• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Krakens 2015-2016 Glog

*The Krakens 2015-2016 GLOG - Updated 12th of February 2016 ... Even More GREAT Peppers Added !!! 

In the process of beginning my 2015 - 2016 grow here in Australia.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~*~ BIG THANKS TO  ~*~

Scorched, jcw10TC,  MisterBigglesworth, frank225 & LindbergF 
.....Thanks for your wonderful seed's .. I'll keep you posted !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*******   MY GROW LIST HAS GONE SO UP IN SMOKE I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO KEEP THE LIST UP   *******
Lots of super hots and lots of unusual crosses... Along with some crossing projects of my own and some base varieties..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where the babies were popped

My home made seedling incubator.... :P

This is my makeshift propagation unit that's in my shed.. In case your wondering I purchased a standard 6 shelf adjustable metal shelving unit for $60, painted the MDF shelves in matte white paint ( to help with waterproofing and light reflection) .. I obtained some office fluro double tube light T8 units from a renovation at my work with 5000k 32 watt globes in each slot. and set 4x of them up under each shelf above. I then spaced the shelves at varying heights to allow for different plant progressions and left the top section with no lights as I use it to propagate seeds. 

The whole thing is surrounded by a big plastic bag I got from a sofa I purchased and I cut open one side and using another sheet of plastic made a flap to cover the front.

In summer I need to keep the flap open or it gets to hot but in winter its just perfect... I get a steady 35 degrees Celsius on the top propagation shelf and a steady drop down to 20-25 degree's at the bottom..

I can fit plants about 4 inches tall from the pot on the second shelf, 6 inches on the third and about 12 on the fourth and 20 on the bottom, I run them on a 16 on 8 off timer and put a fan on them every few days... and from there, I cycle them out to my small hothouse that gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight and 6 hours of reflected a day. This sits at a cosy 35-40 degrees in summer and 15-20 in winter generally.

****** Photo's and more info to come...*******

I have just planted a whole heap more crosses and varieties... I plan on going through them all over the next few days and locking in my current grow list.. It just keeps exploding out further and further, thanks a lot in part to the great members of THP who share the love .. It's much appreciated..

One of this years TKP special crosses .. Most pods have a lovely long horn like tail protruding from a smaller bulbous base.. Have yet to smash a few pods down but a taste test of a piece of one had a real nice burn, very all over tongue burn with no throat or roof of mouth..

TKP Special Cross: 'Red Rhino'

​Realised I probably didn't put the 'Best' pod that made me think of Rhino when I codenamed this thing,  About 40% look like this and 40% look like the pod bellow, the rest didn't make it either way..

TKP Special Cross: 'Red Rhino'

jcw10tc said:
Lot of interesting looking pods you have.  Looks like a good season for you.

So far its been a hard run.. Had bad germination results on certain varieties, then I had a bad run with early on aphids.. A few really hot days and really wet days destroyed a lot of plants.. Stuck to about 30-40 big pots and about 150 smaller ones.. Made some good mixes for next season and had a few nice results from this season. About to get my harvest on soon, and see the final results of a few mixes that are yet to ripen up... Got a few random lovely's ..

I got the Jonah II's off you didn't I ???  If so I ended up with a Red and chocolate variety from the same seed batch ?? What results did you have ?

Heres a freshly plucked Cross.. The Snub Nose Bhut  x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1 .. Really nice shaped pod, huge full length placenta through out, awesome burn and taste.. Pod well over a million scovilles + I find it hard to tell after that heat ..

Nice and oily still but with the lighter less pungent flavour of the barrackpore, the bhut lifts the flavor up.. The placenta is a lot whiter then a typical 7 Pot, more like its other parent. as seen below ..

Here's some of my new Ripe Aji Jobitos, these pods seem to be slightly elongated compared to the first ripe pod hat was very round.

Flavour was much better on these larger riper pods, very mild and sweet, thick and crunchy with no heat

A hand full of Buena Mulata's

First ripe 7 Pot Jonah II Chocolates

Jase4224 said:
Just wandering what potting mix your using?

Amazing pods btw.. jealous lol

Thanks, hopefully the REAL great pods will be ripe soon to post...

