• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

I tried the galap this afternoon. Was quite a lot hotter then expected, and in a way juicer (even though its full of seeds). When punctured the juice escapes and pod sort of turns to nothing..its very berry like i guess? Oh and the pod came off at the caylax, the whole stalk didnt come off which is odd to me. The skin is quite tough. Was quite a good tasting pod. No hints of sweetness. Just a nice savory taste which is what i prefer. I got 6 good sized seeds out of the pod. Surprised that many seeds somehow crammed in there!
image_zpshbojaks3.jpg

I also tried the pod off the mutant plant pictured previously. Its way up there all right...

I tried it about 15 mins after a choc bhut and the mutant was way hotter. Twice as painful at least. I tried the galap, followed by the choc bhut, followed by the mutant jonah. It had probably the most delayed heat profile i have ever tasted. Tasted like nothing at the start, zero heat, thought it was a dud. But no its got some serious pain in there..will be growing it again for sure.
It and the BP3 are my hottest plants so far I think.
image_zpskjxjoeoc.jpg

heres the choc bhut i tried..looks pretty gnarly but it aint got nothing on the mutant thing.
image_zpszwwpw6uc.jpg

and because i thought they looked so nice...a few baby plants enjoying the dampness :)
image_zpswphrm9jx.jpg

Dang them are some healthy looking plants.Do those live outside or are they just getting some sun?

This year I am going to try some of the air pruning pots that Daltons sell.Might start all my plants off in the 3L plus 2 or 3 50L

Swampy_NZ said:
Dang them are some healthy looking plants.Do those live outside or are they just getting some sun?
This year I am going to try some of the air pruning pots that Daltons sell.Might start all my plants off in the 3L plus 2 or 3 50L
they live outside, as do all my plants :)
how much are those pots?

Hey fellas, I can vouch for air pots, in my experience they work well in maximizing fine root growth, however it makes life a bit differcult to water without wasting alot of nutes/water out the sides. my tips are to use stockings over the top of the pot (prevents medium floating away)and tie it shut around the plants trunk and fully submerge in a premade nute bath then follow up by pooring a couple of litres of nutes/water over the top to prevent salt build-ups etc then let them completely dry out before repeating, or to just simply invert a big drink bottle full of ya nute mix tied to the stem/trunk with large pipe cleaners or twist ties and allow it to very slowly drip out. Time consuming but worth it imo depending on pot size and number of plants. side by side with same sized normal pot- the air pot performed better every time. if somebody has a easier technique please share! lol

nzchili said:
That pod looks like a ripper. Almost looks like its going to go yellow. Any ripe pods off that plant yet?
Yeah,plenty of red ones off that plant.This plants pheno is cool.Most of the pods are like those,more long and rectangle like compared to round.Got some really big narly ones ripening now

I did some harvesting today. 1.182kgs all up. Pretty stoked. Sauce making tomorrow. I have 20 125ml bottles, have my pH strips, sticky labels, all set. Making sauce in the back yard on a small barby as last time I stunk out the house with chilli fumes. The wife wasn't impressed.

2015_03_20_17_32_34.jpg

Heaviest pod: 17g choc fatalii:
2015_03_20_17_50_01.jpg

One of my Naga Morichs came out spiky, very weird, so I'm separating the seeds and will try and grow it out, maybe I'll get a spiky pepper to grow.
2015_03_20_18_11_48.jpg

Nice haul.You probably have the same bottles as me.I got 20 125 mls from Arthur Holmes.:0
Just picked 1.3 kgs of Choc nagas and still have hundreds ripening.Going to make a blackberry and Choc Naga sauce

Haha, well, i really didn't expect this to stick but here you go..
and the prize for the stupidest cross goes to me!?
C Galap x brown moruga appears to have stuck...(not my not so hot brown moruga, another one i have)
image_zpsozozrkys.jpg

They appear to cross quite easily..i did two flowers and both appear to have stuck..
No luck on the annum x chinense yet though.

It is official.....i had the hottest pod of the season yesterday afternoon with Sentencedtoburn....it was insane and the only pod to cause me to eventually vomit.  The stomach burn was incredible....seeds are from Paul Smith....the first pod from my first time grow of the Chocolate Brazilian Ghost.

Whoohoo my aquaponics is all setup. The crayfish went in this afternoon. Now I just gotta be careful with the water levels, will probably switch to checking them twice a week for now to make sure nothing craps out.

Only 1 chilli plant is there at the moment, still 3 more to come, just waiting for more seedlings to come through so I can choose the best pairs for my soil vs aquaponics comparison grow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39XHo0WOaD0

SentencedToBurn said:
Whoohoo my aquaponics is all setup. The crayfish went in this afternoon. Now I just gotta be careful with the water levels, will probably switch to checking them twice a week for now to make sure nothing craps out.

Only 1 chilli plant is there at the moment, still 3 more to come, just waiting for more seedlings to come through so I can choose the best pairs for my soil vs aquaponics comparison grow.

Nice!
Good luck with it. Be interested to see the soil versus aquaponics outcome.

I've been lurking these forums for a while now, so figured I'd finally sign up and say hi :)

First time growing chillis (growing anything actually, unless you count the venus fly trap I had as a kid but that died after I fed it sprayed flies)

Currently have these plants in my little green house, grown from seed purchased on TradeMe. Left it a little late in the season I think - seeds only germinated in the first week of Dec.

4 trinidad scorpions
9 bhut jolokias
8 jalapenos
5 birds eye

Photo from a couple of weeks ago - the scorpions have been planted in the grey tubs and have taken off, probably twice the size now, and loaded with flowers. Will update this post with a newer photo later today.
Edit: Ok, new pic from this afternoon
10987464_10153799284274832_9095488240808864740_n.jpg

Discovered ants farming aphids on the smaller of my scorpion plants yesterday. @#$%

11084619_789461604455677_1095316865_n.jpg

Anyway, hi! I'm sure I'll pester you with some stupid questions at some point :)

Back