• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying The "Good Eats" dehydrator??

Directions:

1 I cut them in half or even quarters so the flesh is open and dries out faster and more even.
2 Place them on a cookie sheet that has parchment paper on it in only one layer.
3 I dry peppers at 200F degrees.
4 Keep an eye on them and remove those that are dry as need be so they don`t burn.
5 It can take 1-3 hours.
6 You can crush them to make flakes or grind them to make a chili powder.
7 Use a coffee grinder or food processor once they are cooled. And grind to flakes or powder.
8 Store in a glass jar out of sunlight.

Big fan of Altons, but this one missed the mark IMO....I have used this method 4-5 times to make jerky and the results are ok. Alot of maintenance is involved, each time I have tried changing it up to make it work better but never really got there....I dont see any reason why this would not work with peppers, but i would not based on my experiance. There are some small cons that Alton fails to mention

Pulling jerky...(or peppers) off of filter some of the filter fibers are stuck to the jerky
ALOT longer than traditional drying methods--3-4 days or longer depending on outside temps
Drying is inconsistant (ones closeset to fan blade dry faster than ones on outer filter so every day or so you will need to rotate, front to back)

I'm sure this one is my fault but:
Call me crazy, but I try to get the most bang for my buck so I filled filters completly full, end to end. When I did this the center seemed to get dry but the ones around the edge not so much so there was some rotating of jerky peices involved

Probably wont have this problem with peppers but when i did jerky, placing the wet jerky in the filter just saturated the filter and it became kinda weak when stood upright, the filter would not keep its shape under the weight of the meat, and i had to set the fan on its back between two saw horses.

Last winter, I tried this one final time, my mother in law had a dehydrator that quit working, she was gonna throw out the trays and I thought hey I could use those.  So I loaded them up with stawberries and bananas and hooked them up to the fan.  I had this in my garage, according to Alton cold is what we want.  Probably around 45 degrees in my garage during dehydrating.  Took about a week and a half and they never really got dried, more like fruit rollup consistancy. Bananas were on verge of rotting, or looking very unhappy, and getting them unstuck from the dehydrator trays was a chore, the results were not good at all and I threw out everything

My Final Conclusion:
If you are only doing small quantiies and all product is placed near the center of the fan only, and not using more than just a couple filters than this will probably work ok
Temprature needs to be at least 70 degrees
Filters are not reuseable and are not as cheap as you would think....My wife finally bought me a dehydrator this year for my birthday.

If it were me I would search craigslist for a used dehydrator or use BSPH method listed above, Altons method seems great on TV and it does work (in a pinch), but man the patience and effort involved is a real pain.

i would love to but my wife would kill me if i did this
between her coughing and gagging she would be strangling me :surprised: :lol:

LOL
yes 200 degrees would be perfect with a little babysitting
thanks your friend Joe

I feel like if your gonna stick with this hobby even for a season or 2 you need a decent dehydrator. They are pretty cheap. A nice square nesco is like $60

Pepperjack91 said:
"I hope its not saturated.."

As humorous as it was at first, that actually tuned out to be a good video
Alton Brown is who got me into cooking honestly. His videos are humorous, yet very informative. I have never tried a recipe for his that I did not like.
I guess a dehydrator would be a good investment. They are not expensive, and would be good to keep around the house. My biggest concern is that the peppers are going to ruin the shelves so I wouldn't be able to use them later on for fruits or jerky. I have no proof of this, but I hear a lot of horror stories about blenders and spice grinders being the devils playground once a few reapers get in there, lol 

Tim Vader said:
Alton Brown is who got me into cooking honestly. His videos are humorous, yet very informative. I have never tried a recipe for his that I did not like.I guess a dehydrator would be a good investment. They are not expensive, and would be good to keep around the house. My biggest concern is that the peppers are going to ruin the shelves so I wouldn't be able to use them later on for fruits or jerky. I have no proof of this, but I hear a lot of horror stories about blenders and spice grinders being the devils playground once a few reapers get in there, lol
I don't think you will have to worry about it ruining the shelves. With the spice grinders you got powder getting thrown into every nook and cranny of the machine. Probably impossible to get it all out ya know

Tim Vader said:
What about a blender?

My wife has a $500 vitamix that I'd rather not ruin, haha

Ive never had a problem. If you have a dishwasher your fine. A blender can always be run with soapy water as well. The dry grinders are the problem but once again they are a few dollars.

Tim Vader said:
What about a blender?

My wife has a $500 vitamix that I'd rather not ruin, haha

I've used my ninja to make a mash, hand washed it and then immediately used it for a fruit smoothie.. 

Pepperjack91 said:

I've used my ninja to make a mash, hand washed it and then immediately used it for a fruit smoothie.. 

Ninja here as well, awesome blender for the $. I can't see a $500 blender but I'm sure they are sick.

Yeah it's wonderful. Idk if we have the same model, but i've noticed that if I put mine in the dishwasher that it will get water and food particles into the handle. So I don't put it in the dishwasher.. But if you rinse it out immediately after you use it hand washing is no biggie. That is the only complaint I could possibly come up with.

PrimeTime said:

Ninja here as well, awesome blender for the $. I can't see a $500 blender but I'm sure they are sick.
I do not get it at all honestly. The $20 one I had worked great, then she went on a juice kick and HAD to get this $500 thing. Its blends just like the other one. Maybe I just don't blend enough, lol

Back