• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The Main Garden-Pics

Well, it's that time again folks, time to show off the Main Garden(I have a bunch of smaller gardens, but they are not as impressive). Enjoy and post any questions or comments you may have(ie: what's that plant, ect ect)

maingarden.jpg

The left side of the main garden(those are tomato plants to the left of Dave, who is 6'2")

maingarden2.jpg

The right side of the main garden.

onion.jpg

Co-gardener/roommate Dave Reed holding up our largest Candy Onion.

tobacco.jpg

Havana Tobacco

Nice garden? What do you do with the tobacco, roll it yourself or hire a cuban? What kind of tomatoes? looks like some cherries.

imaguitargod said:
Enjoy and post any questions or comments you may have(ie: what's that plant, ect ect)

Very nice. Where are the peppers?!?!?! I know that there are strange laws in the south for growing tabacco. Do they also exist in CA? Or is it a federal regulation? And now that I have seen Dave in his Batman shorts.......I'm not so self consicous about my Flaming Hot Pepper PJ's. Hell I might even wear them to work tomorrow!!:cheers: (Just playin' Dave)

POTAWIE said:
What do you do with the tobacco, roll it yourself or hire a cuban?
Yes, his name is Juan and he sails in from cuba every week in a styrophome cup to roll me cigars...I pay him with Amaranth grain...:cheers:
But seriously, I will be rolling my own cigars.

POTAWIE said:
What kind of tomatoes? looks like some cherries.
Behind Dave are Cherries, to the left is the Super Souix, and then sequentially are Burbank, Super Souix, and then Martain Giant.

sixstring75 said:
Very nice. Where are the peppers?!?!?!
In the first pic with Dave to his right at the base of his foot are a Caribbean Red Hot and about 6 Tepins...and the rest of the peppers are spread out between my house and the house next door(where I do graphic design). Those pictures are located at this thread.

sixstring75 said:
I know that there are strange laws in the south for growing tabacco. Do they also exist in CA? Or is it a federal regulation?
Not sure, but also don't really care about Federal Laws those in the know will know what I mean because they will have already located what I am referring to in the previous pictures...:lol:

imaguitargod said:
Not sure, but also don't really care about Federal Laws those in the know will know what I mean because they will have already located what I am referring to in the previous pictures...;)

Hey Passow, Buddy ole pal, the Cap would love to do a review for ya! :cheers: :lol:

Now you need to start growing some barley and hops. Is that ripe pears? Nice. Grass looks a little sad, I mean your lawn looks a little dry.
I had a similar runaway pumpkin last year that ended up climbing at least 20 feet up a tree. You can imagine what happened when pumpkins started forming. Ya the jenga effect. This year more pumpkin weeds and tomitillo weeds everywhere.
What's the white pipe in front of the tobacco for, deep watering?
What sort of climate/care is needed for Havana tobacco? I love growing plants uncommon to Canada, where I live. Now you got me interested.

Cap said:
Hey Passow, Buddy[/I'] ole pal, the Cap would love to do a review for ya! :shocked: ;)

Lol, come on out t Los Angeles and I'll see what I can do ;)

POTAWIE said:
Now you need to start growing some barley and hops. Is that ripe pears? Nice. Grass looks a little sad, I mean your lawn looks a little dry.
I thought of doing that this year, but decided to pass. Those are ripe Lemons(actually it's a cross between a Lemon and a Orange). The lawn is iin a sad state, we are currently in the process of expanding the garden another 5 feet so we really are not watering that section much.

POTAWIE said:
This year more pumpkin weeds and tomitillo weeds everywhere.
Ya, I keep getting volunteer plants from last year's crop.

POTAWIE said:
What's the white pipe in front of the tobacco for, deep watering?
DING DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner! Yes, that pipe goes down about 1.5-2 feet for deep saturation of water.

POTAWIE said:
What sort of climate/care is needed for Havana tobacco?
As long as you have summers in the 70 degree range and higher and no permifrost you should do fine. This plant can also be grown in a pot indoors, granted you won't get as big of a harvest, but you'll still get enough to smoke.

As for care, they can be a little care intensive. The hardest part is germination of the seeds(which are about the size of a grain of sand). They take about 1-3 weeks to hatch and have tobe kept out of direct sunlight until their leaves aree much bigger. Then you have to keep the ground well watered because they have shallow roots and dry out fast(depending on your climate and how fast the soil gets dry, which in Los Angeles is very fast!). They are a really neet plant to grow and their flowers have striking resemelence to marijuana buds(possably due to them both being a hallucinogenic agent...and to those that don't know, yes, tobacco is actually a mild hallucinogen). Plus, they grow to be about 5 feet tall which is an added bonus, tall plants are always cool to grow(last year I grew tall corn which grew to 12 feet 9 inches and out of 49 plants yieleded 14 pounds of corn seed).

If your looking for a really cool large plant, my favorite is the Castor Bean plant (Ricinus communis L.) It comes in red and green and can grow well over 8ft in a year and bushy. It has to be the most tropical looking annual around and grows well even in Canada. Caution, seeds are very poisonous. Flowers are small but seed pods are huge and look like spikey underwater creatures.

This one is over 6ft, taller than me. and its only July

POTAWIE said:
If your looking for a really cool large plant, my favorite is the Castor Bean plant (Ricinus communis L.) It comes in red and green and can grow well over 8ft in a year and bushy. It has to be the most tropical looking annual around and grows well even in Canada. Caution, seeds are very poisonous. Flowers are small but seed pods are huge and look like spikey underwater creatures.

This one is over 6ft, taller than me. and its only July

Okay, nuther dumb question. What is a Castor bean plant? It looks really cool!
It looks like a cross between a Banana tree and Poke salad. Note: Poke salad grows wild in the south and is prepared like mustard greens. Not a joke.

Castor Bean or Castor Oil plant. Mostly ornamental. I remember something about folklore remedies and something about making lubricants from plant (not seeds). A quick google search will give you plenty of info. Many deaths associated with this plant some idiots, some homicide. One site recommends cutting off seeds when young but thats the coolest looking part. Make sure not to have adventurous pets or children to be on the safe side.

POTAWIE said:
Castor Bean or Castor Oil plant.
I've been trying to find the thread where you posted the picture of you Castor Bean plant...and I found it.

Your going to laugh Potawie....that plant is considered just short of weed around here. They grow EVERYWHERE in Hollywood!

Do they grow big? I love growing these plants and actually have a very small local competition every year.

Here's my winner Aug 6

good luck on rolling your own cigars. i hear thats quite a task, and you would probably fair better to buy a romeo y julieta at the nearest cigar shop. :lol:

Back