• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Ok.... Here is a slice.

image.jpeg

Flavor was there, but I had my measurements off a bit. Roman pie is potato, sausage, pepperoni, onions and mozzarella.

I boiled the potatoes too long and I did not get even distribution on the sausage and pepperoni when I mixed it. The crust held up great and was not soggy.

Have to admit, that makes sense ... interesting ...

Danielle has a lot of trouble w/ red sauce destroying her stomach, which is why we don't pizza too often these days, and she likes mustard (it's her only condiment) ...

Hmm ...

I bet she'd like it w/ some sliced bratwurst, lol ...

I definitely had too much potato relative to the other ingredients. The wife thought the flavor was very good and very similar to what we have had in the pizzeria. The daughter basically wants just potato and mozzarella. I think it would have been great with some hot peppers in there too, but then no one else would have eaten it.

tctenten said:
I definitely had too much potato relative to the other ingredients. The wife thought the flavor was very good and very similar to what we have had in the pizzeria. The daughter basically wants just potato and mozzarella. I think it would have been great with some hot peppers in there too, but then no one else would have eaten it.

I think I'd like some aleppo style peppers, maybe ...

Too rasiny and leathery. You can have mine lol. Picked up a huge bag of crushed from the spice store.

Maybe fresh but crushed aleppo not 4 me.

grantmichaels said:
Have to admit, that makes sense ... interesting ...

Danielle has a lot of trouble w/ red sauce destroying her stomach, which is why we don't pizza too often these days, and she likes mustard (it's her only condiment) ...

Hmm ...

I bet she'd like it w/ some sliced bratwurst, lol ...

I seen pizza in the frozen section the otherday that had bratwurst on it. I was half tempted to try it. 

PIC 1 said:

oldsalty...good for you ! Homemade pizza can be .....as good as it gets....with the right technique, ingredients and equipment.

I started back in the 70's at the original Giordano's which has the  claim to fame for their stuffed deepdish pizza..........heck we didn't make it back then.... :P

Always ferment the dough at least 24hrs in the fridge, it can go longer up to 36hrs when minimal yeast or culture is used. Flavor comes from the fermented levain  build in the dough. Although be careful with the amount of time, an over ferment can easily tare the dough.

Here's the screens, pans and stones which I bake on. A few of these pieces have been around since my high school days....and I'm glad I kept a few souvenir's , as I'm still rolling in  the dough..........har har.

I bake either in one of the ranges indoors or outdoors either in the BGE or Weber Gas. There are different types of flours for various pizza's and equip.
I use Caputo Pizzaria "00" when outdoors in the BGE. that's a neapolitan style flour that's meant to be used at temps over 700 F..and a short bake usually under 90 sec..Not recommended for the indoor as the dough will not spring and the pie will appear blond looking and tuff...........what a bitch that can be......... :lol:

However Caputo also makes a flour for temps at 550 F and lower, it's called the "Metro" mix.....It's still a fine milled Italian flour combo that's also sutible for the long fermentation period needed for the NY style "Boardwalk" pies.

You can get buy with typical AP or Bread flours......but its def worth the organic when available.

I've been doing more bread making then pizza spinning lately. There's always a container of SD Culture on the counter. I feed it once a day, and it's active for either the pizza of the baguette. While in Paris earlier this year I took a couple of bread classes....learned alot within the couple of days that I'd never master by reading or watching the utube's. Lots of hands on..........sticky hands that was. 

More flour........this time French...and it does make some of the best breads.

The combo of a good poolish, starter or biga will help add to a wonderful airy crumb and a cracking crust......this loaf was singing when I took it out of the oven. Those who bake the boules know what I mean.

Alright I know this isn't a pizza but you can see with the right fermentation and high hydration (74%) you can get the perfect moist crumb.

It can happen with the pizza too !

Read Peter's book ..........and then build that WFO for the outdoor pies.......950 F+...pizza's done in a jiffy......before the ice in the drink melts......

crum shot!

Calabrian chili's.............ground pepper/oil...infused oil.....flakes.

It pays to grow your own.

Blond pie, no sauce...Fresh Mozzarella, grated Fontina and Speziato Cheeses, Calabrian chili powder

The addition of infused Calabrian Oil rounds this pie out.

Baked in the BGE.

The plating surrounded by a few Margherita's.

PIC 1 said:

oldsalty...good for you ! Homemade pizza can be .....as good as it gets....with the right technique, ingredients and equipment.

I started back in the 70's at the original Giordano's which has the  claim to fame for their stuffed deepdish pizza..........heck we didn't make it back then.... :P

Always ferment the dough at least 24hrs in the fridge, it can go longer up to 36hrs when minimal yeast or culture is used. Flavor comes from the fermented levain  build in the dough. Although be careful with the amount of time, an over ferment can easily tare the dough.

Here's the screens, pans and stones which I bake on. A few of these pieces have been around since my high school days....and I'm glad I kept a few souvenir's , as I'm still rolling in  the dough..........har har.

I bake either in one of the ranges indoors or outdoors either in the BGE or Weber Gas. There are different types of flours for various pizza's and equip.
I use Caputo Pizzaria "00" when outdoors in the BGE. that's a neapolitan style flour that's meant to be used at temps over 700 F..and a short bake usually under 90 sec..Not recommended for the indoor as the dough will not spring and the pie will appear blond looking and tuff...........what a bitch that can be......... :lol:

However Caputo also makes a flour for temps at 550 F and lower, it's called the "Metro" mix.....It's still a fine milled Italian flour combo that's also sutible for the long fermentation period needed for the NY style "Boardwalk" pies.

You can get buy with typical AP or Bread flours......but its def worth the organic when available.

I've been doing more bread making then pizza spinning lately. There's always a container of SD Culture on the counter. I feed it once a day, and it's active for either the pizza of the baguette. While in Paris earlier this year I took a couple of bread classes....learned alot within the couple of days that I'd never master by reading or watching the utube's. Lots of hands on..........sticky hands that was. 

More flour........this time French...and it does make some of the best breads.

The combo of a good poolish, starter or biga will help add to a wonderful airy crumb and a cracking crust......this loaf was singing when I took it out of the oven. Those who bake the boules know what I mean.

Alright I know this isn't a pizza but you can see with the right fermentation and high hydration (74%) you can get the perfect moist crumb.

It can happen with the pizza too !

Read Peter's book ..........and then build that WFO for the outdoor pies.......950 F+...pizza's done in a jiffy......before the ice in the drink melts......
Are the round black ones in the back made of cast iron and if so who is the manufacturer ?

Back