• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Any seafood lovers out there ?

Ingredients: Incanestrato and Gruyere Cheses, Medium Shrimp, Squid, Scallops, Parsley, Chives, Dough (12 oz), (14" cutter pan), Lemon, Garlic, Olive Oil and White Pepper

Peel and devine Shrimp and slice in two, peel, clean and cut Squid into rings, slice Sea Scallops into coins, zest Lemon, press 8 cloves of Garlic, coarse  grate Gruyere and finely grate Incanestrato Cheeses. Roll dough thin (1/8"), dock with docker,  drape over cutter pan, add in order...scatter Lemon Zest, pressed Garlic, torn Parsley leaves, Gruyere, from rim...perimeter Shrimp, Scallops, and center with Calamari Rings. Top with grated Incanestrato and cracked White Pepper. Place pizza in pre-heated 375 deg oven for 20 min...or ( a rock glass worth of good Rum... :D )

Finished pie with Chives.......if you can imagine the taste of the  Lemon Zest/ Garlic..........gooey Cheese, then smacked with Seafood....well

If you can't..........stop back and check out the next pie...tomorrow !

So this arvo, my alter ego Pablo, got the best of me, all these pizzas lately made me want to join in the action. Pablo tookover, mixing up one of the tastiest dough i have ever had, Please you must give it a try, 24 hr cold rise, super soft dough, extra chewy, lots of air pockets.

Delicious!!!

I'll elaborate a little more on the process. I used a kitchenaid for the entire process.

5 cups High gluten flour
1 tbsp Honey
2 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 3/4 room temp water

Combined all ingredients, mix for 4-5 minutes low speed, rest for 5 minutes, mix 2 minutes low speed, rest for 5 minutes, mix 2 minutes low speed, rest for 5 minutes.

Divide into 4 equal balls, coat in EVOO, place in ziplock bag, rest at room temp for 15 minutes then and refrigerate overnight. Remove 2 hours prior to cooking.

Ok enough words......

Loads of pictures and a couple videos, please watch the videos as the second one, caused some burns to my hand..... hahaha, lucky the phone didnt melt :hot: :hot: :hot:

Getting ready, let there be Flames

IMG_0629.JPG

Ready to rock

IMG_0631.JPG

On the menu, Classic margerhita and a Anchovie, Proscuitto, Olive mix

We have some fresh mozzarella, sicilian green olives, birds eye chilli, basil, garlic, EVOO, roma and super sweet tiny tomatoes, Italian anchovies and proscuitto

IMG_0630.JPG

Hand formed dough, brand new pizza peel, lets say the other one got used for another purpose and is now broken hahaha, drunken times

IMG_0632.JPG

Top with fresh tomato base and mozz

IMG_0633.JPG

YUM, man o man, this dough is the goods, the bees knees, the ducks guts.... and so on

View attachment IMG_0634.MOV

IMG_0635.JPG

Look at that crust

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

Ok now onto the next one

IMG_0638.JPG

OUCH!

View attachment IMG_0640.MOV

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

There we go, done and dusted

PIC 1 said:
Any seafood lovers out there ?
Damn, nearly lunch time here! I want this! Wonderful look and great ingredients!
+1 for scallops!

Booma said:
So this arvo, my alter ego Pablo, got the best of me, all these pizzas lately made me want to join in the action. Pablo tookover, mixing up one of the tastiest dough i have ever had, Please you must give it a try, 24 hr cold rise, super soft dough, extra chewy, lots of air pockets.

There we go, done and dusted
Amazing! No words needed! :pray:

Absolute perfection!!!!!

The side view of the marg... the airiness of the crust... you can see it has chew... just how I like it!

Second pie... prosciutto after and not crisped.

Hot damn. Booma is back!

PIC ~ It is well known that I'm a lover of seafood and I have made more than a few pizzas with it as well. For whatever reason mine have always been just okay and didna' really yearn for one again. 

Yorn' on the other hand looks waaaaay better than mine ever did and I'd mao the hell out of it!

Boom ~ What can I say? Your pizzas look and probably taste better than any I've ever made myself. 

I hate you!

Stinkin' Aussie bastige.

But hey.

The MAN RING is back!

Boom nice pictoral ! Nothin beats a wood driven heat source, yours is prime example.

I agree with autolyzing the dough, I get the airiest Artisian bread loaves with that procedure and a very wet poolish...sometimes a 20 min rest (bowl covered with plastic wrap)
and salt added with the last spin in the k-aid.

Beautiful char on the crust !
Wish I had one of those right know...

I have to post again.

Best pies yet Booma!

That rivals NYC. Near me, I can't find the perfect pie. This place... good sauce... this place... good crust... this place... good cheese. The places DO exist but are harder to find, and not directly near me. Okay a couple are, but they are hit and miss.

I can tell your crust is perfect. Thin yet crispy at the center of the pie, but airy, and it rises like an angle to the end crust. The texture and airiness show it has chew. Crust has to have chew at the center. It can't be cardboard or taste like a crouton. It has to have that bready center.

Booma, you nailed both! (#1's crust is better).

Chingon Boom!  I liked the close up action shot in the second vid. hahaha.  I woulda stuck my phone to a pole for that one!

Pizza are looking as awesome as always.  I like using honey for the yeast as food.  They do too.  Gets a crazy airy rise when the dough hits the heat.

Now I want a pizza...

...And a pizza oven damn you :D

Thanks guys, these were up there with my favourite pizzas to date.

Pic1, so far I've only made a few loaves in this oven, but the results have been very airy abd crisp crunchy crust. Going to have to start making some more.

