• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The next time you think you need Cal/Mag...

from what i understand as well, the Chinese are the biggest polluters in the world, my dad was watching a documentary and was telling me about it. i will have to find out what it was he was watching, but from what he told me china is the biggest nastiest polluters in the world and they are responsible for over 50% of the pollution, second is america, then canada. and america might be the nastiest eaters and canada following right behind, but every country is slowly getting there. 

AaronTT said:
That is true for the most part, but i believe it is changing. Heavy metal and chemical contamination is not restricted only to the U.S. Your in Japan, and I bet that what happened in Fukoshima will lower the longevity of the Japanese, especially since many are large consumers of seafood. The Japanese gov. has not told the whole truth about how bad it really is over there. I hope to be wrong though as I don't wish bad health on anyone.
 speculate less, read more.
http://www.unscear.org/docs/reports/2008/11-80076_Report_2008_Annex_D.pdf

AaronTT said:
Not really. The myth that people are living longer only applies if you take the whole of the population and compare it to the dark ages or other times when life expectancy was lower. However, if you examine the differences between generations a different picture emerges. People will look at how long the generation before the baby boomers lived and say see, we are living much longer. That generation had little to no chemicals in their foods and in fact grew a lot of it themselves and understood how to eat by combining different foods; had proper sanitation and actually exercised. They did not fight for the closest parking space to the mall, or drive their car to the mailbox, and in fact they were quite active. However as you come to the baby boomers, and the generations after them you will see a drop in life expectancy. They did not learn from their parents, and instead became overweight and stopped exercising, and  consumed whatever was put in front of them, regardless if had any value. Chemicals and other practices became common in their foods, and no one thought twice about it, except for the rare few that could actually think for themselves. They did not question anything, and thus suffered and are suffering for their ignorance. Now I know that might sound harsh, and of course I realize that not all of them are this way, however the vast majority are. I will wager that their generation will not live nearly as long as their parents, and the generations after them will see a substantial drop due to diseases such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Most of this is due to their horrible dietary habits, lack of exercise and the pollution of the food supply, and more importantly, ignorance. As well, parents can only pass on nutrients that they themselves have. The lack of some vitamins and minerals alter genetics, which in turn leaves their children more prone to diseases as their nutritional base is much lower than their grandparents. I have seen many people who will not touch a vegetable, eat basically the same junk day after day, then wonder why they have cancer and other problems that their parents and grand parents avoided :rolleyes: . I am not saying that their grandparents had absolutely none of these problems, but it was on a much smaller scale. Anyone remember when people used to die in their sleep simply from old age, and not some disease? Its becoming less and less common.
No one thinks anymore, instead others do the thinking for them. Then when someone like me points out in a respectful way what should be obvious, they get mad. Now a days people care more about being right, then knowing the truth. Well there is a price to pay for putting your head in the sand. Its like our country which is on the verge of an economic collapse, and people actually believe the economy is getting better. Why? Because someone on television said so? People will ignore the hardcore facts, and instead believe the hype that is pushed by likeable and believable people. Again not many people think for themselves and take the time and effort to check the facts. I think we are in the age of lower intelligence.
For the record I am not implying that your this way. I am just saying that the common blanket statement about people living longer is not really true if its critically examined in its entirety, and here are some of the reasons why I believe that.

That's not entirely accurate. The average life and average life span are actually two very different things. There is inarguably a rise in average life span from as recent as 1910- present. One does not have to reach back into the dark ages to find an improvement. This is due to an increase in higher level medical care and research. While genetically modified and hormone injected food is a widely accepted culprit to our increasing risk of heart disease and cancer, it has also made food more widely available and the average family has more than enough food for itself (as bad as that also has become). There is an obvious trade off at hand with what need to survive and what we must then survive through. The dichotomy of increased cancer rates with a larger surplus of food (with land at a premium) is growing more obvious everyday. It also begs to be said, even with the increase in cases of cancer, for instance, the mortality rate is falling as new research and drugs are produced.

We are always substituting one method of death for another. You can either starve or eat food that'll kill you.

You may expect Fukushima to lower the life expectancy, and you may be right or you may be wrong. However you have to keep in mind Japan (the size of CA) was also subjected to two atomic bombs + the fallout. And yet they still out class Americans (and many other countries*) when it comes to life span and general health. That isn't to say there are no obese people in Japan, or that cancer is rare here (as a matter of fact I think its quite common, but for whatever reason I have no idea). Nor can anyone say that Japan has no pollution or contamination** from this or that.

