• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Interesting pie PIC 1 I'd probably go with a milder cheese, I like pesto pies but I find pesto strong when used as a base layer. I also like it in combo with the san marz sauce... thin layer tomato sauce, then swirl some pesto into the sauce like a spiral, then fresh mozz... does the goat cheese combat the pesto, both being strong?

Maybe strong is the wrong word, it's tangy.

PIC 1 said:

Another one with an airy crust.....Pesto,Fresh Motz, Goat Cheese, Prosciutto, Pepper Dew slices. Parm

Crust shot......

Time is your friend when it comes to dough. I've had containers in the fridge for 5 days......The smell is great when baking. The longer the dough ferments the easier it will roll or stretch.......there is a limit....and then it will tare.

Your recipe seems light on the water........what might happen when you roll it the dough might want to bounce back. No problem though, at that point a room temp rest for an hour will do the trick.........covered  of course.
I so want to try this! I love pesto and goat cheese! The Chew ain't got nothing on you guys.

The Hot Pepper said:
Interesting pie PIC 1 I'd probably go with a milder cheese, I like pesto pies but I find pesto strong when used as a base layer. I also like it in combo with the san marz sauce... thin layer tomato sauce, then swirl some pesto into the sauce like a spiral, then fresh mozz... does the goat cheese combat the pesto, both being strong?
Maybe strong is the wrong word, it's tangy.

Pesto can be strong, even with a high oil content type...it can acquire a taste, like anchovies.... :P 

Sure, a swirl of  red sauce would complement the pesto base. The large pieces of cheese is the fresh Motz, I actually used crumbled Goat cheese from a container...and very little at that. The chunks of Prosciutto with the finely grated Parm gave the pie the salty balance needed with the pesto. Green Olives and Artichokes would have been a plus......next time...next year

Here's a shot of the Mozzarella melt...I don't used the jarred Peppadew peppers that often but they worked here.

Here's my New Year's Eve pizzas.  Homemade dough as I mentioned above, San Marzano sauce, buffalo mozzarella, and fresh basil.  The other one is the same but with Genoa salami and pepperoni.  The dough did not puff up as much as I hoped.  I think my yeast might be old, or I didn't use enough.The taste is good.  The sauce is good, the cheese is good.

102_0009.JPG

102_0010.JPG

102_0012.JPG

102_0014.JPG

102_0015.JPG

102_0016.JPG

102_0018.JPG

102_0019.JPG

PIC 1 said:

Pesto can be strong, even with a high oil content type...it can acquire a taste, like anchovies.... :P 

Sure, a swirl of  red sauce would complement the pesto base. The large pieces of cheese is the fresh Motz, I actually used crumbled Goat cheese from a container...and very little at that. The chunks of Prosciutto with the finely grated Parm gave the pie the salty balance needed with the pesto. Green Olives and Artichokes would have been a plus......next time...next year

Here's a shot of the Mozzarella melt...I don't used the jarred Peppadew peppers that often but they worked here.

Exactly that's why I asked. I MISSED the fresh mozz, thought is all goat cheese. Now I like it much better! Haha!

Jay your pies get better each time. I like the artsy "through the grate" and spatula lift pics. Your pics are improving too!

:D

PIC 1 said:
Best pizza ever seen here, not opened to debate! A shame for chese but i speak for the crust!
You are improving in making pizza! You were already good, but not this good!

PIC 1 said:
I wanted to see that whole cooked, that one competes with the one above!

A shame that i hadn't my camera along yesterday. Maybe i made my first pizza in teglia really done right, cavities looked spectacular.
JayT said:
I think my yeast might be old
I bet on that. Somethin similar happened to me, pizza didn't rise, but was good.

HAHAHA! Essegi you rate crust by how puffy the edge is? A place here has the super puffy crust but you get less "pizza."

I don't think he improved, I think he made a puffy crust on purpose, I don't think he wants them all like that. It is a nice rise though I commented too! 

I think on his other pies he controls it by pushing sauce further out. Same airiness, just not as puffy. The marg with the flipped up crust looks perfect to me!

I speak about spots on crusts. Looks really good! Maybe there are some too big spots burnt, still i think it's better than his others.
Also i like that he didn't put sauce on borders. Borders on that kind of pizza are so good that it's a shame to cover them. Opposed to most other kinds of pizza where borders are not so good.
The Hot Pepper said:
A place here has the super puffy crust but you get less "pizza."
Same airiness, just not as puffy.
I don't understand that 2 sentences... Maybe i don't understand puffy word completely.

I'm saying you can get the same texture of crust when it doesn't puff up that big. But less sauce to edge area it will puff up more.

Like to me this to TOO puffy, and not enough "pizza!" I'd rather they sauce closer to the edge, but still get some puff. How much pizza is actually there? That slice closest to the screen has two bites in it and that's a huge pie.

(Popular NY spot)

puffy_crust.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Like to me this to TOO puffy, and not enough "pizza!"
Ok, we are on different wavelengths here. For sure you have less topped area... But a glorious border is part of the fun!
Wich one is better? Personal taste of course! :D

Yeah! Too much crust by itself is just eating bread. So sauce further out for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is all me bro!!!!!!!!!

The crust UNDERNEATH is important to me. When I get to the edge, I can take it or leave it and sometimes leave the crust. :P

margherita.jpg

I'm pretty much the same, but I've left good crust too. If I want a loaf a bread I'll order one. I don't like the 3" deep puffy crust, like in the pic above mine. :)

Making a few this weekend.........three today

Large Shrimp, Carbonara Sauce, Fontina Cheese and chopped Peppadew.

Fresh Bufala, San Marzano puree, Basil

after the bake...

probably my favorite today.....Pesto, San Marzano puree, Bufala Cheese, Green Olives, Marinated Artichokes, Capers.

the melt.

Tender crust...

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!

That last pie is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW you got the pesto with red sauce... and some of my fave toppings!!!! And buffa mozz!!!!! Excellent "puff ratio" LOL!

Are you eating all these????????????????????????????

The Hot Pepper said:
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!

That last pie is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW you got the pesto with red sauce... and some of my fave toppings!!!! And buffa mozz!!!!! Excellent "puff ratio" LOL!

Are you eating all these????????????????????????????

The Hot Pepper said:

These pizza's went between 4 of us.........plus burgers off the grill.

I just reheated the last slice of the shrimp pie in a 180 F oven on a pizza stone..........it dried the fook out of the bottom and turned it into a cracker style.........heh

Back