Combo of only cooking for myself, taking time and also not being drunk. Haha

This is definitely my favourite crust so far, as said THP; the chew is the whole way throughout the base, loved it. I think the only reason the second one wasn't as puffed was due to the dough sitting while I are the first and also the pizza oven floor being a little cooler.

And DTS, I should of just worn my gloves, but was being lazy

a couple of drinks............and a couple of pies later...

Very basic thin crust...............I theen ( right Baba Looey ? )
Ingredients: Garlic, Hickory Smoked Mozzarella and Scamorza Cheeses, San Marzano Puree, Basil and 12 oz Dough Ball ..using a 14" pizza screen.

Roll dough to 1/8" thin, ladle 1/4 c of Tomato Puree, finely dice 3 cloves of Garlic, coarse grate and scatter 1/2 c each of both Cheeses.
Place into 525 deg oven for 8 min.

Ribbon and scatter 1 Basil leaf.

Ultra thin center with a puffy rim............a few slices with a few beers will hit the spot.

Next pie will be the smallest one I'll ever make here......without throwing in a pocket Calzone............(not a Hot Pocket)............lol

Ingredients: Fresh Pearl Mozzarella, Basil, Oregano, Canned Cherry Tomatoes, Fine Sea Salt, Olive Oil, and Dough Ball (4 oz) in a 6" Deep Dish Pan (individual serving)

Oil pan and press dough up the sides, oil dough, add Motz and Tomatoes, finely dice Oregano and Basil. Bake in a 425 deg oven for 25 min.
(Top with grated Parm the last 5 minutes.)

Oh...and make sure your camera is out of focus.................... :shocked:

Finished pie..........what makes this meal a complete deal is.........

Having this individual pie along with an Antipasto Salad makes this meal rock !

Ooh, other masterpieces! I like better maybe the second, but i'd eat tons of both!

I don't want to mean any disrespect to anyone, but i think Booma and PIC 1 pizzas are the best here (i must say i haven't seen all pages of this thread btw)!
I'm impressed too of different pizza types of PIC 1, different types all well executed!

Essegi said:
Ooh, other masterpieces! I like better maybe the second, but i'd eat tons of both!

I don't want to mean any disrespect to anyone, but i think Booma and PIC 1 pizzas are the best here (i must say i haven't seen all pages of this thread btw)!
I'm impressed too of different pizza types of PIC 1, different types all well executed!

Ain't no disrespect taken.

Your statement is fact. 

Another fact.

Guys and gals that post such as yourself Essegi, Boom. PIC, DTS, SalsaLady, Jay, et.al., only inspire others digging this thread to make better pizza.

And it ain't bragging when you tell the truth.

what the heck.......a couple more pies...

Ingredients: Artichoke Hearts, Bufala Motz, Sun Ripened Tomatoes in Olive Oil, Fontina Val D Aosta Cheese,  Dough Ball (20oz)

Press Dough out,  split and scatter Artichoke Hearts, slice Sun Ripened Tomatoes ...scatter, break up Bufala, slice Fontina into strips and drizzle Dough with Oil. Bake outdoors at 750 deg

Finished pie after 9 min.

next pie...

Ingredients: Gouda Cheese (5yr), Smoked Italian Sausage, Dough Ball (16oz) Perforated Heavy 14 " Pan, , Mild Provolone, Tomato Puree, Dried Oregano 

Rool out Dough,  top with Tomato Puree, add to the Dough ...thinly slice Smoked Sausage, grate Provolone and Gouda Cheeses, sprinkle with Oregano. Bake in 400 deg oven 18 min

Finished slice with grated Parm, crushed Red Pepper and Oregano

More pies next weekend................after the Turkey leftovers are gone........... :D

PIC 1 said:
 Fontina Val D Aosta Cheese
This is interesting! It's a very good cheese for pizza, sadly it's very expensive.
Both great pizzas, maybe tomato is a little too burnt in first one but seems very tasty and characteristic; i like a lot grated cheese and crushed pepper effect above salami on the second.

Here some pizzas from other pizzerie!!!

This is from my fav pizzeria.
Why:
  • huge array of ingredients (things as 'nduja, boar salami, cream cheese, morlacco cheese, an many others)
  • very high quality (maybe not the best, but above the average)
  • lowest price (seriously... This guy manages to do some serious quality pizza being maybe the cheapest on the place... Not a coincidence they work a lot!).
I present you... Disco volante (flying disc)!
Dough, toppings, other dough.
I've found if you include mozzarella (other cheese doesn't hurt), various salami ('nuja too) and onions is very good.

iogpONhpBZZib.jpg

Isn't this pretty?

i1IuWRmXWxPEx.jpg

This thing rise!!!

ijQhQQH7hiRes.jpg

That's cool!

i9ImIbhs7y99J.jpg

And you know you will be satisfied!

ivsgjlHMM9tG5.jpg

Tastes great!

Other pizzas:

ibxJK06fqLQcAR.jpg

mozzarella, tomato, stewed bacon, smoked bacon, sausages. Turned out being one of the best pizzas i've tasted!

iHOUmkDDyyypd.jpg

margherita + Little tomatoes, pesto alla genovese , stracchino. This is great!

From another pizzaiolo:
another very good pizza maker that knows his stuff, definetly better than average:

ikkDZpBW11ou0.jpg

Panuozzo, this is a Naples thing, here is not very common. Is a kind of sandwich made with pizza dough and cooked in same way of pizza. Definetly good!

iPzT2oSuDxrlx.jpg

Onion + tuna simple and good!

Lol, next time maybe i should post something made from me...

Back