• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
+1 and then some

koolaide.png

I finally got my buffalo mozzarella today.  That along with a can of San Marzanos, fresh basil, and making my own dough tomorrow means my ultimate margherita is coming soon.

I have decided to take a real chance and change my dough recipe on the recommendation of my Italian friend who owns a pizza shop for the past 30 yrs.  He talked me into adding bread flour to my OO.  I am also adding a little less yeast.  I hate playing around when I am using the buffalo mozz for the first time.  It will be a shame if this turns out to be crap and I  waste $18 of cheese, and a $7 jar of San Marzano tomatoes on it.  Let's hope for the best.   Either way, you will see it here NYE.

Cool Jay! Kept the buffa mozz in a brine, water and a pinch of salt, in the fridge if not already. It can turn rubbery in a couple days.

I cooked a bunch of pies for the less fortunate a few days back ...

I've got a fresh batch of dough waiting that we started yesterday morning, that's looking nice thus far ... it just got the 2nd knock-down, a few mins ago, actually ...

I think I'll oven-pie later, and I'm going to drop something awesome (an Ode to Essegi, of sorts) in the Leftover's Thread in an hour or so ... I'm going to repeat it, and then see which instance is "better" looking ...

Also, I was able to work across the night last night (thanks to that other thread for delivering constant entertainment), and so I'm taking off work Wednesday, and there will be hijinx ...

Lot's of talk.....and no photo's..................... :P

When using the simplest of ingredients, the right hydration and a long 2 to 4 day ferment.......you should end up with a tasty soft textured crust.
Here are some of the ingredients that I always have on hand for the NP....Spring Water, Sea Salt, "00 pizzeria" Flour, a steady flow of Italian Starter Culture and a bottle of Calabrian infused Olive Oil.

Some of you that checked out the last TD may have remembered my Caribbean pie. Here's another variation using some of the same ingredients:
My Red Pepper Mash and Yellow Scotch Bonnet hot sauce.

Along with the spice mix I grated on some Italian Erba Cipollina (sheep's milk cheese with chives and chili peppers)

Here's the finished pie......for all you "Hot Head's"............it's a good one.

A simple Margherita style pie, 270g dough ball, milled San Marzano Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, dried Italian Herbs and a sprinkle of Pecorino.

.You can't stand this pie up like a rock.......it's crusty, tender and chewy at the same time. Not to sound blunt, but you can roll this one up into a funnel.

This "corcione" is so tender and airy a typical cutting wheel will deflate it..............that's a good sign

Sort of a "Rusty Blond" pie....Hedgehog and Chanterelle Mushrooms, Teleggio and Fresh Mozzarella Cheeses, Calabrian Oil

No sauce on this one, just a good melt on a cracker crust finish.

more pies tomorrow...

a few more pies

This pie has a few upscale cheeses, "Jacob & Brichford and Isigny Mimolette Young" with sliced Salami and an Arriba style sauce.

The pie actually taste great when the cheese's meld and has the chance to come to room temp......nice take with...on a picnic..........or the ski slopes..

More of a standard Margherita with large pieces of fresh Motz, pureed Tomatoes, fresh Basil and a grating of Parm

I like extra Parmigiano Reggiano, dried Italian Herbs and Crushed Red Pepper with mine

This pie has fresh sliced Cherry Tomatoes, Fresh Motz and crumbled Goat Cheeses, grating of Fontina Cheese

The sweetness of the Cherry Tomatoes with the 3 cheese combo really makes this pie tops.

I added Arugula, actually a lot more than shown....of course with a drizzle of Calabrian Oil to top it off.

Red sauce,  Fresh Garlic, Low Moisture Whole Milk Motz, Spinach, Mushrooms, Calabrian Oil........ok, so it's not a PIZZA.....

It's a Calzone.......... :party:

I just took a sheet pan "Sicilian" garden pie out of the oven.......that and a few more tomorrow...

tctenten said:
You just continue to turn out killer pizzas Greg.  Excuse my ignorance, but what is "Italian culture starter" comprised of?

Terry to sum it up it's considered a non commercial yeast. A culture is basically flour, water and a natural leavening agent (wild yeast). I have a few in my fridge that are used in bread making anywhere from Rye to San Fran Sour Dough. This particular strain was acquired from a Chicago bakery year's back. I was given a solid chunk which is considered a "Biga" which is around 30% hydrated. That was re-activated with a 50/50 mix of spring water and unbleached flour. I have a few containers of this. The bakery used there Starter Culture in their bread making and Sicilian style pizza'a. Unlike the typical Sour Dough (SD) Culture, mine has no sourness what-so-ever. But if I didn't feed the mix on a regular basis the flav will change. The Culture when active can produce an airy pizza dough or Ciabatta Bread with very little amount. I use only a few grams diluted in water for 1kg of flour.........if you need more info send me a pm.......

F**k you and your perfect pizzas!

THAT is the margherita I am used to. The TD more was rustic, this one, a nice sauce of San Marzanos as a base... cheese, basil, charring in all right areas of the crust!

And the other pies are slammin' too!

Why don't you open a pizzeria?

I gotta agree with the Boss on this one.

After years of struggling with Pizza, I thought I finally had a great dough recipe, honed my technique, and could make a decent pie, but then I come here and see Pic1's masterpieces and I'm too ashamed to post mine. Well done, sir!

The Hot Pepper said:

Booma said:
Best pizzas ever

PERFECT

i'll have to admit those pizza's are some of the classier that I've shown here......but Boom the pizza's you throw out of your wfo are Outstanding !
The Hot Pepper said:
F**k you and your perfect pizzas!

THAT is the margherita I am used to. The TD more was rustic, this one, a nice sauce of San Marzanos as a base... cheese, basil, charring in all right areas of the crust!

This one was the typical margherita that I make. You're right the TD was more cheezy rustic.....I didn't want to take the chance of 3 people wearing the same pizza....(Booma, Essegi, Me)....... :P

What we have here in the city are plenty of doughnut, taco and  fusion trucks......no one has a truck that can throwout a 60 sec pie for the lunch crowds....

Another pie with chunks of Prosciutto thrown in during the bake. Works well for the short bake, if it were paper thin slices those would have been placed on after.

What we have here in the city are plenty of doughnut, taco and  fusion trucks......no one has a truck that can throwout a 60 sec pie for the lunch crowds....

oddly enough ...

90s ;)

polpopizzaco.com

I was drunk when I first saw this but hot damn looking again just makes them better.

I don't like dried herbs on pizza though.

But how are you getting that char? Looks like a wood oven. BGE? That can't be from a conventional oven. 

Sicilian style pan pizza starts out with a well seasoned pan heavily coated Olive Oil........some places use Pomace Oli, but that's the cheap stuff.

Dough was pressed out and let rest covered for 1 hr. .Marinara sauce was spread on along with fresh Italian Sausage.

Grated low moisture whole milk Mozzarella was scattered along with Roasted Garlic, slices of Green, Yellow and Orange Sweet Bell Peppers, sliced Red Finger Hots, Red Onions and dollops of Fresh Mozzarella.

Here's the Finger Hots that I used.........plenty of hot pepper varieties at the markets, lately

Pan was baked at 425 F for 30 minutes.

Tight crumb......plenty of time for the Sausage to cook through along with a decent melt on the cheese.

Oiling the pan gives the outer crust a nice bite and flavorful texture.

more pies, over the weekend

Back