• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

The Idiot's (Mis)Guide to Hot Sauce

First shot at a hot sauce.  Like them thick/chunky (that's what she said!) 
If this part of the hobby sticks, maybe there will be more to post in this thread. 

Hot sauce always was my chili pepper siren's song.  Would like to start jamming on my own.  All suggestions welcome! 

Tentative recipes and protocols gleaned from THP.  Will use standard foodsafe precautions and guidelines.  Time to dust off the old All American.  Need a dedicated blender, mebbe a food mill (Santa!). 

The red peppers from Scorched will be turned into an AJ-style puree.

The non-red peppers from Scorched will go into a fruity hot sauce.
Recipe plagairized freely from THP. 

I humbly present for your consideration:  

“Idiot Island”

4+ cups pineapple juice
1/2 cup minced shallot or onion
8 garlic cloves
2 cups mango
2 cups white peaches
2 tsp salt
2 pounds peppers (35% yellow fatali, 50% white habs, 10% peach bhuts, 5% choc. Bhuts)
2+ cup rice vinegar  (to pH 4)
1/2 tsp ginger powder or a piece of fresh ginger about the size of a quarter in diameter and ½ inch thick
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Chop, blend, boil, simmer, blend, fill, cap, PC. 

Possible other ingredients: mustard, curry powder, cumin, chili powder, und,und,und?

Nice choice of ingredients. I would suggest either adding some other vinegar as well with a lower ph or even going with lemon and or lime (juice and zest) just to help bring down your ph a couple points more.
Although if it's a good as it sounds like it's going to be, it will disappear before it can go bad :party:

I'm by no means a pro at it and am still trying to find the right combination myself but bringing together pineapple, mango, and peaches is an awesome start.

My AU$0.02,

I'd add fresh pineapple and not juice (packaged juice will contain additives) if you like your sauces thick. Or just juice a fresh pineapple if you want juice.

I'd roast the onions/shallots seeing as you're going for a sweet sauce here. Unroasted, the tang could become overpowering.

F.I.F.Y - Chop, boil, blend, check pH and adjust if necessary, simmer for 30 minutes, fill, cap, invert.

Cumin is a great addition BUT, don't add too much as it easily overpowers.

I'd add any spices in 1/4 tsp increments so you don't over do anything. Taste test often.

Why add Chilli powder? You already have fresh on hand. I'd only add powder if it was smoked, to add more complexity.

I'd add orange juice to aid in lowering the pH, orange will continue the sweet theme here.

That's a lot of fairly hot peppers, sure you want to use that many? You could tone it down some by adding Bell peppers or something like Aconcagua's to retain the color.

Rice vinegar is a good choice as it won't be so noticeable. I use white wine vinegar which is also less noticeable.

When using fruit and/or sugar in a sauce (and especially when using both) make sure that the end consistency is thinner/more fluid than you are aiming for. As the sugars in the sauce cool, including those contained in any fruit, the sauce will thicken resulting in a sauce that could be too thick.

I use only fresh ingredients in my sauces, but that's just me. Feel free to experiment as you wish, in the end as long as you are happy with the results, that's all that matters.

Have fun, and post pics.

SR.

Back