• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The last summer of my 30's: Spice and herbs on the balcony

39 is a multiple of 13, and that makes it cool.

That very important point out of the way, I've actually started planting for the season, so I figured I might as well start migrating to a new thread. How is it that I've gone through three glogs here already? I feel far internet-older than I should.

Rather than leading with the full plan, which I've already beaten to death in the winter thread, here are the first victims.

summer-basil.jpg

Yep! Not peppers. I'm going to try some companion plants. After some wicked aphid and stink bug infestations made my life less pleasant last year, I figure not only could this help keep them out, it wouldn't be bad to have some herbs. They're at least as stupidly expensive to buy in grocery stores here as they are in the US, so it couldn't hurt. These two are basil, since that's the only thing I can actually buy so far; later I'm planning on peppermint, bay laurel, chives, Thai basil, and possibly holy basil.

They're all getting planted alongside the garlic, which I've had growing for the better part of a year, but which has failed to yield any kind of useful bulbs. Doesn't matter, though, since the scapes are still awesome, and they're also supposedly supposed to be good against bugs. And, really, I just love garlic.

The first two actual peppers to go outside will be the only two mature plants I have in the tent right now, Friggitello (pepperoncini) and Sugar Rush Peach. They're both fruiting like mad, and I'm looking forward to bagging them up (from 1 gallon of coir to 5 gallons of soil) in the coming week.

last-tent-biggies.jpg

The SRP in the front really is just that awesome. While it takes a frustratingly long time to ripen, it is an excellent variety -- right at the top of my comfort zone for heat -- and it really is leaning that far over thanks to pod weight. The Friggitello in the background has one particular pod, with the white tape on it, that should be a cross between these two. I'm hoping that's the start of two or three more interesting grows that should mostly occupy the tent this summer.

Perhaps the first real sign that this summer grow has started will be when I'm sitting on my balcony, wearing my jinbei and having a drink in my little canvas tailgating chair, watching the plants grow. I promise pictures, whether anyone wants them or not.  :cool:

Mr.joe said:
Nothing like a bell pepper with ghost heat

I'm hoping to cross a couple of sweet pods with hotter ones to get medium-heat peppers that I can actually either just eat or stuff and grill (most of my friends can't deal with the higher heat either). I already should have a Friggitello x Sugar Rush Peach ripening. Also hoping to get ghost x Palermo red and possibly CGN 21500 x alma paprika. I was originally hoping for Zapotec jalapeno x corno di toro, but I'm not sure I even have any of the latter growing, and the ghost cross is more interesting anyway.

skullbiker said:
You should try growing Antep Aci Dolma.

That is the only pepper on my "I desperately want this" list. But it's a risk to have any seeds sent here at all; customs will fine you for it -- I got a really nasty letter last time I tried to have WHP send me something -- and you have to be very, very careful as a foreigner in Japan. There's a lot of good things about this place, but the immigration system is NOT one of them. My permanent residency got denied last year because my wife had a minor tax issue three years ago.

Long-winded way to say yes, I absolutely agree. ;)

internationalfish said:

That is the only pepper on my "I desperately want this" list. But it's a risk to have any seeds sent here at all; customs will fine you for it -- I got a really nasty letter last time I tried to have WHP send me something -- and you have to be very, very careful as a foreigner in Japan. There's a lot of good things about this place, but the immigration system is NOT one of them. My permanent residency got denied last year because my wife had a minor tax issue three years ago.

Long-winded way to say yes, I absolutely agree. ;)
that’s crazy...man
there are ways to get the seeds there under the radar, let’s just say I learned some very cool stealthy ways to get seeds. It stems back to my Mary Jane seed days, those Dutch can fit seeds in just about anything  ;)  :shh:
Antep is on my list, when I get some I’ll send ya an under the radar package  :halo:

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
there are ways to get the seeds there under the radar, let’s just say I learned some very cool stealthy ways to get seeds. It stems back to my Mary Jane seed days, those Dutch can fit seeds in just about anything  ;)  :shh:
Antep is on my list, when I get some I’ll send ya an under the radar package  :halo:

I appreciate that! Sir Paul already got me some double-secret-probation seeds, which is the only reason I'm growing Trippaul Threat and Purple Thunder (not to mention Lemon Starrburst). Just gotta be really careful about it here. Drop me a line! I should be able to provide something interesting in trade.  :silenced:

Speaking of the post and reasons it wouldn't be running, I got a very important package today. The Japanese government cocked up its pandemic response in a very special way; it promised every family a shipment of three two masks. Which... by itself... pretty damn pathetic. But they even screwed that up; most of what went out was defective, including moldy masks, which resulted in an actual recall. Impressive... most impressive.

But they persevered, 'cause that's what Japanese do, and we got our shipment... on the exact day they lifted the last of the prefectural restrictions. 
lol.gif

DAT-THIRD-ARROW.jpg

My tax dollars pay for a lot of comically dumb things, but there aren't many I can hang on the wall and laugh at. Thank you, Prime Minister Abe, and may you get absolutely everything you deserve.