My point being, I think environmental factors (at least in the developed world) play a smaller role in overall general health and life expectancy compared to differences in lifestyle/cultural/society. Your post that started us on this discussion (way off topic from the OP btw) suggested that seafood and kelp would/could be detrimental in the long scheme of things. And it may or it might, but so does anything else. Fact is however that there are countries out there who consume a lot of fish and kelp/seaweed as a part of their diet and are still outliving those in fear of it. So perhaps the potential negatives are not so scary. And perhaps in general it has more to do with the fact that, despite the stuff they are putting into their bodies, they are in general more active and known when to stop stuffing their faces.

* I just looked up the 2013 WHO report on average life expectancy for 2013 and Japan comes in 2nd, Monaco is 1st and the US is 35.

Nifdfirefighter said:
That's not entirely accurate. The average life and average life span are actually two very different things. There is inarguably a rise in average life span from as recent as 1910- present. One does not have to reach back into the dark ages to find an improvement. This is due to an increase in higher level medical care and research. While genetically modified and hormone injected food is a widely accepted culprit to our increasing risk of heart disease and cancer, it has also made food more widely available and the average family has more than enough food for itself (as bad as that also has become). There is an obvious trade off at hand with what need to survive and what we must then survive through. The dichotomy of increased cancer rates with a larger surplus of food (with land at a premium) is growing more obvious everyday. It also begs to be said, even with the increase in cases of cancer, for instance, the mortality rate is falling as new research and drugs are produced.

We are always substituting one method of death for another. You can either starve or eat food that'll kill you.
First, I find it quite interesting that your first post on Thehotpepper.com is to debate me, that is quite interesting....

I would agree with some of your statements, but not all of them.  You said that genetically modified and hormone injected foods has made foods more widely available because of their creation. I would argue that globalization is why foods are more available. If a crop fails in America, they can ship it in from South America, or China or anywhere else food is grown. Its globalization that is the real reason as to why foods are more available, not gmos.

I won't disagree with you in regards to certain drugs such as penicillin that has allowed many lives to be saved, but considering that drugs are one of the major causes of death its a mute point. However I will give you that one.
Finally, you only allowed two options in regards to either death from starvation or death from poison foods. The third option is to buy and consume organic, and learn how to combine foods properly like our ancestors did. Of course one has to check their supplies to make sure its truly organic as Walmart and other companies utilize organics that are not really. If a major farm has been using chemicals for years, and then converts to organic its a waste of money, and quite deceiving. The heavy metals and pesticide/herbicide residues that are more concentrated in the soil still remain. If one is picky and uses small farms who have grown this way for years, the chances of finding good clean food is raised dramatically. So there is a third option. Also one can grow a portion of their food and have further control over what they put into their bodies.

filmost said:
You may expect Fukushima to lower the life expectancy, and you may be right or you may be wrong. However you have to keep in mind Japan (the size of CA) was also subjected to two atomic bombs + the fallout. And yet they still out class Americans (and many other countries*) when it comes to life span and general health. That isn't to say there are no obese people in Japan, or that cancer is rare here (as a matter of fact I think its quite common, but for whatever reason I have no idea). Nor can anyone say that Japan has no pollution or contamination** from this or that.

My point being, I think environmental factors (at least in the developed world) play a smaller role in overall general health and life expectancy compared to differences in lifestyle/cultural/society. Your post that started us on this discussion (way off topic from the OP btw) suggested that seafood and kelp would/could be detrimental in the long scheme of things. And it may or it might, but so does anything else. Fact is however that there are countries out there who consume a lot of fish and kelp/seaweed as a part of their diet and are still outliving those in fear of it. So perhaps the potential negatives are not so scary. And perhaps in general it has more to do with the fact that, despite the stuff they are putting into their bodies, they are in general more active and known when to stop stuffing their faces.

* I just looked up the 2013 WHO report on average life expectancy for 2013 and Japan comes in 2nd, Monaco is 1st and the US is 35.
I agree that the Japanese diet and them being active is a big reason as to why they have longevity. However, I would not doubt that at least one of the reasons as to why they still have a fairly high rate of cancer is the radiation,and other pollutants. Which further proves to me why eating properly is so important to combat the environmental toxins we are being bombarded with on a daily basis, as well as minimizing our exposure to what we can avoid. Just common sense. I have seen too many studies that have shown how its the accumulative effects that we expose ourselves to on a daily basis that are some of the real causes of many diseases. What do I mean? People have chemicals in their soaps, hair and skin care products, utilize toxic cookware, drink tap water that has many many contaminants, eat way too many refined sugars and eat lots of processed foods that lack vital nutrients and are contaminated. I could go on and on. Point is that if you minimize exposure to these things, your health will be rewarded. I also agree that the Japanese not stuffing their faces is another reason why they live longer. Your health is your greatest wealth.
I realize I might have struck a nerve mentioning the contamination of seaweeds and fish emulsions. I am not saying that every single one is bad. A lot of people on thehotpepper use these, and so I can understand. Only that if it is not checked and or the levels are high in different contaminants, you might want to avoid these. If you find good clean sources than great, but its a fact that recently many have become contaminated.