I use a mix of about 70% Miracle Grow pemium potting mix - 20% mushroom compost - and 10% chicken manure compost ... all bag stuff.. I mix some blood and bone and a little Epsom Salts .. Probably a little strong for the smaller plants but once they adjust they love it. This season was a bit rough weather wise plants got hammered.

Not sure if your following his GLOG but Scorched has the BEST pods I have seen on this forum and or anywhere.. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53615-scorched-2015-grow/page-5

KrakenPeppers said:

Thanks, hopefully the REAL great pods will be ripe soon to post...

I use a mix of about 70% Miracle Grow pemium potting mix - 20% mushroom compost - and 10% chicken manure compost ... all bag stuff.. I mix some blood and bone and a little Epsom Salts .. Probably a little strong for the smaller plants but once they adjust they love it. This season was a bit rough weather wise plants got hammered.

Not sure if your following his GLOG but Scorched has the BEST pods I have seen on this forum and or anywhere.. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53615-scorched-2015-grow/page-5
Awesome thanks, I just wanted to know cos I'm is Oz too and want to know proven mixes for next years grow that are available for me to purchase.

You don't mention perlite or anything like that so how do you find drainage with that mixture?

Thanks I will definitely checkout Scorched's glog

Jase4224 said:
Awesome thanks, I just wanted to know cos I'm is Oz too and want to know proven mixes for next years grow that are available for me to purchase.

You don't mention perlite or anything like that so how do you find drainage with that mixture?

Thanks I will definitely checkout Scorched's glog
I use perlite early on with straight premium potty mix in the seedling to first small pot but in larger pots I don't bother.. but I find that in Vic the weather is so extreme that having too much drainage or too much water retaining is a deadly idea.. I find the mushroom compost adds enough water hold and the premium mix is very good at staying loose ..

Cheaper potting mixes really clumped up but the miracle grow seemed to maintain well..

BAAAHHHHH GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr... I hate Victorian weather .. Just had the worste winds yesterday, pots and plants down everywhere damaged plants and pods ..

Definetly need a few pot size upgrades and next year my plants are going on the ground ...

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely try out your mix for myself. I can buy the miracle grow premium potting mix at Bunnings, I'm still at the 'seeing what works' stage.

Sorry to hear about the weather damage.

Jase4224 said:
Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely try out your mix for myself. I can buy the miracle grow premium potting mix at Bunnings, I'm still at the 'seeing what works' stage.

Sorry to hear about the weather damage.

I tried a lot of the different bagged mixes from Bunnings.  I still found the Premium Miracle Grow the best bagged product.. If the weathers hot and your using pots put some good pine bark mulch on top or sugar cane mulch to help stop water evaporation...

I thought of mulch actually, gonna try 'CCC' mulch (Corn,Conola, Chicken) it's meant to feed as well as keep in the moisture. Also thought of wrapping my pots with some heshen so keep the sun off the pots so they don't get so frigen hot!

One more Q.. what brand of mushroom compost do you use? Sorry to hijack your thread, my last two seasons have been crap lol

Great pods Kraken!   Do you happen to know the parenting of the snub nose bhut?  

I have two different plants reporting to be red bhut, one is a wicked gnarly deep red pod with a stupidly hot heat profile and the other looks a lot like your snub nose x, lighter in colour and less gnarly.  Guessing habanero and standard bhut?  The snub nose is bang on for flavour and heat for me, I have been smoking a bunch of them with apple wood and dehydrating them over the last couple of weeks.  

I have no idea.. It actually came from a batch of Peach Bhut seed that grew true apart from the one plant, that plant turned out to be a mutant and had 3-4-5 cotyledons on each flower, as well as having twin pods etc.. All the initial pods we're freaks and once it calmed down the Snub Nose as what was left ... Tastes like a Bhut has the skin of a Bhut.. Just has a more Hab shape

Last year all the pods grew fairly small , this year there's a few double sized pods, should be ripe soon ...

So not sure if it's a cross or a mutant gene .. Early in my glog you can see some of the pics ..

If guess carrot Hab x Peach Bhut if it is a cross

Here's a Link to the pepper ID thread I posted..
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53156-mutant-plants-peach-bhut-jolokia/?fromsearch=1

Back