Mr.joe said:
Lol, yea it seems they dropped the ball on the masks. You survived without anyways. I personally don't know anything about smuggling seeds, but I don't mind sending you a hacky sack or something if you are ever in need.

Haha, that's an awesome idea. Thanks! 
lol.gif

For the most part I'm set on seeds. Still got more than a couple varieties I haven't even grown yet from orders that got through when customs didn't care.

internationalfish said:

Haha, that's an awesome idea. Thanks! 
lol.gif

For the most part I'm set on seeds. Still got more than a couple varieties I haven't even grown yet from orders that got through when customs didn't care.
Good deal, just let us know before things get dire just in case we lose a shipment or two. Can't have you going without just because they don't want you to grow stuff.

Mr.joe said:
Good deal, just let us know before things get dire just in case we lose a shipment or two. Can't have you going without just because they don't want you to grow stuff.

It's not that the JP gov doesn't want people to grow things, they are just protecting their own international trade interests. Japan does a lot of trade in the international seed markets and of course they want it to be certified disease-free. Bringing in unknown seeds could contaminate the local nurseries in one way or another causing loss of business aand reputation.

podz said:
It's not that the JP gov doesn't want people to grow things, they are just protecting their own international trade interests. Japan does a lot of trade in the international seed markets and of course they want it to be certified disease-free. Bringing in unknown seeds could contaminate the local nurseries in one way or another causing loss of business aand reputation.

It does make sense that they want phytosanitary certificates for imported seeds. It just really sucks that those aren't priced in a way that's reasonable for consumer seed purchases (80USD for one if you're getting it in the US, I think it was last time I looked) and that there are just so few sellers domestically with any kind of interesting stock. Certainly not the kind of craziness we like to grow on this forum. ;)

Quick tent update.

I think I mentioned this little CGN 21500 that got its roots completely chopped off. It's been just kind of not dying for a while, but it just started sprouting at the nodes, so it looks like we're safe on this one.

cgn-recovery.jpg

I think one of the other coir transplants is also a 21500, but since I dropped the tag while replanting it and it seems to have lost its leaf color, I couldn't tell you which it is.

My Pepper Joe's "yellow Scotch bonnet" continues to develop its single fruit (kind of a running theme in the tent). 

pj-barnum.jpg

I've never watched this kind of pepper ripen, so I don't know how good the odds are, but I'm not really considering putting money on this one.

Last, but not least, I pulled the ripe pods off the canned Nanbu. Looking forward to... I don't know, doing something with them, I suppose. Stir fry?

nambu.jpg

Those Palermo red plants are growing freakishly fast. Planning to move one outside tomorrow; hopefully this is a good sign it'll grow true and I can look forward to trying out at least one cross with those. :)

I was watering the tent plants today and I just bumped the pod on that Pepper Joe's plant. Well apparently that's just way too much.

uh-huh.jpg

It's less like an off-pheno plant and more like a Chinese knockoff of a pepper plant. What the hell?

In more pleasant news, the Palermo reds really are doing well. This is one I'm giving to a friend, and it's the runt of the litter...

philermo.jpg

And saving the best for last, one of my KS Lemon Starrburst has finally started to ripen! The color is looking solid.

ripening-starrburst.jpg

I don't think this is the best pheno I have growing, but it's not bad, and I'm really stoked to finally see some color on these. :)

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
That sux about the pod, walked outside the other day to find one around that size on top of the soil. Apparently some pepper plants don’t like to be touched or don’t like a spring breeze  :snooty:
KSLS looks solid though can’t wait to see the final color  :clap:

Yeah, man, and I think that KSLS picture is probably the least awful photo I've taken in months... 
lol.gif

Not a lot of good news...

My only candidate Friggitello x SRP pod ripened, and when I cut it open... mold. I took the seeds that seemed the cleanest and I'm trying to get a few sprouts (plus a separate bag of everything else, just in case a miracle happens), but it looks like a bust. Really sucks.

Also, the tent definitely had (or has, most likely) another ugly thrips infection, as well as what I assume are fungus gnats. Since there was plenty of fungus, and then there were gnats. So I nuked the site from orbit: The last of the Kratky got moved to coir, all of the coir got topped with perlite, everything got coated with Castile soap and neem oil, and now everything is getting bottom watered. If that doesn't help... I don't know.

The Friggitello outside is still producing but not really growing. Same with the SRP. The alma paprika might be growing a little bit, but not much, and the jalapeno seems not to be growing at all... I got a palermo red plant outside, which I'm not sure about yet, since it was pretty big when it went out and it's only had about a week to acclimate. I do know, however, that the aphids and god knows what else jumped on me right away this year, and despite two treatments I haven't been able to make progress. I really hate bugs.

The tent plants are split between both shelves again... the cans are doing well. Actually, most things in the tent are doing well, despite the bugs. I should probably get a few plants into 1-gallon coir bags soon, I'm just still not sure what some of them are, which is extremely frustrating.

This is what's inside, since outside is just depressing:

...oh. Google Photos appears to be broken right now.

I guess that means I can't post my hopefully-ripening Trippaul Threat pod in that thread, either, so that's unfortunate. I guess I'll get pictures up some day when Google deems me worthy.  :confused:

Back