AaronTT said:
First, I find it quite interesting that your first post on Thehotpepper.com is to debate me, that is quite interesting....

I would agree with some of your statements, but not all of them.  You said that genetically modified and hormone injected foods has made foods more widely available because of their creation. I would argue that globalization is why foods are more available. If a crop fails in America, they can ship it in from South America, or China or anywhere else food is grown. Its globalization that is the real reason as to why foods are more available, not gmos.

I won't disagree with you in regards to certain drugs such as penicillin that has allowed many lives to be saved, but considering that drugs are one of the major causes of death its a mute point. However I will give you that one.
Finally, you only allowed two options in regards to either death from starvation or death from poison foods. The third option is to buy and consume organic, and learn how to combine foods properly like our ancestors did. Of course one has to check their supplies to make sure its truly organic as Walmart and other companies utilize organics that are not really. If a major farm has been using chemicals for years, and then converts to organic its a waste of money, and quite deceiving. The heavy metals and pesticide/herbicide residues that are more concentrated in the soil still remain. If one is picky and uses small farms who have grown this way for years, the chances of finding good clean food is raised dramatically. So there is a third option. Also one can grow a portion of their food and have further control over what they put into their bodies.

I agree that the Japanese diet and them being active is a big reason as to why they have longevity. However, I would not doubt that at least one of the reasons as to why they still have a fairly high rate of cancer is the radiation,and other pollutants. Which further proves to me why eating properly is so important to combat the environmental toxins we are being bombarded with on a daily basis, as well as minimizing our exposure to what we can avoid. Just common sense. I have seen too many studies that have shown how its the accumulative effects that we expose ourselves to on a daily basis that are some of the real causes of many diseases. What do I mean? People have chemicals in their soaps, hair and skin care products, utilize toxic cookware, drink tap water that has many many contaminants, eat way too many refined sugars and eat lots of processed foods that lack vital nutrients and are contaminated. I could go on and on. Point is that if you minimize exposure to these things, your health will be rewarded. I also agree that the Japanese not stuffing their faces is another reason why they live longer. Your health is your greatest wealth.
I realize I might have struck a nerve mentioning the contamination of seaweeds and fish emulsions. I am not saying that every single one is bad. A lot of people on thehotpepper use these, and so I can understand. Only that if it is not checked and or the levels are high in different contaminants, you might want to avoid these. If you find good clean sources than great, but its a fact that recently many have become contaminated.
I tend to only speak when I feel competent in the subject matter. I figured the concept of easier access to food was redundant as I feel you were a smart enough guy to make it not worth mentioning. The same can be said about other options for food supply, it was merely sarcasm on my part.

I would not say globalism is redundant, as it is the very reason as to why food has become more available.  That is the equivalent of saying that light has nothing to do with why the sky is bright. Its the very essence as to why it is that way.
The other options I spoke about are still worth mentioning because of their value on human health, and those whom has studied this deeply come to the same conclusions.

Yeah, this one did get a bit derailed, and I take at least partial responsibility for that. Sorry guys. I kind of feel trolled though, as the last guy's only two posts on Thehotpepper are to debate what I said. That tends to energize me to argue, but I should probably just walk away from that.

My intentions were never to cause any problems, I just wanted to give some of the facts I learned, and to inform those who might be using these ferts. to consider looking into the heavy metal content, and to make sure its up to date, as these findings were recent. It was never to put down what Proundmarinedad said. I guess some take it personally.

I believe both Cal-mag and clean kelp are both excellent amendments, and both in some form or another has been used for thousands of years. I have personally used kelp with good results as well as a natural cal-mag. I have mixed dolomite lime and epsom salts with amazing results. The extra magnesium seems to really help out, at least for me. I mix a little of both together when transplanting my peppers. In fact I have received some pepper plants a short while back which were not doing so well, as they had some yellowing of the leaves everywhere and looked a bit thin and sickly. When I added this mix and other things together, they rebounded quite fast with much greener and larger newer leaves. Now, they look very good.

ikeepfish said:
Holy crap.

You guys aren't drinking the fermented sugar beet molasses are you?
Yeah, probably just a little :lol:  It gives me that fighting spirit.

Back