I definitely miss all the good eating in Tejas. 

Summer, how about I fly you up here the week before my next swim meet? I'll take at least 10 of those a day, thank you very much! 

geeme said:
Summer, how about I fly you up here the week before my next swim meet? I'll take at least 10 of those a day, thank you very much! 

That would cut into my flippy floppy tan line schedule. No can do. Gotta keep my priorities crooked.  ;)

Sum those torts look pretty firm.

Why double 'em up?

Usually see that on taco trucks and cheapass tex-mex joints but not always.

I reckon there are a couple reasons they do it as a) saves lame torts from crumbling and b) it fills you up more.

Nice toasted on a flat top or comal and they hold a shit-ton(official SoFlo measurement) of ingred's without falling apart.

Or maybe you just like your tacos doubled up?

Is that splooge Valentina or SFMG?

texas blues said:
Sum those torts look pretty firm.

Why double 'em up?

Usually see that on taco trucks and cheapass tex-mex joints but not always.

I reckon there are a couple reasons they do it as a) saves lame torts from crumbling and b) it fills you up more.

Nice toasted on a flat top or comal and they hold a shit-ton(official SoFlo measurement) of ingred's without falling apart.

Or maybe you just like your tacos doubled up?

Is that splooge Valentina or SFMG?

I melt cheese between the two tortilla layers. Usually pepperjack. So these could be considered quesadillas folded into tacos. I do it like this to avoid the occasional taco blowout.

This last one was splooged with Tapatio. Had to get that Mexican flavor for Cinco de Mayo weekend turned on. You know how we do.

SumOfMyBits said:
That would cut into my flippy floppy tan line schedule. No can do. Gotta keep my priorities crooked.  ;)
 You can tan here while you're not cooking…. you just have to be made of sterner stuff. It's cooler here, so you don't get all hot and sweaty while tanning. You might get goosebumps, for true, but they go away once you come inside the house…..  ;)

SumOfMyBits said:

I melt cheese between the two tortilla layers. Usually pepperjack. So these could be considered quesadillas folded into tacos. I do it like this to avoid the occasional taco blowout.

This last one was splooged with Tapatio. Had to get that Mexican flavor for Cinco de Mayo weekend turned on. You know how we do.

SoFlo Sofa King brilliant!

Back